PIU ZERO Tournament, Bloomington IN, March 24-25

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

PIU ZERO Tournament, Bloomington IN, March 24-25

Post by malictus » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:36 am

(Post edited March 05 with updated rules, times and info.)

PUMP-IT-UP TOURNAMENT!!

Date: March 24-25, 2006
Location: Great X-Scape Arcade, College Mall, Bloomington, IN
[During the event, the machine will be placed in the Center Court area in the mall]
Times: Friday 5PM – 9PM; Saturday Noon-9PM
Price: $10 (covers all events and freeplay both days)

This event will consist of three different activities: freeplay, a freestyle tournament, and a technical tournament.

- Your $10 covers entry for all three events, but you do not have to participate in everything (for instance, some people may not be interested in the participating in the freestyle event).
- You may sign up in advance at Great X-Scape arcade. Signups will also be accepted on the event days.
- There will be PRIZES given to the top finishers in the technical and freestyle tournaments, and other prizes will be given out by random drawing. EVERYONE, regardless of skill level, has a chance to win a prize!!!
- The freestyle and technical tournaments will be held on Saturday. There will be a qualifying round on Friday for the technical tournament, but you may also qualify on Saturday in you cannot attend on Friday.
- The tournament will be held on the PUMP IT UP: ZERO machine!

Freestyle tournament details:
Each contestant should choose 2 songs to perform. For the freestyle tournament, score isn’t all that important; it’s your style that counts! You can choose any songs on any difficulty. For each song, a number of judges will rank your performance on style, technique, and audience response. The winner will be the contestant who has the best combined score on both songs.
IMPORTANT: Round one of the freestyle tournament will be at 1PM, and round two will be at 3:30PM. If you are interested in participating in this event, make sure you are present at these times!

Technical tournament details
The technical tournament is designed to be fun for everyone; don’t be afraid to try it, even if you don’t have much experience. The rules are as follows:

- Qualifying songs may be attempted any time on Friday or Saturday, before the start of the tournament. The regular tournament rounds will start at 1:30PM. You MUST show up by 1:30 to participate!!!
- The tournament will be a standard double-elimination NCAA-style tournament. NOTE: If a large number of people enter, the tournament may shift to single elimination to fit into time constraints.
- Placement in the tournament will be based on a qualifying round. For the qualifying round, each entrant will pick ONE song (Arcade station only), on any difficulty; Freestyle and Nightmare may be chosen as well as the usual Singles difficulties. Any modifications may be used. Placement will be based on TOTAL SCORE on this single song.
- The regular rounds will consist of two songs; each entrant in turn will get to select the song, difficulty (only singles), and side of the pad. Only speed mods may be used; no other mods are allowed. The winner of each song will be based on the following formula: (PERFECTS *2) + GREATS.
- If one player wins both songs, that player is declared the winner and moves on to the next round. If each player wins one of the songs, there will be a tiebreaker round. The tiebreaker round will be a single song, randomly chosen, on a random difficulty.
- During the normal portion of the tournament you may only choose songs from Arcade Station; however, when the tournament is down to the final 4 (in both the winners and losers brackets), either contestant may instead choose a Remix Station song.
- You may only choose a single song/difficulty combination once during the entire tournament.
- The machine will be on Event Mode (fail off) for the entire tournament. Failing a song has no bearing on scoring.
Last edited by malictus on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:39 am

Mods: Could you sticky this thread and un-sticky the other one? Thx

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:57 pm

Oh shi, looks like I may need to house people again.

FLAKK
Heavy
Heavy

Post by FLAKK » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:35 pm

How late would the mall be open on Friday and are there any events that day? I'm trying to figure out if it'd be worth getting a hotel room for that night or just drive up on Saturday.
Yea, I'm like Mother Teresa, except I pwn.

Yume_Taira
Standard
Standard

Post by Yume_Taira » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:24 pm

Hey...I'm on Spring Break then! If I'm not out vacationing, I'd love to go and hang out with everyone (and of course play...now that I know I have some training grounds.)

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:00 am

Well then, I think I may just have to go to this. Just have to make sure I request those days off work, and get a damn car by then.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:52 am

FLAKK wrote:How late would the mall be open on Friday and are there any events that day? I'm trying to figure out if it'd be worth getting a hotel room for that night or just drive up on Saturday.
The mall will be open until 9PM and we won't be able to play later than that. We'll probably be doing some qualifying rounds that evening, but there are no other events planned other than free play, and you'll be able to qualify on Saturday as well.

If you do plan on coming down and staying the night, there are probably people that you could stay with here in town to avoid having to pay a motel bill...

FLAKK
Heavy
Heavy

Post by FLAKK » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:59 pm

There'd be anywhere from two to five of us going.

Jason Dread
Standard
Standard

Post by Jason Dread » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:30 am

Actually, in talking it would probably be onnly Flakk and I on an overnight stay. If anyone is willing to allow us stay in their house for the evening, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Just private message Flakk or I about details and such.

FLAKK
Heavy
Heavy

Post by FLAKK » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:54 pm

Umm, bump. Is there any new info such as what time the tournies start?

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:12 am

Sorry, I've gotten swamped at work and haven't had much time to organize. Yes, everything is stil definitely happening, and I'll post rules and times very soon. Promise :D

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:22 pm

Let's cram everyone into my dorm room!

FLAKK
Heavy
Heavy

Post by FLAKK » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:48 am

Hey, it sure beats paying $50+ for a motel room.

RyogAkari
Standard
Standard

Post by RyogAkari » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:50 am

How did you get an ipod for a prize? Did Macintosh actually sponsor it themselves or was it another business? I think thats so cool that you secured such an awesome prize.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:24 pm

It's being provided by the arcade manager. He's also paying quite a bit of money to allow the tournament to be in the center court area...