PIU ZERO Tournament, Bloomington IN, March 24-25

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:36 pm

Looks like I need to learn to play Nightmare a.s.a.p.

FLAKK
Heavy
Heavy

Post by FLAKK » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:26 pm

malictus wrote:Just to let everyone know, there is a chance that the machine will be upgraded to Zero BEFORE the tournament; I just informed them that this would be a good idea, and not to wait until after the tournament if it's possible to get it sooner.

:!: :!:

I'll keep you guys informed...
YAY :D
Yea, I'm like Mother Teresa, except I pwn.

Jason Dread
Standard
Standard

Post by Jason Dread » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:25 am

FLAKK wrote:
malictus wrote:Just to let everyone know, there is a chance that the machine will be upgraded to Zero BEFORE the tournament; I just informed them that this would be a good idea, and not to wait until after the tournament if it's possible to get it sooner.

:!: :!:

I'll keep you guys informed...
YAY :D
Seconded that yay! :-D

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:43 am

Two items:

1) If the owner has any difficulty securing Zero in time for the tournament, I would be willing to entertain working out some sort of a temporary loan of my kit. I think Zero would be great draw and would like to help you make this as successful as possible.

2) Please remind me to share my pre-made double elimination brackets with you. The losers bracket is not at all straight forward, and I can probably save you a lot of effort.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:24 am

Ho wrote:1) If the owner has any difficulty securing Zero in time for the tournament, I would be willing to entertain working out some sort of a temporary loan of my kit. I think Zero would be great draw and would like to help you make this as successful as possible.
Very much appreciated; however I don't think it'll be necessary since it has already been ordered and should be there in 'about a week' :!:
Ho wrote:2) Please remind me to share my pre-made double elimination brackets with you. The losers bracket is not at all straight forward, and I can probably save you a lot of effort.
That would definitely help; every time I wait until the last minute and then struggle to remember how to do it.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:19 pm

Oh, and Brian, do you see any significant changes that would have to made to the rules if/when we get Zero?

Secef
Standard
Standard

Post by Secef » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:48 pm

malictus wrote:...it has already been ordered and should be there in 'about a week' :!:
EH?

Really? That's some very awesome news, Jim. :D

Jason Dread
Standard
Standard

Post by Jason Dread » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:39 pm

malictus wrote:Oh, and Brian, do you see any significant changes that would have to made to the rules if/when we get Zero?
Well, from what I know Zero plays just like Exceed 1/2 except with the obvious new songs and omission of quite a few old ones. Remix station is still fair game for the later brackets, especially since there are 3 new ones that have been added in and none removed.

At least that's my take. :wink:

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:49 pm

Gameplay is virtually identical in arcade and remix station. Battle station has been removed. Do you want easy station or mission station to be playable? The only thing to be aware of is that the scoring system is not identical to Exceed 2's, though that change would only affect your qualifier since you are using a dance point like system for actual tournament scores.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:05 pm

UH WHAAAAA?????????

I can't help but be mildly upset. Let's look at the timeline...

Bloomington gets Premier 2 (I think) for a few weeks during a local fair. Fair leaves, I go back to playing DDR.

Bloomington gets Exceed at a local bowling alley. A month later mysteriously vanishes.

Bloomington gets Exceed 2. It sticks around for a few months giving me a chance to get to know the songs, layout, ect. Finally now that I learn those things, it goes.

Now Bloomington gets Zero. New songs to learn, new interface to play, no chance of a price decrease.

This remindes me of the trip Casey, Jim, Shammers, and myself took to play Extreme when it first came out. Sure it was neat seeing the lastest mix, but I'd only been playing for about a month. I was already unfamiliar with most of the songs. I just don't think many of the Bloomington players can really appreciate the change seeing as we haven't tapped Exceed 2 for all it's worth.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:38 pm

I understand your concerns. The loss of some songs is a bummer (though not too many are gone). But I think that ZERO has so many improvements over Exceed 2--especially in its accessibility to new players--that it will really help drive your Pump community forward.

Jason Dread
Standard
Standard

Post by Jason Dread » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:43 am

I don't see much to be upset about, at least you guys in Bloomington have been on teh cutting edge of mixes that have come out. Zero is a much deserved improvement over X2, and that's not saying most of it has left. In fact, most of X2 is on Zero (including new charts for some songs and the inclusion of some missing modes for old songs).

There's nothing to be upset about. As an added bonus, I'm sure you guys will be unlocking material on the machine for the next year after you get it.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:37 pm

I forgot about the 'players playong on different difficulties' thing. Now I can finally bring a lady friend along with me.

FLAKK
Heavy
Heavy

Post by FLAKK » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:04 pm

Jason Dread wrote:I don't see much to be upset about, at least you guys in Bloomington have been on teh cutting edge of mixes that have come out. Zero is a much deserved improvement over X2, and that's not saying most of it has left. In fact, most of X2 is on Zero (including new charts for some songs and the inclusion of some missing modes for old songs).

There's nothing to be upset about. As an added bonus, I'm sure you guys will be unlocking material on the machine for the next year after you get it.
Yes, because it will take forever to unlock items.
Yea, I'm like Mother Teresa, except I pwn.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:23 pm

A couple more questions/things to ponder for rules:

Are mods allowed for the qualifier?
Can I name my qualifier after seeing the first few steps of the song?
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.