Light

MME9--Columbus, Ohio--Nov. 19

Post by ranatalus » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:06 pm

MME 9

Directions

Nov.19, 2005
Entry Fee: $10

Sponsored by Red Octane!??!?!!Image

Registration and qualification will start at 9am. The tournament will start at 12.

For those of you not familiar with Ohio's division structure, let me give you a few guidelines:

Standard: Surprisingly, the average standard player plays on heavy most of the time. However, this player will have no AAAs, few SDGs (no more than 5) and a handful of AAs (40 or less typically). 10s are often the deciding factor here. If you can pass more than 3 10s, you are probably not standard.

Lower Heavy: Can pass almost everything (perhaps not LoM or PSM). Good number of AAs, some SDGs, perhaps even a few AAAs (no more than than 30).

Upper Heavy: Pretty much the elite group. 40 or more AAAs, a significant number of SDGs, and most of the game AAd. IMPORTANT NOTE: the excuse "I suck at 10 footers" is not a viable reason to be Lower Heavy instead of Upper. Why? Simple. there are a total of 8 10-foot step patterns in DDR Extreme, out of 256 (or so) songs. This comes to a whopping 3.125% of the game. Not a huge portion.

Note that these are basic guidelines. There will be exceptions somewhere, I'm sure. If you think you're borderline between two divisions, you should probably enter the higher division. However, if you're completely unsure, contact me on aim at ranatalus or ranatalus@mac.com and I'll help you figure it out. A link to a ddrecall or OtM (if anyone even uses that anymore) account will be helpful.

Obligatory Please Don't Sand Bag K Thx Speech:

Lower Heavy is a division intended to allow lesser skilled and inconsistent players to compete with one another and enjoy themselves. I emphasize that Upper Heavy is a division for players that would otherwise unbalance the Lower Heavy competition. "I would get killed if I entered Upper" is not, by itself, a legitimate argument for entry into Lower.

I reserve the right to, at any time, ask a player in Lower to move up to Upper, as sandbagging is usually not readily apparent until a round or two of the tournament has passed.

Entry fees will be pooled and re-distributed as follows for prizes:

UH1st-30%
UH2nd-25%
UH3rd-20%

LH1st-Red Octane Ignition 3.0 Pad + In The Groove for PS2 + Red Octane Shirt*
LH2nd-15%+ Red Octane Shirt
LH3rd-10%

STD1st-Red Octane Ignition 3.0 Pad + Red Octane Shirt*
STD2nd-Red Octane Shirt

*If the 1st place player chooses, he may instead take the next lowest prize--in the case of Lower Heavy, the winner may opt to take 15% of all entry fees. In that case, the 1st place prize will be awarded to second place. Second place will then have the same option--the RO package or 10% of all fees. If they choose the entry fees, the prize package will be awarded to 3rd place.

Allowable songs are selected based on foot ratings regardless of difficulty level.

Standard: 5-7 (6-8 in the final round)
LH:6-9
UH:8-10

Yes, this does mean that either Heavy division could select 10 footers on standard if they wish. No player can select the same set of steps more than once in the tournament.

10 footers: Songs with 10 footer steps on any difficulty will not be allowed earlier in the tournament. They will be allowed after some rounds progress (when they become available will depend on how many rounds there will be in the tournament):

Final Round: Paranoia Surviror MAX, The Legend of Max
Semifinals: MaxX Unlimited, Bag
Quarterfinals: Max 300, Paranoia Survivor
Round of 16: Sakura

Time permitting, divisions will be double elimination (UH first, then LH, then Standard)

Now, if there are only 8 players in a division (unlikely, but possible) Max 300, Paranoia Survivor, and Sakura will be available in the first round.

A different qualifier will be used for each division with mods chosen by myself. These will be disclosed one week before the tournament.

Players will be seeded in NCAA style brackets. Whichever person is seeded better chooses if they choose song or mods first. The better seed also picks which pad they use for the first song. One player picks the song, the other picks any mods he wishes for both players to use with the exception of speed mods. Both players select their own speed mods. Players then switch roles (and pads, if either player wishes) for the second song. Players switch again for the third song. First player to win 2 songs will advance. If a player fails, the other player automatically wins that song. If both players fail, the song will be ignored.

Example of how this works:

Player A is seeded 3, Player B is seeded 14. Player A chooses to select the song first. Player A chooses Jet World. Player B decides both players will play on mirror, hidden, boost. Player A decides to use 2x (so he ends up playing 2x mirror hidden boost) and Player B opts to play 1.5x (so he plays 1.5x mirror hidden boost). Second song, Player B decides he wants the other pad so they switch. Player B Selects Dynamite Rave -Down Bird SOTA Mix-. Player A decides to choose sudden, flat, freeze off. Player A chooses to use 1.5x, Player B uses 1x. Assuming neither player won both songs, it is Player A's turn to select song again.

All mods may be selected except for Stealth and Little. Yes, even Freezes Off is acceptable.

People will be seeded and matches will be calculated on a modified dance points scale:

Perfect: 2
Great: 1
Good: 0
Boo: -1
Miss: -2
OK: 2

A NOTE ABOUT PAD ERRORS: I will personally oversee repairs on all sensors the day prior to the tournament. However, shit happens. If you recieve a pad miss, pad boo, or pad NG, it can be nullified AT THE OPPOSING PLAYER'S DISCRETION. I don't care if god himself comes down and says "Dude, it was a pad miss, I was watching and I see everything." if your opponent wants it to stand, it stands. Do not argue. if you lose because of it, I'm sorry. In the event that the opposing player OKs it, pad NGs will be counted as OKs, and boos/misses will be counted as GREATS, not perfects.

Any questions, contact me at ranatalus or ranatalus@mac.com

Hope to see some people there :D

FINAL NOTE

All of these rules are in place to ensure fairness and that everyone will have a good time. If, at any time, both players in a match want to omit a rule (other than not picking a song more than once), I will usually allow this.

Example: Let's say two players want to play LoM stealth as part of their match. As long as they're both ok with this and not just being pressured into it by the other player, it's ok with me.

If anyone needs a place to stay, let me know and I'll try to set you up somewhere.
Last edited by ranatalus on Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:20 pm

it's on the day after my birthday
and might be in kentucky but I dunno yet
but i wish I could go

imadancefreakincolumbus
Standard
Standard

Post by imadancefreakincolumbus » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:08 am

this tourny sucks

ranatalus
Light
Light

Post by ranatalus » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:55 pm

imadancefreakincolumbus wrote:this tourny sucks
clearly, from the other 30 posts you've made, you're obviously a respected member of this community whose opinion I should regard highly. :roll:

also posting qualifers:

Standard: 1998 Standard--shuffle reverse
Lower Heavy: Burning the Floor (Blue Fire Mix)--boost mirror dark
Upper Heavy: Electro Tuned--flat right hidden

Note that you can choose whatever speed mods you wish to use for your qualifier. Also, you will only get ONE CHANCE to qualify at the tournament, and you must specifically state before playing the song that it is your attempt to qualify.

imadancefreakincolumbus
Standard
Standard

Post by imadancefreakincolumbus » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:45 am

thats it im just comn to win and rub it in your facec

ranatalus
Light
Light

Post by ranatalus » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:55 am

imadancefreakincolumbus wrote:thats it im just comn to win and rub it in your facec
sounds good

My only concern is, I don't know where my "facec" is. Could you let me know where I could locate my "facec" please?

TaQa
Standard
Standard

Post by TaQa » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:55 am

imadancefreakincolumbus wrote:thats it im just comn to win and rub it in your facec
*Ahem*

AHHHAHAHAHAHAAAHA

*Cough*

I'm not going because Ohio > than I could ever be.

Also, not to sound like Casey, but you'll never touch any of the "better" players in Indiana, and they'll never touch any of the "mediocre" players in Ohio.

XeroCi
Standard
Standard

Post by XeroCi » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:54 pm

ranatalus wrote:
imadancefreakincolumbus wrote:this tourny sucks
clearly, from the other 30 posts you've made, you're obviously a respected member of this community whose opinion I should regard highly. :roll:
You sir, for this post, are awesome.

But Ohio is a little out of my reach.. and if Ohio players are better than Casey and TaQa... then I'm fucked to begin with.

I kinda wanna see this. You should tape the tournament and then post the good parts on the interweb.

- XeroCi
Owner/Operator/Leader of DDRKokomo. Assistant Leader of DDRKokomo: Arrow Stompers.

FLAKK
Heavy
Heavy

Post by FLAKK » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:58 pm

meh, i got 4th in the last tourney at ohayocon (columbus, oh). it was on cobalts, but it wouldnt matter much. by the way, i only have like 5 AA's in the arcade. i'm sure you're better than me at DDR. just practice the hell out of the qualifier so you will place well on the bracket. the last thing you want is to place in the bottom half.
Yea, I'm like Mother Teresa, except I pwn.

ranatalus
Light
Light

Post by ranatalus » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:00 am

TaQa wrote:
*Ahem*

AHHHAHAHAHAHAAAHA

*Cough*

I'm not going because Ohio > than I could ever be.

Also, not to sound like Casey, but you'll never touch any of the "better" players in Indiana, and they'll never touch any of the "mediocre" players in Ohio.
Hey, you're not too bad yourself. I've seen some of your oni scores, like on the Max2 at whatever weird arcade place that was trying to act like some sci-fi place.