Songs completely different on Another

beatmania, beatmaniaIIDX, beatmania III

Moderator: Moderators

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Songs completely different on Another

Post by MonMotha » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:48 am

I had IIDX on autoplay for a while (enjoying the music and marveling at the ungodly crazy notecharts that I have no hope in hell of passing any time soon), and I noticed that many songs are slightly, if not completely different on different difficulties. Another seems to especially change the song around like crazy.

Radical Faith is completely Schlagwerked (literally, they practically mixed the two), and Schlagwerk is also different. 5.1.1. (which is a painfully hard another when compared to its 1-Star 7-key chart) has some seriously different stuff at the end.

It's not limited to another, though. Indigo Vision has a "domo arigato" on a key at the end of L7 that isn't present on the 7k or [A] chart, but I know that on 7k the sound there, just on a key you're not told to hit. Era (nostalmix) also seems to change slightly between L7 and 7k, but is again quite different on [A]. Some of this is just the fact that the parts you are actively playing are sounded louder than other parts, but some of this stuff is just COMPLETELY different.

What's up with this? I noticed it tonight on 8th style, but the Indigo Vision thing happens on other styles as well. Is this Konami's method of making the song easier/harder (compare to Pop'n where they just auto-play the parts that are keysounded on harder difficulties) or what?

Also, WTF is up with the autoplay missing notes? I know there's a couple songs that consistently give it trouble, but it got 3 poors in a row on Sakura for me, then when I replayed to see where it missed, it 200k'd the song. How the hell can a computer be this random?
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:49 am

I've been aware that Another charts will sometimes produce an "alternate mix" of some songs. Perhaps it is simply Konami's "encouragement" to get people to keep playing until they can all the levels, including Another, so they can hear these alternate versions...yeah, good luck with that! ;)

As for the missed notes on autoplay...HD Loader? How frequent were these misses? We can run an experiment at some point and run a bunch of songs on autoplay both on the original discs and on HD Loader to see if there is any difference. It wouldn't surprise me if these issues are limited to HD Loader goofiness.

BakaOrochi
Korean!
Korean!

Post by BakaOrochi » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:04 pm

Actually Radical Faith [a] contains samples of a bunch of TaQ's songs. It has samples from era, Schlagwerk, Empathy, and some more that I can't think of right now.

There's also a song on IIDX.12 Happy Sky called "Scripted Connection," and it sounds completely different on Normal, Hyper and Another (aka L7, 7key, [a]).

Other songs that sound way different are Era, Leading Cyber, Infinite Prayer Reinterpretation (The Big Voyager)...the list goes on.

As for Schlagwerk and Indigo Vision's case, I don't know why only the game version have the added samples, because they don't come up in the OST versions at all, probably just a little fun thing.

IIDX isn't the first to do the special anothers; these also show up in regular 5-key Beatmania. I don't know if Complete Mix 2 was the first to introduce the "different" Anothers (i.e. Hell Scaper [a] = Slashing Mix, Crymson [a] = Scarlet Mix, Genom Screams [a] = Spiritual Mix and so on), but some of the CS BM's also had different anothers too (for Best Hits, Overblast!! [a], Miracle Moon LED Style Mix [a]).

Maybe Konami wanted to also do "reinterpretations" of Mixes, or show off that the samples can be reorganized to make the song sound different and remixed differently.

I like 'em personally.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:10 pm

BakaOrochi wrote:There's also a song on IIDX.12 Happy Sky called "Scripted Connection," and it sounds completely different on Normal, Hyper and Another (aka L7, 7key, [a]).
Great...Konami's playing the difficulty renaming game again? I'm not sure if I feel more or less inadequate now that the mode I play on predominantly is called Normal. That just sounds...well, normal...vs. sounding like an easier version of normal the way Light 7 did. Of course the fact I know the history makes it just seem like they lowered the bar to make me feel better. :P

BakaOrochi
Korean!
Korean!

Post by BakaOrochi » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:47 pm

Haha I guess you haven't kept up with 12th Style info.

Yeah
Light 7 = normal
7 key = Hyper
Another = Another

There's also now I think 12 or 13 levels now instead of 8 stars. Ah reminds me of the old Beatmania Mixes...

There's now "towel mode" for hidden and sudden (you can adjust how much of your screen is covered up).

...and so on.

TaQa
Standard
Standard

Post by TaQa » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:27 pm

BakaOrochi wrote:Actually Radical Faith [a] contains samples of a bunch of TaQ's songs. It has samples from era, Schlagwerk, Empathy, and some more that I can't think of right now.
Nah, you're thinking of the MP3 "Radical Faith Another", which is a collaboration of a bunch of TaQ songs. They just called it "Radical Faith Another" because they didn't know the actual name, and Radical Faith is the main theme.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:58 pm

Well, on 8th style at least, Radical Faith on Another difficulty certainly sounds like a hodge-podge of TaQ songs with Radical Faith as the theme. Certainly nothing like the OST from IIDX or DDR 5th.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

BakaOrochi
Korean!
Korean!

Post by BakaOrochi » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:08 am

TaQa wrote:
BakaOrochi wrote:Actually Radical Faith [a] contains samples of a bunch of TaQ's songs. It has samples from era, Schlagwerk, Empathy, and some more that I can't think of right now.
Nah, you're thinking of the MP3 "Radical Faith Another", which is a collaboration of a bunch of TaQ songs. They just called it "Radical Faith Another" because they didn't know the actual name, and Radical Faith is the main theme.
Erm, no, that is actually in the game, has been like that since it came out on 5th Style. Go pull out a copy of 5th, 6th (?), and 8th Style, play the Another.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:42 am

BakaOrochi wrote:Erm, no, that is actually in the game, has been like that since it came out on 5th Style. Go pull out a copy of 5th, 6th (?), and 8th Style, play the Another.
If I do that, it will probably just sound like noise. I have enough trouble making the L7 chart sound right! :P

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:44 pm

Scratch that (no pun intended). I actually passed this tonight on my first attempt--one-handed, no less. Only a C...but hey, it's my first Another pass.

That was "FaQed up!"

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:37 am

Yeah, Radical Faith is one of those songs where the Another is ironically easier to pass than the 7 Key notechart. The Cube is also like that if I recall correctly.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:44 am

that one song that ho likes from 5th mix is the same way..fuck what is its name...time to go look at song lists

absolute!
insert code compile execute return

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:33 am

sam wrote:that one song that ho likes from 5th mix is the same way..fuck what is its name...time to go look at song lists

absolute!
"that one song that ho likes from 5th mix" probably covers most of the song list from that game. Why is it that you think I like Absolute in particular? I mean, I like it just fine...but it's not one of my favorites or anything. There are certainly other songs from 5th Mix I like more.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:27 am

i just vaguely remember you commenting that it was one of your favorites from 5th mix when talking about that freestyle you did to it
insert code compile execute return

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:49 pm

I think your memory may be a bit more than just vague in this particular instance. I just went back and reviewed the video of that freestyle and found it to be rather unremarkable. I don't why I would have chosen that song. There was no real interplay between the song and my performance. It was not memorable and can stay forgotten as far as I'm concerned.

The song is still fine but not one of my favorites. I like both the song I played before (Conga Feeling) and after (The Cube--I'd probably call this one of my favorites) better than Absolute. And both of those routines were better also.