Homemade Tatsujin Movie

beatmania, beatmaniaIIDX, beatmania III

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Homemade Tatsujin Movie

Post by Ho » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:43 am

This past weekend MonMotha and I experimented with creating our own tatsujin movie (ala IIDX 6th Style CS). We had two cameras and were directly capturing the output of the PS2 for the actual gameplay. After some hacking around in Premiere, a delightfully dull render, and a couple of redos, here's what we came up with.

Click the image to watch.

We learned a few things along the way that will hopefully make any future efforts better (and easier). But I think this came out pretty well for a first attempt.

BTW, that's me playing New York Light 7 on 7th Style. It's not a difficult song (I think it's a 3 star). But I actually did remarkably well, falling just 7 EX points from what would have been my first AAA. It would have been cool to have coincidentally captured my first AAA on video, but this wasn't too terribly shabby. Like I said, it's hardly a difficult song, but at least the video doesn't make me look like I completely suck at the game. :P

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:15 am

Love the vid. Very well done and the widescreen played out very well. I hope more like that get made soon.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:18 am

Yeah, I agree. GREAT JOB!

Bionix
Standard
Standard

Post by Bionix » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:52 pm

Very not bad.
Warning incoming game!

xK1
Standard
Standard

Post by xK1 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:03 pm

Very cool. Makes me mad that the nearest store to my apartment didn't have any Beatmania contollers or any versions of the game (they did have Pop'N 11 though...). I think I'll try the store in the next farthest villiage today...

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:15 pm

nice job...i like the ps2 output overlapping...although it needs a little work, there's some jaggies on it
insert code compile execute return

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:20 pm

Outside of Akihabara, this is as close as I came to seeing a home IIDX controller (it's a 5 key). That was in a store right next to Hiroshima station.

If you go to Tokyo, take the Ginza line to the Suehiro-Cho stop. That'll drop you out on the electric-town side of Akihabara (the JR line drops you off on the more office district side). Right at that stop, you'll see "G-Front". Go in there for a fun time, if you enjoy arcade hardware. Anyway, walk down the street towards the electric town. There's a store with about 5 stories of used games and controllers (I can't for the life of me remember the name, but I believe it had a green storefront). They have all sorts of Bemani stuff. When I was there they even had a IIDX and Pop'n ASC on the shelf. Most of their PS2 stuff is on the first floor, but some of the Bemani stuff is hidden upstairs. If you ask, they were pretty helpful to me in locating stuff.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:35 pm

Do one to cheer train AND I WILL PAY YOU.
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

seveneleven
Heavy
Heavy

Post by seveneleven » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:59 am

that was awsome :D most of the people around the Fort arent that good so now ive seen some talent

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:49 am

sam wrote:nice job...i like the ps2 output overlapping...although it needs a little work, there's some jaggies on it
This was definately a test/pilot attempt. We're still experimenting trying to find a better way to set all this up.

I actually have a system with 3 TV tuners in it we tried, but it is well, grumpy:

Code: Select all

Linux grumpy 2.6.12-gr1 #1 SMP Wed Jun 29 19:21:47 EST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
(seriously, that's its hostname!)
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

Jizzon

Post by Jizzon » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:46 pm

I have a distribution amp and a firewire capture box (both of which use component video, yayness). It would be awesome to make some more of those, so anything you could use, you're welcome to. Simply awesome.
People too weak to follow their own dreams will always find a way to discourage others.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:45 pm

Can it capture in the RGB colorspace (at TV timings) or just YPbPr?
A normality test:
+++ATH

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:32 pm

Drummania Tatsujin, anyone?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:57 pm

ShammerS wrote:Drummania Tatsujin, anyone?
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
A normality test:
+++ATH

Jizzon

Post by Jizzon » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:37 pm

MonMotha wrote:Can it capture in the RGB colorspace (at TV timings) or just YPbPr?
You know...hmm, the PS2 supports it; just have to see if the software does. I'll get back soon with an answer.
People too weak to follow their own dreams will always find a way to discourage others.