Yay

beatmania, beatmaniaIIDX, beatmania III

Moderator: Moderators

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Re: Yay

Post by Pokebis » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:45 pm

I should go to GxS sometime soon (and try to start PiU), but school started, the mall is on the other side of town for me, and my workload just got pretty heavy (full weekends, whoo). Mondays are my free days (for now, I think) and Thursdays are questionable, but I may be able to drive down after school one of those days or something. I haven't played in forever, though, so my stamina is basically gone and I can only play a few songs before I start dying and my timing will be horrible because I'm simply rusty and mostly play on softpads.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:47 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:How can a random person vouch for a random person? That carries no weight at all!
You know who carries a lot of weight? Merk.

#meanontheinternet

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:48 pm

Also, this thread is about Beatmania.
Yesterday I passed some new 8s I couldn't pass before.
I also never AAA anything. I think I have like... five of those total or something.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:56 pm

Progress is progress. Do you play on random? That will really, really help you overcome any walls.

Don't worry about AAAs right now, that will come naturally with clearing shit. It's much more impressive in my opinion to get a AA on a 12 than get a AAA on a 10 since difficulty increases very exponentially in this game.

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:12 pm

Merk wrote:Do you play on random?
I do sometimes, but I like to play the chart normally first because I like some of the patterns they make sometimes. Like how could you break the X shape on Xepher :( (Not that I can pass Xepher on anything above Normal or anything).

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:52 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:How can a random person vouch for a random person? That carries no weight at all!
Precisely. Someone who hasn't achieved #1 can't vouch for someone else who hasn't either. I can do the "friend of a friend" thing, but the "friend of some random stranger's friend--neither of which I've met" is taking things a little too far. Frankly, the only trouble I've ever had at my house was when that has happened.

And I don't have a problem with Riot. Like I said, he's just not someone that I've had much interaction with at all. It's not a any sort of judgement. It's just a fact.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:27 pm

Pokebis wrote:
Merk wrote:Do you play on random?
I do sometimes, but I like to play the chart normally first because I like some of the patterns they make sometimes. Like how could you break the X shape on Xepher :( (Not that I can pass Xepher on anything above Normal or anything).
You will be so happy when random breaks up shit like this. Scales and especially 16th note scale-chord patterns are easily the worst thing in this game next to jack hammers; Vanessa, Fire Fire, and Nageki No Ki are much better charts on random. I honestly don't know how most charts go normally but there are a handful of charts that have solid normal patterns like One More Lovely and V.

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:51 pm

How long does it actually take to be good? This game is starting to make me want to punch things.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:47 pm

I've played the game off and on for probably 7 or 8 years now and I can only pass a handful of 12s and not even all the 11s. In the US that isn't bad, I am probably somewhere in the top 35 players out of the 100 or so that still use VJ Army. In Japan however my skill level is pretty abysmal so what people consider "good" is subjective.

Don't be discouraged though, when I started there really wasn't a huge community (not that there is now) to discuss the nuances of the game and we were limited to 6th Style CS and below so we didn't have a fuck load of mods that help improve timing (Sudden+, 0.5 speed mod increments, TV lag adjustment, green Sudden+ number) and a ton of rival data to compare scores to. Plus with US controllers you don't have to clean out your controller every week which was literally the biggest pain in the ass and I can't believe I put up with it.

Thank God we don't have to do shit like towel mode anymore either.

Anyway, you're going to hit skill walls and plateau, it's just the nature of the game. Be warned though that each wall gets harder and harder to overcome and you'll plateau longer and longer each time. The game rewards you by being hard as shit so that when you do get that hard AAA or clear that song you thought was impossible you feel like you've actually done something awesome. Get accustomed to failing a lot and then having shit randomly click one day - I've found that sometimes taking a day or two off from the game results in me doing a lot better the next time I play.

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:04 pm

Apparently switching the skin in Lunatic Rave from Empress to Happy Sky increased my skill for some reason. Maybe it's easier for me to read.
The skins look almost exactly like the AC versions btw.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:17 am

Beet is a fickle game and its players are superstitious and pedantic. I have to have everything set a certain way before I can confidently play Beet without perceived distraction.

Man Beet is so good.

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:36 pm

It was apparently the note burst. I play better on non-default note bursts apparently for some reason. The default note burst in Empress distracts me a little bit apparently and I play better if I set it to the heart note burst. I have no idea why, but I just flat out read everything better.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:53 pm

Yeah Beet is weird as hell like that even though technically it shouldn't make a difference. I enjoy the 9th style burst or whatever one is a little subtle flashing blue circle myself.

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:55 pm

Passed my first 9 today (afair maybe passed another before). 凛として咲く花の如く (Rin to Shite Saku Hana no Gotoku) on Hyper. Probably a really easy one, but meh. Passed with an A. And like 59 poors or something (they're counted very strictly in LR2, a full second before a note counts as a poor. Not sure how strict it is in vanilla IIDX).

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:30 am

Yeah Beet in the arcade and on console count what's called "mash poors." If you hit a note a few milliseconds before or after when you're supposed to then you'll get a poor just like in every other music game. Unlike other music games though, in Beet you can hit the note as many times as you want and rack up multiple poors per note which both decrease your groove gauge and get reflected on the result screen. Oddly enough, you can still get a Just Great on a note despite mash pooring the hell out of it.

I seem to recall seeing a Youtube where someone got like 300+ poors on 5.1.1 which only has ~100 notes.

Good job on clearing that 9* song! I don't remember how that chart goes off the top of my head but yeah! Awesome! Break that skill wall and clear some more shit.