How the fuck do I play doubles?

beatmania, beatmaniaIIDX, beatmania III

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How the fuck do I play doubles?

Post by Ho » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:24 am

I play almost exclusively doubles. But I'm hardly a hardcore player. In general, I enjoy playing up to level 6, many 7s, and a few 8s (in single or double). I can pass a few harder than that, but I mostly don't bother trying anymore. Although, realistically, I just don't play IIDX that much at all anymore.

mouseish
Standard
Standard

Post by mouseish » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:33 am

hey cool! I play doubles to help improve my weak fingers since I'm trying to break the pecking habit. It has worked wonders lately. As for Chris Stewart, I played DDR and such with him when he was in high school and we have a lot of common friends from his graduating class.

The DA IIDX stuff is decent, but its not instant delivery. Its all built to order. If you're ever in the Chicago area, feel free to shoot me an AIM (TheLegendofMouse) if you want to try my DA doubles deck out. If not, amp also has a very old DA IIDX and I think he's working on ordering a second one soon.

Ho, you play exclusively one hand on singles though, right? I imagine that made your move into doubles a lot easier. Mine was a rough time until I learned that playing a song you already rock at singles helps immensely.

EDIT: also, lol at your last line Merk. My girlfriend she also plays IIDX and pop'n music, so I got lucky.. She's at the ~6 level now in IIDX, started playing on and off a few months ago and can play a few 26's on popn.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:48 am

I prefer to play one hand singles, but I am generally unable to pass 7 and above that way.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:52 am

One of my great Jewish friends lives in Chicago (Evanston area, lots of Heebs there) and I've been meaning to make another trip up there. Maybe we can make something happen or maybe Brian will invite you to his Bemani Bordello and we can suck each other's dicks off. If push comes to shove I will probably get dragged along to ACEN this year so I can listen to some J-Core and maybe not fall asleep mid-concert this time - I figure you'll be there and we can pay a shit load of money to play the same games we've been playing for many years now.

I'm glad you know Adam and Chris. Adam is a pretty neat guy but I haven't seen him in probably 7 years now when he last came to Ft. Wayne and made of fun of my Bemani machismo when I rattled off on how awesome I am at Keyboardmania (I'm not). Chris is kind of emo at times and my fraternity kind of has a mixed opinion of him but he's a bro and he likes Bemani so that pretty much makes us best friends.

mouseish
Standard
Standard

Post by mouseish » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:03 am

http://bemaniso.ws/forums.php?action=vi ... adid=32004 <-- something that is happening (short notice, I know) but like I said, I'm up for anything and often have people coming to hang out/pay. So if you or anyone has the time or just happens to be in the area, lemme know.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:19 am

I have to hit up the farmer's market on Saturday since it's starting to become apple season and I have an unhealthy obsession with Granny Smiths and Washington Reds. Fall is the best season, wouldn't you agree? Anyway isn't there like some 15 year old Asian kid that's really good at Beet in Chicago? I think his screen name is Velius or something to that effect. People who are better than me at Beet intimidate me so we'll see if I can manage making a meet-up.

Do you hang out with Shane Muir? From what I understand he's the Chicago answer to Brian Ho and he's the hub of all things arcade in the area. Him and Ho are tight so I'm sure you can roll with him the next time Brian does something. Brian and I wife swap and we're about due for another Bemani bro-out; I'll vouch for you when he starts doling out invites.

mouseish
Standard
Standard

Post by mouseish » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:21 am

cool news on the upcoming possible stuff :). I have met Shane a while ago but don't hang out with him or anything. The really good guy you're talking about came over 2 or 3 weeks ago and made me want to quit. I took a couple videos with my phone to drool over. He's in China until next spring though for school.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:33 am

What's he like in person? Is he smarmy? Is he actually 15? I like to get to know the personalities of the people behind the AAAs.

mouseish
Standard
Standard

Post by mouseish » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:49 am

He is kind of quiet but once you get to talking he is a pretty normal dude (especially for a beatmania perfectionist heh). He's not over the top nice or anything, but he isn't immature or mean at all. Just mellow.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:02 pm

Merk wrote:Does Amp say shit about me behind my back to you?
Of course I talk smack, I'm jealous of your epic sumo powers! ;)

Also, every time I see mouseish's doubles setup it makes me wish that I had the room for something like that.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:18 pm

Amp Divorax wrote:
Merk wrote:Does Amp say shit about me behind my back to you?
Of course I talk smack, I'm jealous of your epic sumo powers! ;)

Also, every time I see mouseish's doubles setup it makes me wish that I had the room for something like that.
ROFL. Pwnage @ Merk.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:19 pm

Welcome back to indyDDR, Amp.

I am desperately trying to find the chat log where you told Riot I was a dumb and bad poster but Facebook is retarded now and message threads don't go by thread titles anymore ughghghgh. I really let myself go and I pray everyday I can go back to being thin and attractive.

What does C.T. stand for? Christopher-Thoreau?
mouseish wrote:He is kind of quiet but once you get to talking he is a pretty normal dude (especially for a beatmania perfectionist heh). He's not over the top nice or anything, but he isn't immature or mean at all. Just mellow.
Standard, he could have just been nice since you were hosting. I find that a lot of people who are good at something tend to go all Teddy Roosevelt about their prowess but you just know in private that they have a definite smugness about them. If I was super good at Beet I would probably be a bit of a Mike Tyson about it but alas I am doomed to forever lose Beet tournaments and Amp will always be better than me.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Yea, I thought your post quality jumped the shark at one point. Then I saw you practically punch, cook, and eat the shark for dinner by becoming the Baron of the Bemani Bordello with your new powers.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:58 pm

I disagree, I think my posting is currently at its best. Obviously each one is not a winner but I'm pumping out posts more frequently with a baseline quality of "above-average."

Basically, my quality ratio has suffered but my net profits are at an all-time high. If I've learned anything by working for the Kelley School of Business it's that profits > people.

How did I jump the shark?

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:42 am

mouseish wrote:Sorry for not introducing myself, I'm C.T./mouseish/TheLegendofMouse/whatever name used online. I helped foudn PurdueDDR back in 2005 and have played with a few indy, ft wayne and purdue people since. I knew Adam (LikeableRodent) pretty well back in 05-07 and also know amp pretty well. I'm living in Chicago at this time working in webhosting, but I just stumbled upon this thread about doubles and figured I'd add a bit of info that helped me start to learn. I've lurked the indyDDR forums on and off from time to time and thought I might have had an account, but failed logins proved me wrong, so I finally signed up.
Hey CT! It just hit me that it's you that's been posting here.

I don't really particularly care too much about IIDX anymore (as my access to Bemani improved, my desire to play it waned), so I was ignoring this thread and didn't see you introduce yourself. Welcome!