Beatmania IIDX 15: DJ Troopers CS Review

beatmania, beatmaniaIIDX, beatmania III

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Beatmania IIDX 15: DJ Troopers CS Review

Post by Ho » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:42 pm

First of all, the thought was to get a JP PS3, so the region issue would be a non-issue.

As for compatibility, doesn't the first generation of the PS3 just have the PS2 hardware included? So it shouldn't even be emulation. It should just be playing the games on basically a built-in PS2. It was my understanding that the second generation took out at least Emotion Engine part of the PS2 hardware and therefore had to emulate it (which could cause compatibility problems/anomalies). Eventually they just took out all the PS2 hardware and deleted PS2 backward compatibility as a feature of the PS3 altogether.

But my main question was just whether anyone had any opinions as to whether the PS2 upscaling on the PS3 was any better (or worse) than what the display device can do (obviously could vary widely depending on make/model).

You do make a good point on the controller aspect of the equation. With no traditional Playstation controller ports, using the old controllers is not a simple plug-and-play affair. I've only done a very preliminary look at the PS2-to-PS3 controller adapters and not used any of them personally. As we all know, IIDX tends to be rather sensitive to all of these sorts of variables.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:43 pm

I should have mentioned that the list I was going from in terms of what games worked was for PS3s that did have the Emotion Engine built into them, sorry about that. In the case of how the console upscales I don't know good of a job the PS3 does in that respect, but as most of the games are listed as working and no issues are listed with it then there hopefully shouldn't be any visualization issues.

In my case whenever I play on LCD screens I've been firing up Xploder HDTV Loader to help even things out a bit as like you I am not really a fan of how some LCDs handle 480i. The only downside is that that software only works with 9th Style and newer. (Note: I have not tested it with DJ Troopers yet.)
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:57 am

On another note, two hidden codes have been discovered. I've mentioned the forever code eariler, but the next two codes are INSANE!

Gambol timing modes.....
GJH = Gambol Judge Hyper
GJA = Gambol Judge Another
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

seveneleven
Heavy
Heavy

Post by seveneleven » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:04 am

This release is pretty much awesome