8th Style Hidden songs?

beatmania, beatmaniaIIDX, beatmania III

Moderator: Moderators

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:46 pm

Ho's monitor has no discernible lag, so playing 4th style AC on it would mean that things should appear EARLY if they attempted to compensate for the latency. The CS versions all play just fine on it with no timing adjustments used on those versions which provide it. I'm not convinced the original monitor exhibited any lag. Probably one reason they chose it.

Based on my experiences with some machines with laggy replacement monitors, even a small amount of lag is extremely noticible during gameplay, and that includes on the older styles. I don't notice that at all on this monitor. When Putt-Putt had a crappy TV on 4th Style, it lagged horribly.

I should also point out that not all machines have the new monitor. I'd say about 2/3 of machines when I was in Japan had either the original RP LCD monitor on them or a replacement that wasn't the new Konami spec CRT. Of those with 3rd-party replacements, about half lagged noticibly, some to the point of requiring me to play on Hidden to score at all decently. Those with the old monitor exhibited identical timing characteristics to the new Konami spec CRT monitor, and all machines were running IIDX RED.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:30 pm

MonMotha wrote:Ho's monitor has no discernible lag, so playing 4th style AC on it would mean that things should appear EARLY if they attempted to compensate for the latency. The CS versions all play just fine on it with no timing adjustments used on those versions which provide it. I'm not convinced the original monitor exhibited any lag. Probably one reason they chose it.

Based on my experiences with some machines with laggy replacement monitors, even a small amount of lag is extremely noticible during gameplay, and that includes on the older styles. I don't notice that at all on this monitor. When Putt-Putt had a crappy TV on 4th Style, it lagged horribly.
It is sadly true that not all the machines have the newskool monitor. (Which to me is nothing short of awe inspiring when playing DistorteD and Gold on it.) I will have to state that there is a possibility that the timing difference I felt could be due to the difference in setup or just me starting to reach obsessive compulsive levels due to the overall increase in precision.

The one thing that will make my life easier is that I have worked on being able to quickly adapt to various timings in the game so should I be able to attend DDR-A-Thon I should be able to score pretty well. Oh, I'll also have to remember to bring a towel since 8th only goes to HS3!
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:50 am

34" to 42" is a really big jump. The huge size difference between my monitor and what you're used to probably throws your timing off as well. Even if the timing is dead-on accurate, the distance that the notes travel in the scroll will be longer than what you're used to seeing on a smaller monitor.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:31 pm

The machine in Bloomington is very nice. Despite the choice of a different display the machine gives the best old style experience there is. The only thing I don't like is that 8th style was the worst when it came to handling speeds over 400 bpm, but that's a design flaw so I can't complain too much.

Edit: I have information on how to get to the hidden songs via regular gameplay.

Dissolve: Trigger Extra Stage with Entrance as your last song. (Clear the song and you are good since it's a 7)
合体せよ!ストロングイェーガー!!: Trigger Extra Stage with Theme of Denjin J, The Earth Light, or Outer Limits as your last song. (You'll need to have a 100% health bar to trigger extra stage as these are 6s)
Sakura: AAA flashing 7 on hard mode as your final stage
Xenon: AAA Sakura on hard mode (Jesus f*cking christ that's gonna be hard!)

From what I saw 9th and 10th Dans are locked as well and I think 8th Dan has to be cleared to get to 9th. (Get Merk to do that!)

I'm still looking for the unlock command to make them all appear. Hopefully I'll find it soon.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!