Capturing video from the TV

beatmania, beatmaniaIIDX, beatmania III

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Capturing video from the TV

Post by Merk » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:22 pm

Hey guys, I figured someone here had experience in capturing video from the TV onto a computer so I figured I'd ask here.

Why in the Beatmania forum? Because I pretty much want to capture video of me playing and post it all over the internet, sort of like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILcfg5aLjrQ

My TV has component and composite input (the standard Y/R/W plugs, I think that's composite cabling) and I use component cables for my PS2, leaving the composite inputs free. I also have a Radeon X800 video card if that makes any difference.

Anyway, my room mate has a composite cable that can connect from his computer to our television and use the TV like he would any computer monitor. I was wondering if that would work vice versa? Also, I assume I'll need some sort of software to capture the video, any recommendations?

Finally, what about sound? We also have composite sound cables that can connect from a computer to a sound system, what set up do I need to capture sound?

Any help on this matter would make me forever in your debt. Thanks!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:26 pm

Hmmm, you'd need something that can take video input on a computer?

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:32 pm

I want something that can take the image on the TV and turn it into a .avi file on the computer. I want splash beats!

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:44 pm

run it inta ya vidja card
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:24 am

What you need to get is a decent Video Capture Card. I know that you can get one of the K-World ones for about $30 on newegg which should work just fine for what you want to do. One major note though is that anything made by Pinnacle should be avoided at all costs.

One note, what is your current videocard? Most of the newer ATI cards have VIVO capabilities which will make life extremely easy for you.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:26 am

I also have a Radeon X800 video card if that makes any difference.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:36 pm

You can buy my 6800 lololol CHEAPCHEAPCHEAP

pimpmachine
Standard
Standard

Post by pimpmachine » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:31 pm

i know Audity made a huge thread about how to best make a video on bemanistyle a while ago. you could go search through those forums too.
Total DP:
164 646 / 166 832 (2 236)
http://ddrecall.com/user.php?mode=viewprofile&user=1277

Image Image Image

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:16 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815100120

I suggest this card in terms of affordability unless you want something that can do HD.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:49 pm

Well, it turns out my card has Video-In capabilities. I now just need one of those fancy S-Video to composite cables.

However, Fluffy and I got into a discussion about this and we had some questions. I don't think my TV has a Video-Out input, this will obviously put a pretty damn big problem into my plans. Is there anything I can do if it doesn't have Video-Out?

And I can't for the life of my find that thread by Audity. I remember seeing it a long long long time ago but didn't think too much about it since I had no interest in making videos at the time. If someone can link me to it that'd be very helpful.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:54 pm

Since I'm not aware of any playstation cables with both component and composite/s-video out, you'll have to suck it up and deal with a lower quality connection while making the videos (or make yourself a custom cable, which is doable). You can get playstation A/V cables with both S-Video and composite on them. Hook one up to your TV and the other up to the computer, using a barrel and regular RCA/RCA cable to extend the composite line as needed to reach. If you can't find a cable with both, you can split video signals, though the quality gets even worse.

You'll also need to run audio. You can either split the playstation outputs, use the digital output for one and the analog for the other, or use the audio outs present on most TVs. Most of the time, you'll have to use the line in on your sound card for this as very few video capture cards feature their own audio capture capabilities.

Avoid using those composite to S-video adapters if possible. Due to the different filtering requirements between the two formats, those passive adapters actually result in lower quality video than even properly done composite video.

If you need a set of breakout cables for an ATi card, I have a set, assuming they're still using the same ones as they were 10 years ago (which is a big assumption, I guess).
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:18 pm

So... I guess my biggest concern is with my TV. Are Video inputs bi-directional? I think I only have Video-In inputs (I'm at work right now so I can't check) and I assume that I'll need a Video-Out to get video from my TV to my video card.

Can I pick up one of those PS2 S-Video/Composite cables at Radio Shack or am I going to have to order one? This cable pretty much sounds like the thing I need if I can't just simply connect my TV and computer with the S-Video to Composite cable a room mate of mine already owns. I haven't had to chance to try it out yet since that particular room mate is never home and his door is usually locked.

Also, do you know of any place where I can get an audio splitter? It may not be necessary since I probably already have an audio out on my TV, but just in case! Cables won't be a problem since we own a cable with audio plugs on both ends.

Are there an any sites out there with good information on this? I've tried Googling and I've come up with very little.

Sorry if this is a lot of questions, I'm really not savvy when it comes to stuff like this.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:25 pm

Most TVs only have inputs (they are displays, after all, and don't create video). You can split the signal you are sending to it, if you like, or you can take advantage of the fact that the PS2 can output s-video and composite at the same time.

I bought my s-video cable, which also has composite, at Best Buy. It's a 3rd party cable - the "official" s-video cable does not have the composite connector. Cost me like $8, I think.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:11 pm

Awesome, thank you very much. I'll go out and buy the cable as soon as I'm able to this week.

pimpmachine
Standard
Standard

Post by pimpmachine » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:23 am

i tried looking for that thread from audity but i couldnt find it either... and i dont know much about making videos either or id try to help. but it looks like you might have things figured out.
Total DP:
164 646 / 166 832 (2 236)
http://ddrecall.com/user.php?mode=viewprofile&user=1277

Image Image Image