What would be the best next gen console for IIDX?

beatmania, beatmaniaIIDX, beatmania III

Moderator: Moderators

Which next gen console should Bemani jump to?

Microsoft X-Box 360
14%
Sony Playstation 3
14%
Nintendo Wii
71%

Total votes: 7

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

What would be the best next gen console for IIDX?

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:06 pm

Alright, for now I know that Bemani will still have PS2 releases until atleast 2008-2009. However, like in the PSone days the majority of the Bemani games will eventually have to jump to a next gen platform. With this in mind, I have to ask which console do people wanna see Bemani adopt.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:27 pm

Wii, you have to move your arm around to hit each note. You'd be so tired.

Nah, PS3 =/

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:44 pm

I honestly think the PS3 would be the worst platform to go for them since Sony is forcing everybody to use Blu-Ray for their games and I have never seen anything outside of the arcade versions of IIDX and Pop'N that would require anything more than a single-layer DVD. Another thing is how f'n expensive the PS3 is.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:53 pm

I would have to say 360 just by process of elimination. The PS3 is too expensive, forces Blu-Ray, and currently looks like it's going to FAIL as a console. Bemani games on the Wii would involve weird hand motion and take away from the original gist of the game. I see no major issues with putting the games on 360. Of course, they would probably have to not make this a universal decision, because their Japanese market probably wouldn't be willing to buy a 360 even for Bemani games.

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:18 pm

Wii.

The only plus side for them going onto the PS3 would be control compatibility, which can be solved with a simple adapter.

As for the 360, there's just no way. Japan pretty much doesn't give a crap about that system.

The Wii is cheaper, more popular, and far more wide spread than either of the other consoles in Japan. It has more than enough power to run Bemani games (seriously, graphics don't matter in this case). Also, from what I've heard, the Wii is much easier to program for than the PS3. As far as gimicky controls go, yeah, the potential is there, but that doesn't mean they're going to use them. Sure, they're doing it for DDR, but they were doing that with it on the PS2 also via the EyeToy. In fact, the Wii would pretty much allow them to take what they started on the PS2 and actually make it work correctly.

So, yeah, I think the Wii is going to wiin in this case.
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Secef
Standard
Standard

Post by Secef » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:22 pm

Hand motions being necessary for a Wii BEMANI title wouldn't have to be true. Remember, there're four Gamecube ports conveniently located on the machine (this is being used for Wii's DDR title, for example), and if all else fails, wireless BEMANI controllers could be used by plugging an addon into the Wiimote (like the classic controller shell, for example).

That would mean new ASCs and stuff for people to buy though, unless they decided to go with the GC ports and someone made PS2-to-GC converters available.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:35 pm

They'll probably stick with PS2 unless some massive hardware upgrade needs to be made. There's really no point in making a jump to the next gen systems if it's not needed. I can't imagine IIDX becoming any more hardware intensive to mandate the jump unless they really really really wanted to make the interface look more pretty.

Unless a new Bemani game is released that requires the power of the next gen systems, I forsee IIDX and all current bemani games being on the PS2 for a long time. Beatmania IVDX anyone?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:44 pm

This is pretty much a no brainer: the Wii. 360 isn't all that popular in Japan, and the PS3 is way overpowered and expensive. The only reason to go with the PS3 would be to just run it in backwards compatibility mode, and at that point why not just keep releasing things as PS2 games so people don't have to buy a PS3.

Personally, I have a PS2. I'd like to see them keep releasing for PS2 as long as it's feasible. The only reason I'd like to see a move to the Wii would be that Nintendo requires all Wii games to support progressive output options. Come on Konami, why not support 480p on the PS2, though?
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:35 pm

DS

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:35 pm

So, uh, what's wrong with BluRay?

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:04 pm

Merk, I already already stated that point in my initial post.

I should also mention that DDR Hottest Party will be using the GameCube ports for the dance platform/pad input and while there is a mode that uses the Wiimote for gameplay, it is not mandatory for gameplay thankfully.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:47 pm

n64. just putting that out there.
Can get ahold of me @spookyxcraig

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:22 pm

From the way console system prices and whatnot usually go, by the time they want to develop IIDX games for a next gen system, they'll probably go with PS3, because in a couple years it'll easily be down to around the $350-450 price range. BluRay is a fairly new technology which is why it's so expensive. Just think of how much DVD players cost when they were first brough into the market. BluRay prices will plummet soon because it will be manufactured more and by more companies.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:23 pm

Unless HD-DVD wins.

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:39 pm

dance1005 wrote:Unless HD-DVD wins.
Thanks for the laugh. :lol:
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?