Konami America removing Tatsujin vids from youtube!

beatmania, beatmaniaIIDX, beatmania III

Moderator: Moderators

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Konami America removing Tatsujin vids from youtube!

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:31 pm

Alright, between the lackluster domestic release of IIDX and the fact that we are the only major region that will most likely never get a IIDX arcade releases I didn't think that Konami America could alienate me any further. Well, today they did just that as people have confirmed that youtube is removing Tatsujin vids due to Konami's intervention. Personally speaking I say this is pure madness and as a result I will no longer support KoA until these retarded decisions come to an end.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:54 pm

What exactly is the reasoning they give? The only thing I can think of is that they object to a full version of the game song being posted for public download. Certainly the use of clips for this purpose is fairly well established as "fair use" within copyright doctrine, and I'd guess that so long as there's ambient audio over the top, this would be considered an acceptable use as well.

I guess they could be claiming that you are publicly performing the song, seeing as how you are effectively playing the song when you play beatmania. That seems kinda shakey in the context of a game to me. People have been posting videos of themselves playing videogames for years, and I fail to see how this is fundamentally any different other than music being involved.

Of course, youtube will remove just about anything at the drop of a hat since they have major problems with people uploading materials they flat out do not have the right to upload. Konami may not have even asked very formally (though I believe youtube may require a formal DMCA "takedown" to be sent).

I'm curious though, how many American Bemani players who play things other than DDR actually "support" Konami of America? They seem to continually botch up releases, put out lackluster games in the series, and of course just plain not release many of the games we like. I certainly would hope they continue to at least try, but they've been getting things so darned wrong lately (BMUS being a good example) that I'm not sure I trust them to get anything right anymore.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:13 am

MonMotha wrote:What exactly is the reasoning they give? The only thing I can think of is that they object to a full version of the game song being posted for public download. Certainly the use of clips for this purpose is fairly well established as "fair use" within copyright doctrine, and I'd guess that so long as there's ambient audio over the top, this would be considered an acceptable use as well.
From what I've seen there aren't really any major reasons given in the notifications that youtube has been sending users. The only thing stated is that it was a 3rd party notification and that it was infringing material. I haven't been flagged yet, but as a result of this I will be uploading the vids that I am making to a different host. I will link to them later this week once they are up.
MonMotha wrote: I guess they could be claiming that you are publicly performing the song, seeing as how you are effectively playing the song when you play beatmania. That seems kinda shakey in the context of a game to me. People have been posting videos of themselves playing videogames for years, and I fail to see how this is fundamentally any different other than music being involved.

Of course, youtube will remove just about anything at the drop of a hat since they have major problems with people uploading materials they flat out do not have the right to upload. Konami may not have even asked very formally (though I believe youtube may require a formal DMCA "takedown" to be sent).
This is why I don't understand why this decision was made. I can see them making people take down the music videos that appear in the IIDX series, but this is ludricious. Personally, I think youtube is overreacting on this one since Bemanistyle has Tatusjin Vids, but hasn't had this problem.
MonMotha wrote: I'm curious though, how many American Bemani players who play things other than DDR actually "support" Konami of America? They seem to continually botch up releases, put out lackluster games in the series, and of course just plain not release many of the games we like. I certainly would hope they continue to at least try, but they've been getting things so darned wrong lately (BMUS being a good example) that I'm not sure I trust them to get anything right anymore.
Well, Konami has several other franchises and Bemani is the only one that they pull this BS on. As a result, until this crap gets fixed I won't bother with any of their domestic releases.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:53 pm

Alright, now I'm getting extremely unhappy. I tried another online video site for my first 2 Tatusjin vids and my 2nd vid got flagged. Now I'm really starting to get annoyed.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:31 pm

Links plz

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:47 pm

I'll be linking to them in about an hour. First though I need to find somewhere that allows for them to be hosted with no problems.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:48 pm

:? ... has no idea what a Tatsujin is ... :?
Can get ahold of me @spookyxcraig

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:09 pm

The word means something along the lines of "Master" (as in somebody who has mastered a process). A Tatsujin movie generally refers to a movie of somebody playing the game who's fairly decent at it. 6th Style CS had a mode where you could view "Tatsujin Movies" of AGOP and LISU playing really hard songs like V Another, and that's where the term comes from in this context.

This is an example of an (extremely overdone) home-made tatsujin movie. It looks very similar to the ones on 6th style it was modeled after, except of course with CS gear instead of an arcade.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:44 pm

Unfortunately in my case I don't have a video capture card and I only have 1 camera so I can't do anything that advanced.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:54 pm

Double Post, big whoop!

Well, I made a final decision on this and due to how erratic and irregular the vids are I have decided to say the hell with it and I'm restoring my first vid on youtube and putting up the 2nd vid now on there. From what I've seen, most of the vids they have gotten rid of are the music videos for the songs, and most likely the vids that have been removed are all ones that were caught in the crossfire.

1st Vid: 5.8.8 Another (Note: This vid is ancient!)
2nd Vid: Pink Rose Another

I will also note that I have 640x480 versions of these vids, but I don't really have a good place to put them up currently.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:02 am

I've made up my mind. I'm making a Drummania Tatsujin video; you've inspired me.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:25 am

Nice, we might have to start a Tetsujin section for IndyDDR!
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:31 pm

An old, terribly off-sync video with poor quality taken during one of the social gatherings held at my abode. Cross-post from another thread somewhere on this site. I'd make more videos but my camera can only record 30 seconds or so of video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dsui6JrEJ0

I miss my hair : (

BakaOrochi
Korean!
Korean!

Post by BakaOrochi » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:47 pm

I seriously doubt KoA cares, it's most likely a decision from Japan. Americans don't really do shi+ for Bemani except the packaging.

And Japan's the ones that have a problem with Americans.

As for arcades, you really can't blame KoA.

Why?

Because Konami of America has absolutely nothing to do with arcade releases. They don't even distribute them or provide support for them.

It's all Konami of Japan and Betson, and all Betson does is distribute.

Plus, the arcade industry in America BLOWS. It's pretty damn different from other countries, where people still go to arcades.

Here, people rather save money and stay home playing their console games.

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:26 pm

BakaOrochi wrote: Here, people rather save money and stay home playing their console games.
I wonder why.