lgolems stupid question

beatmania, beatmaniaIIDX, beatmania III

Moderator: Moderators

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:07 pm

Found with google, btw, since the original from Slackware has been removed.
Last edited by MonMotha on Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:09 pm

I found it

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:46 am

Ok....so I started to play Beatmania again....and anyways....I use a surround sound, I tried it on 2 channel mode and my timing seems to be HORRRIBLY off....I know I am a noob but it just seems things are off... is it possible to have sound lag?

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:28 pm

It's highly possible, it could also be video lag depending on the TV you're using. I like to keep it simple and play on a CRT with normal stereo output from the TV.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:59 pm

Many, if not most higher end audio systems have an option to delay audio to compensate for the pervasive delay that modern TVs exhibit. Make sure that isn't turned on. Also, check that your TV isn't laggy as well. Most TVs that are laggy delay the audio to compensate. This totally ruins IIDX.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

The TV is not the problem...it is a basic CRT type tv...not LCD or anything of that manner... and the video runs straight to the TV and the audio runs to the surround sound, so I probably will have to switch it and hook the audio to the TV...even though my TVs audio sucks especially since I have been spoiled by the surround sound for years.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:38 pm

If it's a "digital" CRT, especially if it can do HD or even progressive, it may scale everything digitally. Some of the cheap HD CRTs I've seen have had the worst lag of anything.

If it's really the AUDIO that is delayed, you may be able to just turn the function causing it off. Look for any options you can to turn off DSP stuff or any other filters.
A normality test:
+++ATH

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:46 am

Yeah my surround doesn't really have that option....oh well...I have it hooked straight to the TV and I am getting As and AAs now so I am cool with it being in stereo ^_^

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:38 am

Has anyone ever really had any problems with Beatmania controllers, I NEVER heard merk or chad or anyone else for that matter have one break on them or anything and the middle button of the top row is not registering sometimes and it pissing me off.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:19 am

A little bit of cardboard can make the button a bit more sensitive if you place it inside the controller.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:04 am

Oh I've had a bunch of controllers break on me. The best way to ensure that your controller lives a long life is to, like Chad said, use cardboard inserts.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:43 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:A little bit of cardboard can make the button a bit more sensitive if you place it inside the controller.
Yeah, I tried that, and it still seems to miss....

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:39 pm

Is this a US or JP KOC? On both styles, the contacts are the same but other things can differ. Either way, you might try cleaning the contact surfaces of the switch (which is just one of those crappy PCB based things like they use on remote controls) with water or rubbing alcohol (possibly dilluted down to ~25%).
A normality test:
+++ATH

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:01 pm

it is a US controller, and I will try cleaning it.... ok I got more stupid questions.

I thought about modding my PS2 with an HD loader, it is cheaper than an actual Jap PS2. But I was wondering several things

1: How many games could say a 40 gig hd store?

2: If I were to mod my PS2 with the HD loader and harddrive, would it read Jap PS2 games with just that, or would I have to do something else in order to get it to read the JPS2 games?

3: Kyler told me that Ho once had an HD loader and had problems beatmania being out of sync, but I think Merk and Chad use theres for beatmania... will there be sync issues or not??????

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:46 pm

lgolem wrote:it is a US controller, and I will try cleaning it.... ok I got more stupid questions.

I thought about modding my PS2 with an HD loader, it is cheaper than an actual Jap PS2. But I was wondering several things

1: How many games could say a 40 gig hd store?

2: If I were to mod my PS2 with the HD loader and harddrive, would it read Jap PS2 games with just that, or would I have to do something else in order to get it to read the JPS2 games?

3: Kyler told me that Ho once had an HD loader and had problems beatmania being out of sync, but I think Merk and Chad use theres for beatmania... will there be sync issues or not??????
I also have HD Loader on my PS2. I don't use it as much anymore since I have a Japanese PS2, but it still sees some use.

I have about 7 games on a 30GB, but they vary so much in size it's hard to say how many fit. Newer games tend to be bigger.

You cannot load Japanese games directly as the PS2 will refuse to read them. You can use a program called hdl_dump (and its many frontends such as HD Handiness) to load things on using a PC w/ a DVD drive.

The older beatmanias sometimes desync if you leave the movies turned on. You can either turn off the movies or there is supposedly a patch to either HD Loader or the game. The newer versions of beatmania all seem to work fine according to many, though I had some major trouble with 9th style.

Some games don't work at all. pop'n music 10 simply doesn't work, 11 has sync issues, and 12 has sync issues plus it sometimes plays the wrong samples (so you get sounds from other songs while you're playing). I've not tried 13 or 14 on HD Loader.
A normality test:
+++ATH