beatmania, beatmaniaIIDX, beatmania III

Moderator: Moderators

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

beatmaniaIIDS

Post by MonMotha » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:00 pm

It's the latest way to play IIDX!

I guess you have to autoscratch. I wonder how you play doubles...two DSes maybe? Dual dual screen. Hum, sounds fun, and almost as absurdly hard as IIDX normally is!
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:54 pm

lol i'd like to see someone play V another on that

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:07 am

Yea, I remember seeing that while I was in Iraq. Whoever made that graphic did a damn good job.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:12 am

I wish it was real =(

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:36 pm

beatmani-aids
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:52 pm

As many people probably already know, most touch screens cannot register multiple simultaneous touches. Such screens do exist, but they're not common, and the Nintendo DS's screen definitely isn't one of them.

Given this limitation, you would have no way of forming chords on an on-screen key panel as depicted above. But just for fun, I was thinking about how IIDX could actually be accomplished on a DS....

There actually was a Game Boy Color version (more than one, in fact) of DDR. Obviously, DDR's controls are simpler with only 4 arrows that naturally map to a D-pad. However, anyone who's played DDR on a controller knows that hitting LR or UD jumps on a D-pad is generally impossible. As such, they mapped A and B to left and up so that you could form jumps. They also had a physical adapter that you could snap onto your Game Boy that presented the familiar DDR controls as pictured here:

Underneath were little plastic tabs that would actuate the buttons underneath. Pressing the L or D button would actually press L or D on the D-pad and pressing U or R would press A or B.

I suppose you could do something similar for IIDX by building an adapter that had 7 keys on it that would physically actuate the real A,B,X,Y,and D-pad underneath. Then you could leave a portion of the touch screen visible for scratching by just swiping your finger up and down on it--something the touch screen would be able to recognize.

The only problem with this is that you'd only have 6 keys because you could only really use two of the D-pad directions for the same reasons as DDR (you can't press opposite directions at the same time). So they'd either have to be sure no charts had chords that would do that or somehow get the adapter to actuate the shoulder buttons. I suppose that would be possible, but I think it would be a mechanically hairy and rather hulking adapter at that point.

Though I think IIDX would lose a lot on the DS platform since there's not much storage space on the carts. There probably wouldn't be much music, it would get downsampled quite a bit, and you can pretty much forget about the video aspect of IIDX.

I know I've put too much thought into what was clearly just a fun little joke, but it was kind of a fun little exercise. And if it were real, I might buy it just for the sheer novelty factor in spite of everything else. :P

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:10 pm

Well, they did do beatmania on the GameBoy with simple beep-ified music and just buttons for the 5 keys and scratch, so it's definitely possible on the DS...how much crappier than console bm it would be, I don't know.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:44 am

I did a little searching, and I couldn't find any evidence of there being any sort of physical adapter for the GBC version of beatmania. The controls must've been rather awkward.

As far as A/V goes, it could be done alright on the DS. If you've looked at Elite Beat Agents, you get an idea of what a music game would be like on the DS.

The biggest issue is capacity of the cartridge. You can tell on EBA that the music has been substantially downsampled. It still sounds ok--certainly better than the video you linked since it can have pre-recorded music rather than have to rely on the very simple synthesizer of the GBC. But there just wouldn't be a lot of room for very many songs.

Of course the videos would have to be substantially toned down as well. They'd probably be better off having some kind of animation system vs. pre-rendered videos for DS. Again, that would look a lot nicer than the GBC version but fall quite short of most of the original movies.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:06 pm

just a fyi but apple's iphone is the first consumer grade item with a touch screen that registers multiple touches

god why couldn't they have used that technology on a tablet pc their demo of the touch screen was so cool with google maps and the audio mixer they had made for it. instead they waste it on a stupid cell phone.
insert code compile execute return