Arcade or 'Original': Which screen setting is better?

beatmania, beatmaniaIIDX, beatmania III

Moderator: Moderators

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Arcade or 'Original': Which screen setting is better?

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:35 am

Alright, obviously there are two different display modes for IIDX. Arcade, which uses 16:9 to the fullest extent, and 'Original' which caters to those who use non-widescreen TVs. My question to those on the forum, which one do you use and which one do they feel is better.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:45 am

Simple. I use Arcade if I'm playing on a 16:9 monitor and Original if I'm playing on a 4:3 one. :)

I've used Original a lot more than Arcade because I started playing IIDX on my 36" WEGA (4:3). More recently, I've been using the monitor in my DMX cabinet to play IIDX.

Of course now I intend to play using the monitor I bought for my IIDX cabinet and will most assuredly be using the Arcade setting. ;)

If you're asking if I prefer playing on a 16:9 or 4:3 monitor...it doesn't really make a huge difference to me, but 16:9 seems more authentic and, if given a choice, I'd choose it for that fact alone.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:35 pm

Like Ho, Arcade when on 16:9, and Original when on 4:3. And believe it or not, when playing doubles on a 4:3, especially at close range (like on MKIIDX), I crush the screen down significantly to actually make it taller than it is wide. It makes it easier to read.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:15 pm

Ho wrote:Simple. I use Arcade if I'm playing on a 16:9 monitor and Original if I'm playing on a 4:3 one. :)

I've used Original a lot more than Arcade because I started playing IIDX on my 36" WEGA (4:3). More recently, I've been using the monitor in my DMX cabinet to play IIDX.

Of course now I intend to play using the monitor I bought for my IIDX cabinet and will most assuredly be using the Arcade setting. ;)

If you're asking if I prefer playing on a 16:9 or 4:3 monitor...it doesn't really make a huge difference to me, but 16:9 seems more authentic and, if given a choice, I'd choose it for that fact alone.
What he said.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:17 pm

16:9 with a vengence on here. Personally, I don't consider 4:3 good cause it looks superdeformed to me due to how wide the notes are. Then again, 4:3 will probably work perfectly with that weirdass Pop'N interface on Happy Sky
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!