beatmania, beatmaniaIIDX, beatmania III

Moderator: Moderators

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Difficulty level

Post by malictus » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:00 am

Another Beatmania n00b question...

On Beatmania US, the difficulty levels go from 1 to 10, but the difficulties on vjarmy and elsewhere are ranked differently on the high end. Does US have a different system than all the others?

pimpmachine
Standard
Standard

Post by pimpmachine » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:13 pm

the official song rankings go up to 12. here is the official song ranking website...

http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~hibroad/score/index.html?r_002
Total DP:
164 646 / 166 832 (2 236)
http://ddrecall.com/user.php?mode=viewprofile&user=1277

Image Image Image

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:04 pm

Yeah, the new system (Happy Sky and newer for arcade, and I believe RED CS) is out of 12. The old system was out of 7 or 8 (there were "flashing 7s" which were shown as 8s on 10th style and RED AC). The problem was that 8 meant "anything harder than 7" and could range from just slightly harder to "OMG WHERE THE HELL IS MY PASS BAR; IT'S STUCK ON 2%!" harder.

As far as I know, anything 7 or below carries the same rating as it originally had (except for a few that have been re-rated). The 8s were then expanded out to 12 to give more granularity, and anothers are finally rated as well.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:48 pm

So, basically, the US version just made up its own scoring scale, going out of 10 and showing actual ratings for anothers.

EDIT: Tell me this isn't a racist song name :P.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:26 am

On a bit of an odd note, RED's ratings system went up to 'flashing 8s.'

The US system was most likely altered to match the DDR ratings system, just like changing flashing greats to perfects. Personally I never use that ratings system cause there are too many inconsistencies on the ratings changes.

Also, something that I found very useful is that the Hibroad listings have approximate ratings given out for songs that haven't appeared in the arcade versions Happy Sky and Distorted.

Finally, VJarmy currently follows the ratings given out for the songs in their most recent console release. However, it has been confirmed that VJarmy 4.0 will be using the 12 star rating system since Happy Sky CS will most likely come out before the end of the year.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

BakaOrochi
Korean!
Korean!

Post by BakaOrochi » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:21 am

dance1005 wrote:EDIT: Tell me this isn't a racist song name :P.
You kids these days...

Spica is one of those Astronomy things like Regulus. dj.w has a thing about constellations and heavenly body names with his songs.

Other stars and constellation song names (not necessarily dj.w) include Andromeda, Libra, Polaris, Antares (or Anti-Ares; may or may not be a connection, but Piano Concerto No. 1 is dj.w after all), etc.