just out of curiousity

beatmania, beatmaniaIIDX, beatmania III

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:38 am

BakaOrochi wrote:Think of it this way.

Playing IIDX with auto-scratch is like playing DDR with little on. In some songs, it's like playing with no down arrow. If you can learn to pinky-scratch (which I highly suggest you learn early on), then scratching isn't as hard as it seems anymore.

Plus, your accomplishments with auto-s means SQUAT. Would you take someone who says they can FC PSMO with Little on seriously?

Beatmania has a hard learning curve. Don't spoil the game for yourself by turning auto-scratch on. It makes getting off it A TON harder. Learn without it, and don't ever be tempted to use it. If you need to pass songs, turn EASY on, and put the gameplay level to 1.
I'm not sure that comparison is all that valid. Little in DDR just removes all but the on-beat (quarter) notes. All of the controls of the game are still in play. Auto-scratch, on the other hand, removes an entire control element from gameplay (the turntable).

Little is more akin to IIDX's Beginner Mode in that it has you playing easier patterns of the same songs (and of course DDR has a Beginner mode that does the same thing, too). If there's any DDR equivalent to auto-scratch (I'd argue there certainly is no direct equivalent), I'd say it would be more like playing 3-panel mode on a Solo machine because it actually removes an entire panel from play.

But a better Bemani equivalent of auto-scratch would be auto-bass in Drummania. In both cases, you have a bunch of controls (buttons in IIDX, drum pads in DM) and then another control that's different (turntable/bass pedal). These auto modes remove that different element.

BTW, I do realize you were probably trying to use DDR as a frame of reference because it is what most people would be familiar with.

I definitely agree with your other suggestions of Easy and lower difficulty as a way to get started if you cannot overcome the frustration of not being able to pass songs early on.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:37 am

best one would be autojog in kbm :D

easiest way to get started in beatmania? invest in some ear muffs for your wife/mom/whomever yells at you for cursing...because you're gonna do it a lot
insert code compile execute return

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:01 pm

sam wrote:best one would be autojog in kbm :D
What in what, now?
sam wrote:easiest way to get started in beatmania? invest in some ear muffs for your wife/mom/whomever yells at you for cursing...because you're gonna do it a lot
ROTFL! Easiest way to get started in Beatmania: live alone. Doesn't that go for ALL these Bemani games, though? :P
BakaOrochi wrote:Plus, your accomplishments with auto-s means SQUAT. Would you take someone who says they can FC PSMO with Little on seriously?
Who would boast about their accomplishments with auto-anything? :shock:

Oh, now I need to go try PSMO with Little on. :lol:

To company: I can understand and agree with (at least partially) most of your analogies, but that still doesn't address the issue of *why* learning with auto-scratch would be so fatal while most people (? - limited sample warning) encourage learning on 5key.

Here's my analogy for auto-scratch and similar devices. When a student first starts studying the flute, some teachers will start by teaching them to read music. Some will teach them their first few (usually three or four) fingerings. Others will begin by detaching just the headjoint and having them train embouchure to the point where they can consistently produce a tone (and hopefully not faint after 10 minutes of playing), not even introducing them to the idea of fingering until they have a grasp of (what they think is) the most basic part of playing. You can have your own opinion on which of these elements is most important, hardest to integrate later, etc., but the fact remains that you're going to have to learn them all at some point and that it's usually hard to learn them concurrently unless you have prior experience with another instrument. I've never known any of these techniques to impair a flutist's long-term ability, hence my question: why is using autoscratch a couple of times more drastic than taking the headjoint off your average flute?

I'm at the point where I really think there's an underlying assumption I'm missing here. Maybe length of time? I've never actually used either 5key or auto-scratch (too stubborn), but I assume that if one did use them it would be for one or two playing sessions - not a very long-term commitment. Am I wrong?

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:55 pm

I bought Beatmania today, I am playing it after Family Guy.....lol.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:21 pm

You need the imported games HARD. Beatmania US is pale in comparison.

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:54 pm

NTSC region coding + DMCA pwns me, sorry. :wink:

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:13 am

Fight the man Arka.