What should I get?

beatmania, beatmaniaIIDX, beatmania III

Moderator: Moderators

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

What should I get?

Post by Cbav » Sun May 21, 2006 10:51 pm

My birthday is coming up here in July and I wanna get Beatmania. I've seen some 'packs' with a controller + game on sale in most places, but what Mix should I start with?

I'm really getting into Beatmania recently. I've been playing Metal Freaks Extreme 2 on newgrounds for a while now.

Another question... what's "IIDX" ? Beatmania IIDX?

meh.
Can get ahold of me @spookyxcraig

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun May 21, 2006 11:04 pm

I don't believe anything but the bundle has been released in the US at this point. You really do need the controller to fully experience the game, and the US controller isn't shabby at all.

beatmaniaIIDX is the Japanese version of the game. It is IIDX (version 2, deluxe) because they also had an original beatmania (with only 5 keys, rather than 7) in a much less flashy cabinet (if you haven't seen a IIDX cabinet, take my word that they are VERY impressive). In the US, there was a brief stint of a game called "Hip-Hop Mania" which was just beatmania released in the US with mostly hip-hop songs. Since the "beatmania" title has nothing to be a sequel to here in the US, they just called our release of IIDX "beatmania". Since it's quicker to say just "IIDX" instead of "beatmaniaIIDX" or even "beatmania", many players (especially those who have been playing the Japanese versions since before the US release) just call it "IIDX". This seems to happen in Japan, as well.

Some might argue that the Japanese software is better than the US release. I think they had some cost constraints for the US release (controller+game bundle for $60-70 is pretty darned cheap), though I will say that the interface is butt ugly. Otherwise, it's apparently decent. The controller is actually BETTER than the normal Japanese controller, too.

If you're planning on buying a US release, you only have one choice: the bundle. If you want to buy the Japanese versions, you can get them from the normal importers (Lik-Sang, PlayAsia, YesAsia, etc.) for about what you'd buy them on the shelf in Japan for (+ shipping), and your US controller will work. Of course, you'd need a Japanese PS2 (or a modded US one) to play them.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Sun May 21, 2006 11:21 pm

Ok cool.
I have a modded ps2... which I got for DDR Extreme (japanese)

So I'm guessing this is the primary US controller?

And... what mix should i buy?

(how is IIDX pronounced correctly?)
i-i-dee-ex?
or
id-ix?

TaQa
Standard
Standard

Post by TaQa » Sun May 21, 2006 11:30 pm

two-dee-ecks (2 d x)

The newest style (and a good one at that) is IIDX Red. EVENTUALLY you'll get obsessed enough to want them all, but I'd say 10th, Red, or maybe 8th. They're all rather good. All styles are pretty good (though 3rd-5th are a little boring IMO).

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun May 21, 2006 11:36 pm

The picture you posted is actually the Japanese controller. The US one is very similar, but the corners on the turntable side are rounded off to conform with the turntable.

I'm a big fan of IIDX 6th Style, but 9th and 10th are really good too. I've played RED on an arcade machine (in Japan), but not the CS (console) release. On arcades (AC), they're up to 13th style (DistorteD), but the CS release won't be out for a while now. They have to get through Happy Sky (12th) first. 7th CS is also good. I'm not a huge fan of 8th, though many people are. 3rd style also has some of the cool old stuff.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Mon May 22, 2006 6:19 am

Happy Sky has to be my favorite arcade release, and I've played substream, 4th, 8th, and 9th, not to mention most of the 5key spawns.

But US console version is alright, especially for a new player. I would say buy the US bundle, and if you get into it and like it, you already have your ps2 modded so you can import the better titles.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Mon May 22, 2006 7:26 am

i like 6th style as well but it has some of the fewest songs.

i found that 4th style had a decent amount of easier songs but the outdated engine constraints can get annoying at best. can't change the speed except when selecting the play mode and it's nowhere near as pretty as the newer engines.

my primary mix i learned on was 6th & keysounded 8th style bmses.

i would avoid the newer mixes starting off because they don't have very many lower-difficulty songs from 1-4 stars. plus you don't get to JIVE JIVE JIVE JIVE into the night!

if you're just finding out if this game is something you really want, just get the US bundle. the song selection is decent (sad they didn't fix the timing on some of the songs) and it'll keep you interested enough to at least learn the game.
insert code compile execute return

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon May 22, 2006 9:17 am

I honestly have to think that the US release is a bit of a mess so I've mainly been using 10th style and RED to get people into the game!
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Mon May 22, 2006 3:50 pm

Alright,

So it looks like I'm gonna search for a controller and buy maybe 9th or 10th style.
And Red is coming out soon for consoles? I've read some about it on aaroninjapan.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Mon May 22, 2006 3:52 pm

it's out! you should def get it if you're gonna get the newer mixes
insert code compile execute return

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Mon May 22, 2006 10:37 pm

Excellentay.

I've never seen anything beatmania related in a game store...
so i'm guessing the game/controller can easiest be found online?

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Mon May 22, 2006 10:57 pm

Actually, EB generally carries the US bundle, which, at $59.99, is actually cheaper than buying an imported controller, you don't have to pay shipping, and it comes with a game. You should definately go with the US bundle to start off with, and then you can always import other versions later on.
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue May 23, 2006 12:57 am

For those who live out in the boonies like I do, (Muncie Sucks) the Konami Style website is the most surefire way of getting the US bundle.

As for the imports Play Asia has the hookup on that.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!