beatmania, beatmaniaIIDX, beatmania III

Moderator: Moderators

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Beatmania US IS HERE!

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:25 pm

Beatmania US is out, albeit it will take some time for it to be available in all stores. Gamestop and EB should have it. Don't expect the department stores to have it and Best Buy won't carry it at all currently.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:10 am

Bought it today. Scoring system is janky.... you get AA's and AAA's so easy. I'm dissapointed that you can only play some songs for 5 keys and not 7 keys and vice versa, but overall it's fun.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:39 am

Here's what I've seen. Instead of having the timings be consistent like it was in the majority of Japanese releases it changes from song to song depending on which style/mix they took it from! E-Motion still has the wacky 3rd style timing so be warned! Also, compared to 10th style this graphical interface looks terrible in comparison. Hell, I'm going to be a jerk and say that 6th style looks better than the domestic release! Overall, I am not impressed by this release and I have to think that Konami is treating the US Bemani fans like second class citizens.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Jason Dread
Standard
Standard

Post by Jason Dread » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:52 am

Amp Divorax wrote:I have to think that Konami is treating the US Bemani fans like second class citizens.
Just as they have been for years.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:41 pm

I was psyched to get this cause I don't feel like importing/modding my ps2. But all I've heard is bad news about the gameplay. Guess I'll stick with our 4th style (kinda hard to after playing Happy Sky, *sigh*)

How's the controller though?
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:01 pm

It's good.

I don't want people to play it because I want to still be better than people.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:37 pm

Riot wrote:I'm dissapointed that you can only play some songs for 5 keys and not 7 keys and vice versa, but overall it's fun.
My understanding is that some of the songs came from the original beatmania series and have never appeared in IIDX. Therefore, there are no 7-key charts available for those songs unless they wanted to create some for this release. They're simply bundling beatmania (1) and beatmaniaIIDX into a single game here in the US since we've never had the original series before now.

As to why some songs would not have 5-key charts...I don't know. I thought everything in IIDX had 5-key charts, but I could be mistaken.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:35 pm

Really good, I don't see it breaking or sticking anytime soon due to the spring-loaded keys. Don't smash the keys when you play otherwise you'll develop really nasty and painful calluses. The controller is better and cheaper than the imported KOCs, my only qualm with the US controller is that the turntable seems a bit stiff compared to the Japanese controller.

Maybe just maybe if this game gets popular Putt-Putt will upgrade their IIDX machine to something not archaic, you know, upgrade to a style that actually gives you a grade and allows you to use something other than high-speed 1.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:45 pm

Ho wrote:As to why some songs would not have 5-key charts...I don't know. I thought everything in IIDX had 5-key charts, but I could be mistaken.
IIDX generates 5k charts by simpling autoplaying the 6th and 7th buttons of the 7k chart. This means that the 5k charts often make very little sense (portions of scales will get cut off, for example) and can frequently be harder than the L7 chart. They're easier to play on a dualshock, though...

On the arcade, 5 keys is actually a selectable option (just like random or high speed). I think this may have finally appeared on CS10.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:12 pm

Merk wrote:
Really good, I don't see it breaking or sticking anytime soon due to the spring-loaded keys. Don't smash the keys when you play otherwise you'll develop really nasty and painful calluses. The controller is better and cheaper than the imported KOCs, my only qualm with the US controller is that the turntable seems a bit stiff compared to the Japanese controller.

Maybe just maybe if this game gets popular Putt-Putt will upgrade their IIDX machine to something not archaic, you know, upgrade to a style that actually gives you a grade and allows you to use something other than high-speed 1.
Time to kill this rumor here and now! The keys are NOT spring loaded! http://www.bemanistyle.com/forum/viewto ... start=2120 has pictures of the new controller design. I'm trading in my old games to get the controller only so I can start playing 14 keys.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:37 pm

Oh, for those who don't already know. Another mode is on here! However, it has to be unlocked by passing all songs on both "regular" and IIDX modes. Also, I can confirm that The Shining Polaris, and Music To Your Head have different hyper notecharts and personally speaking I prefer the ones that appear in the JP series.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:05 am

just got this tonight
personally speaking, this mix is a fucking pile of garbage. I am so glad I have the japanese mixes.

Dear Konami,

Next time you port a game to US from the bemani series stop doing the following:

*Locking out the 'hard/maniac/another' modes. I don't want to unlock them. WHY do I want to play the songs I hate just to play the version I want?

*WE MIGHT BE DUMB AMERICANS BUT THE PEOPLE WHO PLAY YOUR GAMES ARE NOT TOTAL STEREOTYPICAL WHITE PEOPLE. WHY THE HELL DO WE WANT CELEBRATION? NOBODY WILL BE DJING THEIR WEDDING WITH BEATMANIA DAMNIT!!!

*Stop jumping back 3 generations of engines just so you can cash out on every iteration in america. I just won't buy it. I can get newer shit from Japan.
insert code compile execute return

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:52 am

MonMotha wrote:
Ho wrote:As to why some songs would not have 5-key charts...I don't know. I thought everything in IIDX had 5-key charts, but I could be mistaken.
IIDX generates 5k charts by simpling autoplaying the 6th and 7th buttons of the 7k chart. This means that the 5k charts often make very little sense (portions of scales will get cut off, for example) and can frequently be harder than the L7 chart. They're easier to play on a dualshock, though...

On the arcade, 5 keys is actually a selectable option (just like random or high speed). I think this may have finally appeared on CS10.
Now that you mention it, I do recall that being the case on the JP releases. Given that fact, I can't say that I'd miss the 5-key option on non-native 5-key songs...not that I really ever play 5-key anyway.

But are you saying that on this US version they're simply not offering the "6/7 autoplay makes 5-key chart" option?

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:19 pm

i think it has to do with some licensing snafu. if you remember, there was a release in the arcades for iidx named substream after 1st style...this had a ton of 5key songs with specially made 7 key charts. i think it has to do with the tracks that are in the game were only licensed for either the beatmania or the beatmania iidx game title...hence why you have to select between the two ingame yet konami does not want to differentiate the two titles as the software name.

well now i'm not so sure...e-motion was on substream...fuck it i don't know
insert code compile execute return

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:29 pm

Say I'm looking to maybe get into Beatmania...would this be the game to start? From what you guys say, I would imply no, but I'm gonna be a nub so maybe I want easier songs/charts.

-Dan