Pop'n Controller Problem

Moderator: Moderators

Secef
Standard
Standard

Pop'n Controller Problem

Post by Secef » Mon May 16, 2005 10:48 pm

Tragedy has struck. My Ransai Pop'n Music controller has broken... to a certain extent.

I played earlier today no problem, but this evening when I tried to play, I noticed in the first song that my left blue button was giving me Boos where I knew I was dead on. So, after that song ended, I flipped it over, unscrewed its back, and checked the blue button for damage. What did I find?

A dangling wire, not connected to anything. *gasp*

Now, I'm no electronics wizard, but I could gather that this was not good. Upon further inspection, I found that the dangling wire was supposed to be connected to the metal point on the microswitch. I figured this since there appeared to be a broken wire sticking out of the solder. Also, I played around with pushing the blue button and touching the dangling wire to the metal point, and lo' and behold, it worked when there was contact and didn't when there wasn't.

So, that's the problem. A wire has become unsoldered, a seemingly simple problem, and I realize what needs to be done to fix this. However, I can't fix this myself. I know nothing about soldering, nor have the tools available to do so even if I did. So... suggestions? How can I go about getting this fixed? I'm not sure how I can accomplish this.

djfooboo
Standard
Standard

Post by djfooboo » Mon May 16, 2005 11:16 pm

My recommendation is to sell me the controller for 2$

Or just have one of your friends who is handy with a solder fix it. It would be real easy. You could even have them teach you some basics of soldering so you can fix it anytime.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue May 17, 2005 8:08 am

If you bring it by some time while I'm in town at a get-together, I can fix it up for you in about 5 minutes (4.5 to warm up the iron, 0.5 to fix it). There's a possibility of this Thurs. evening. I'll get back with you. That's in Indianapolis, of course. Or you can come up to Terre Haute during the week.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Secef
Standard
Standard

Post by Secef » Tue May 17, 2005 4:35 pm

MonMotha wrote:If you bring it by some time while I'm in town at a get-together, I can fix it up for you in about 5 minutes (4.5 to warm up the iron, 0.5 to fix it). There's a possibility of this Thurs. evening. I'll get back with you. That's in Indianapolis, of course. Or you can come up to Terre Haute during the week.
Ah, really? I'd be quite grateful. I could make a trip to Indy on Thursday evening no problem, just let me know when and where.

Spazz
Standard
Standard

Post by Spazz » Thu May 19, 2005 8:27 am

Do it ghetto style. Go and buy some solder, then grab a big lighter and screwdriver. Heat up screwdriver until it's hot enough to melt the solder and then QUICKLY solder the wire. Fixed.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu May 19, 2005 8:59 am

If you're going to go buy solder, you might as well pick up the darn soldering iron too and save your screwdriver. It's not easy to get the solder off the screwdriver should some flux and molten solder get on it without solder wick, and cheap soldering irons are just that: cheap (around $8). They're a lot easier to use for this purpose too.

You don't need a fancy temp controlled iron for simple stuff like this (though boy are they nice to have! I wish I had one).
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.