Total Newb to Pop'n Music...Please help.

Moderator: Moderators

Frank918

Total Newb to Pop'n Music...Please help.

Post by Frank918 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:04 am

OK. So here's the deal:

My PS2 broke, so now I own a PS3. However, I would really like to get into Pop'n Music.

That being said, I think there are a few crucial questions to ask:

1) Can I play Pop'n Music on the PS3?

2) If so, what versions?

3) If so, how do I go about being able to play them? And also, what is the most reliable place to get them from??

4) Since there has yet to be a Pop'n Music made for PS3, what measures do I have to go to play an import PS2 game on my PS3??

5) Finally...How and where do I go to get a reliable Pop'n Music controller that is going to be compatible with my PS3? And, if such a thing exists, how reliable is it exactly???

Thank you so much for you help, whomever answers this...I cannot wait to delve into Pop'n Music.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:08 am

answers

1: if it is a jap ps3

If it is an american PS3 then no to all the rest

simple solution, buy a used slim PS2 and mod it with a fliptop

Frank918

Post by Frank918 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:12 am

I very much appreciate the input! However, from what I understand, this can be done in some way...I just am not sure how! I believe the true question is this:

How is one able to play import PS2 games on the PS3?

Considering the PS3's considerable hardware capability/flexibility, I don't see this as being too significant of an issue -- the real issue is the fact that this is not my particular area of expertise.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:22 am

I have not heard of any methods as far as I know of

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:37 am

If you have a newer PS3, then it probably lacks PS2 backwards compatibility to begin with. Sony axed that as a cost cutting measure several months ago.

While the US and Japan share regions for PS3 games, they do not for PS2 games, and the PS3 will enforce region restrictions for old games (as well as DVDs, despite Blu-Ray movies also being the same region for both US and Japan). AFAIK, there are no mod solutions for PS3 yet to enable out-of-region gameplay.

The easiest thing to do by far would be to buy a used Japanese PS2. They aren't too expensive, and everything will "just work". The 2nd easiest would be to get an American PS2 and mod it via your choice of method.

As for controls, it's rather a pointless debate since there's no real way for you to play pop'n on your PS3, and all pop'n controllers will work fine on a PS2.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Frank918

Post by Frank918 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:45 am

Thank you very much, that helped a lot, and I appreciate the meaningful and useful input.

Here's to hoping that Pop'n Music 16 (Party) will be dev'd for the PS3 -- wishful thinking at best, I'm assuming...