Must have Pop'n...

Moderator: Moderators

mexican ninja
Heavy
Heavy

Must have Pop'n...

Post by mexican ninja » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:39 pm

So last weekend I got to play pop'n music for the first time and it AWESOME. I've pretty much decided that I want it in my house, but the problem is I really don't much about pop'n. I pretty much only know that Ransai made controllers, but they don't anymore.

So, my questions:

Where can I get a decent pop'n controller?

What should I use to play the games? Modded/Jap PS2? Can I just download pop'n games off the internet and boot them on my computer?

And finally (for now) cost. How much would a decent pop'n setup run me?

Any help, advice, whatever would be awesome.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:43 pm

Controller: Desktop Arcade if you want an ASC, as I don't think Ransai is really building them anymore.

To play: Japanese PS2 or a modded one. The newer games have issues with HD Loader, and 10 doesn't even work at all with it. The games are PS2 games, so you can't run them on a PC.

Cost: a decent controller is $250-$350, and the games are about $70 each.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:00 pm

Desktop Arcade controllers cost 200$ with no lights. You can download the isos burn them to a DVD and then used swapmagic to load it. And contrary to what Brandon said, since I am using an HD-loader, the newer ones run fine 13-14. 12 and older have issues, both sync and playing the wrong sounds on the song. I am getting a slim ps2 and buying the new flip top (or you can tissue paper mod the button that resets the PS2 when you open it) and get swapmagic, so I can just burn the pop n games.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:28 pm

13 desyncs for me and sometimes plays the wrong samples, just like 12 does. Perhaps you're just getting lucky. I have not tried 14.

I also see 10+ as "newer", so my statement is still "correct", as I did not say all newer versions have issues.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:39 pm

You should put your mouth on that.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

mexican ninja
Heavy
Heavy

Post by mexican ninja » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:24 am

Zach how could you even use that naturally?

Well, thanks for the advice guys. I will have enough monies saved up by this time next month for a controller, so yay for that!

Also I only asked about playing on the computer because I'm like 80% sure that the pop 'n I played was on this guys computer. I think he said it was the newest arcade release, but again don't hold me to that. Everyone that knows me knows I tend to drift in and out of conversations.

Anyways, Japanese PS2, what's the best way to come about one of those? I would just mod the PS2 I have right now but that thing is on its last leg. Sometimes Guitar Hero songs unsync and that's just bad.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:43 am

He's right on the money. You can get it off a certain website about Bemani. PM me maybe?
Music is a special thing because everyone is wrong on everything but it all works out in the end and we all get high as shit.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:12 pm

mexican ninja wrote:Zach how could you even use that naturally?

Well, thanks for the advice guys. I will have enough monies saved up by this time next month for a controller, so yay for that!

Also I only asked about playing on the computer because I'm like 80% sure that the pop 'n I played was on this guys computer. I think he said it was the newest arcade release, but again don't hold me to that. Everyone that knows me knows I tend to drift in and out of conversations.

Anyways, Japanese PS2, what's the best way to come about one of those? I would just mod the PS2 I have right now but that thing is on its last leg. Sometimes Guitar Hero songs unsync and that's just bad.
Play Asia sells Japanese PS2s, albeit you will pay a higher price than a domestic PS2 so be warned. As for the version you played on PC, you really don't want to mention that on a public forum.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!
Merk wrote:Potter if Citizens United actually gets overturned and not replaced by some equally awful legislation I will suck your dick and take a bunch of selfie snaps whilst doing so.