Favorite Pop N Music songs

Moderator: Moderators

Zorblack
Beginner
Beginner

Favorite Pop N Music songs

Post by Zorblack » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:58 pm

Hey, I'm new to Pop N Music, I just recently got a konami controller from Ebay and a friend has a errrr, cough..."import" copy of Pop N Music...on a completely legitimate dvd. Unfortunately for me, it's pop n music 11, and I'm not seeing too many songs on it that I can really get into (of course nothing is unlocked yet). What I'm looking for is a pop n music game with a good mix of rock, techno, and classical music, as those three are the only type I like (I don't know how to describe what I don't like about 11's songlist, it just, doesn't appeal to me I guess?) What are your recommendations for a pop n music game that contains mostly the three types I like? Also if you know where I could get them, that would be great (illegit and legit means would both be appreciated). Thanks a lot!

Arka
Standard
Standard

Re: Favorite Pop N Music songs

Post by Arka » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:26 pm

Zorblack wrote:Hey, I'm new to Pop N Music, I just recently got a konami controller from Ebay and a friend has a errrr, cough..."import" copy of Pop N Music...on a completely legitimate dvd. Unfortunately for me, it's pop n music 11, and I'm not seeing too many songs on it that I can really get into (of course nothing is unlocked yet). What I'm looking for is a pop n music game with a good mix of rock, techno, and classical music, as those three are the only type I like (I don't know how to describe what I don't like about 11's songlist, it just, doesn't appeal to me I guess?) What are your recommendations for a pop n music game that contains mostly the three types I like? Also if you know where I could get them, that would be great (illegit and legit means would both be appreciated). Thanks a lot!
Holy cow, someone posted in the Pop'N Music forum. :shock:

That said, I have virtually nothing to add to this topic. However, I'll warn you that most mixes of Pop'N in my limited experience are predominantly JPop or (light) JRap. So the best advice I can give you is to try the JPop anyway - you may find it grows on you.

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:28 pm

Talk to Ho. He has about any kind of beat game in his basement imaginable.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:26 pm

Pop'n has a fairly decent variety of music, certainly not limited to J-Pop. Even so, much of it probably won't appeal to the average American. It's mostly pretty light and fluffy, very little in the way of what we would know as modern rock, and certainly nothing USians would consider rap (thank god).

That said, there is ceratainly classical music. It's mostly in the form if extremely hard medleys, though (there was one on every CS version of Pop'n up through 11 - 12 broke the mold).

Pop'n gives the song genre for every song on the game (it's written on the song selection in English, but in katakana, or on the banner in plain roman characters). Basically, just keep playing songs until you find things you like. I can safely say that I enjoy all but maybe 5 of the songs in the default sort, and things get even better once you start unlocking the secret folder (which seems to take a painfully long time on 11).

On 11, check out
In the default sort: Beatrock 3, Sushi (スシ), Rhythm and Police (the genre is Sousasen (捜査<another kanji>, I can't get my recognizer to get the last kanji)), Bakabon (バカボン), Retro Pop Ska 2, Bastard Pop, and Taiga Remix.

In other folders (secret needs unlocked): Contemporary Nation (CS), Contemporary Nation 2 (Sec) (these are freaking awesome), Surfy (AC) (starts off being kinda dumb, but grows on you), Gradius (AC) (this is, appropriately, the theme from Gradius).

In reality, each Bemani game has somewhat of its own feel to the songs on it. Pop'n tends to have fairly light, fluffy songs, IIDX tends to have more industrial sounding songs, GF/DM has lots of J-Rock, and DDR had lots of J-Pop. If you like the game, the music will become more to your liking as you play it.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.