DrumMania

GuitarFreaks, DrumMania, keyboardmania

Moderator: Moderators

Fluffyumpkins

Re: DrumMania

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:33 pm

Merk wrote:Welp, I figured searching for "Drummania Cabinet" would produce a relevant result on eBay! What, pray-tell, did you search for to reach that wonderful entry, Mr. Ho?
If you purchase one, I am willing to store it. You are made of money.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:02 pm

WELL WHAT THE FUCK?!?!

Baka gaijins don't realize that Drummania is one word.

It's not BEAT MANIA. It's beatmania. Jesus! Learn some culture!

Buuuuut in any case. $4000 is a substantial amount of cash. Would it just be easier to buy that DTX drumset?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:21 pm

$4000 is fairly high. Auction style listings generally go much lower ($300-2000, depending on age, condition, and version).

However, that is V6, which is CURRENT in Japan. That increases the cost substantially. It would also get you the latest and greatest hardware, which is handy for buying 2nd hand upgrade kits off YAJ. That's a fairly newish cabinet. Probably from the V-V3 era. Looks to be in good shape. It's probably "worth" about $2500-3500 to the right buyer. You could always drop an offer on it and see what happens.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:29 pm

I am in a heated bidding war for a giant DrumMania controller

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :MEBIDX:IT

I have never done anything on eBay guys I am kind of nervous <: (

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:19 pm

Good luck! That's a good set. :)

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:38 pm

About 2 hours ago there was a DM 4th Mix cabinet listed for ~$700.

I sent Chad an e-mail asking if I could store it at his place before pulling the trigger because holy shit it's a DM cab for $700.

Motherfucker never got back to me and now it's not on eBay anymore. I can only imagine someone out there on the internet got the deal of the century and that someone wasn't me. Thanks Chad!

<--- Legitimately angry

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:38 pm

Merk wrote:About 2 hours ago there was a DM 4th Mix cabinet listed for ~$700.

I sent Chad an e-mail asking if I could store it at his place before pulling the trigger because holy shit it's a DM cab for $700.

Motherfucker never got back to me and now it's not on eBay anymore. I can only imagine someone out there on the internet got the deal of the century and that someone wasn't me. Thanks Chad!

<--- Legitimately angry
Things you should've done:

1. Call me
2. Text me

I already said you could house a machine here. Hell between me, Mike, Katy, and Brian, I'm sure someone could have kept it handy. Next time just go for it.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:43 pm

I posted this an hour ago and you have not responded.

<--- Legitimately angry

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:08 pm

That cabinet has been listed previously at a comparable price. If you'll notice, it's in Canada. That makes shipping it extra expensive. You'd probably be looking at $600+ (and possibly topping $1000) to ship the thing to the Indianapolis area.

On the upside, it looked to be in decent shape. Dedicated 4th mix.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:57 pm

So I've started to play some DM, and I'm really starting to enjoy it. I'm wondering whether or not my lack of any real drumming experience will hinder gameplay. Simply things like holding the sticks correctly elude me. Should I take drum lessons to make me better at vid games?

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:04 am

Watch a youtubes you'll get better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b98BJ36K1wo <- like this guy. He plays drums for Pendulum now.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:50 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:So I've started to play some DM, and I'm really starting to enjoy it. I'm wondering whether or not my lack of any real drumming experience will hinder gameplay. Simply things like holding the sticks correctly elude me. Should I take drum lessons to make me better at vid games?
Chad it actually makes me happy to hear that you're playing this game and enjoying it! I wouldn't worry about lessons or any of that shit. Like with all music games you'll eventually learn the "right" way to play it after a lot of practice (IIDX notwithstanding). DM is very much like DDR in my opinion where eventually you'll hit a wall where you can't PA or clear a song without playing it correctly.

For example, To The IST on Extreme has a nice little Hi-Hit / Snare pattern at the beginning where you have to cross your right hand over your left to prevent yourself from double-sticking which makes it easier to PA. I imagine at the higher tiers nearly every song has a little weird arm-crossing "gotcha" that you either need to memorize or be able to read and anticipate.

Just keep in mind that drumming is all in the wrists. You only need to use your arms to move from drum to drum, actually moving the sticks should be done with your wrists. Don't have a death grip on the sticks - you should have a loose but sturdy and controlled grip. The stick should be held between the index finger and thumb with the other three fingers being used to prevent the stick from going all over the place. If you can effortlessly pull off a drum roll then you're holding the sticks with the right amount of grip and control.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:47 am

I tend to agree that you'll probably just naturally fall into a reasonable form as you play and improve. The only main issue with DrumMania in particular, as opposed to "real" drumming, is that the setup of the hi-hat tends to encourage not cross sticking and playing with your left hand. While I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, it does seem to be atypical for set drummers and many common drum patterns definitely seem easier to do if you're using your right hand there (such as hitting a cymbal while still maintaining a snare pattern).

I guess what I'm saying is that you might develop some "bad habits" without any formal training. But then again, many great musicians have had no formal training. Some may argue their technique is lacking, but who cares if their results are amazing?

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon May 02, 2011 2:58 pm

So, I'll admit I haven't really looked at my PCB in my cabinet or anything, but how hard would it be to find a Multi-Session Unit and could it be installed on any PCB that you may find in, say, a DM cabinet bought off e-bay that has what I assume is not original hardware?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon May 02, 2011 3:22 pm

Finding the multi-session unit will be hard at this point, I think. They used to show up on eBay and YAJ, but I haven't seen them on either in quite awhile. To link, you'll need a security cart with the proper ports on it which lead to the link port usually low on the back of the machine. That link port also has audio controls for the audio connections between the cabinet and the session unit. Pretty much all of that stuff can be found or fabricated for reasonable cost if you don't already have them in your cabinet.