Keyboardmania...

GuitarFreaks, DrumMania, keyboardmania

Moderator: Moderators

Tangent
Beginner
Beginner

Keyboardmania...

Post by Tangent » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:45 pm

Anyone else here played it? It's really scarce nowadays, but my area's TNT grabbed one lately. It's REALLY fun once you get better and can get into the harder stuff like Threshold Lebel and Classic Party 3. Most of the songs are Popn'-esque, but none too sugar-coated. Well?
beatmaniaIIDX 5th Style
When a sound and light fuse, an entertainment of shock to accept breath is created.

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:18 pm

1 of the best bemani to buy for home IMO.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:04 pm

I really want to play this game. As badly as I want pop'n.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Tangent
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tangent » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:22 pm

CaseyDidder wrote:1 of the best bemani to buy for home IMO.
I would kill to play this at home. It's actually rather cheap compared to DrumMania or Guitarfreaks at home, but I'm just too lazy to order online. I'm sure that there's a way to rig a MIDI keyboard to make a KBM keyboard... it'd be really interesting to get into keyboard modding.
beatmaniaIIDX 5th Style
When a sound and light fuse, an entertainment of shock to accept breath is created.

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:31 pm

Tangent wrote:
CaseyDidder wrote:1 of the best bemani to buy for home IMO.
I would kill to play this at home. It's actually rather cheap compared to DrumMania or Guitarfreaks at home, but I'm just too lazy to order online. I'm sure that there's a way to rig a MIDI keyboard to make a KBM keyboard... it'd be really interesting to get into keyboard modding.
I think ho did this, again talk to the all knowing :o

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:40 pm

Actually, Ho has an offical KBM controller.

Keyboardmania 1 does not support this functionality at all, however KBM II supposedly does.

However, we tried to get my MIDI keyboard working with KBM with no success at all. We tried two different USB MIDI adapters (including the one reccomended by name in the manual) to no avail. The dongle was not even receiving power
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:06 pm

As Casey hinted at, out of all the Bemani KBM is probably the one that you can replicate the arcade the best at home. If you get into KBM it would most likely be cheaper in the long run to just buy the game and controller, as playing at home isn't really all that different than playing at the arcade.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:10 pm

There's one important difference though:

On the arcade, the little things you have to hit (wtf are they called in KBM?) are aligned with the corresponding key on the keyboard (or so I've been told). This is not the case when playing CS, unless you go to a lot of trouble to line things up, of course.

While it probably won't hurt people who are good at the game, it can make getting used to the game a little more challenging, especially if you aren't already fairly familiar with the general layout of a keyboard.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Karl
Standard
Standard

Post by Karl » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:58 am

We've got a Keyboard machine down here and I've got a friend with the home versions. The home controller is surprisingly of higher quality than the arcade. KBM has a lot awesome songs on it and it sucks that it was killed off.

*Imagines Kakumei, No. 13, A, and Murmur Twins on KBM* :O
The internet is serious buisness, kids.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:13 am

I loved playing Keyboard Mania at Dance Beat arcade (before it broke!) but the volume was always way too soft. I also like KM quite a bit because it really closely replicates actually playing a keyboard --- on the higher difficulty settings all the notes are the 'right' notes so that if you actually played a real keyboard instead it would sound decent.

The only thing I wished is that there was an option to read the notes in musical notation; for someone with piano experience that would make things a TON easier...

Tangent
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tangent » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:22 pm

Karl wrote:*Imagines Kakumei, No. 13, A, and Murmur Twins on KBM* :O
If you get the computer sim for it, DoReMi Mania, you can get those. ArchOwl packaged a crapload of .pms files (simfiles for DRM), with all of those you named (maybe not Murmur Twins). It should be on BemaniStyle in the Session Simulation section of the forum.

DoReMi Mania is great. The .pms files are ridiculously easy to make. If you get the PMS Converter, you just load in a .midi file and it makes a pms from it. Of course, you have to mess with it a bit so that it doesn't span 9 octaves, but compared to .dwi's or .bms's, it's a snap.

Also, believe it or not, the notes ARE the right notes. If you play The Least 100 Sec on KBM, then again on a piano, they are the right notes. I have nearly half that song memorized from the sheet music and I can just play it at the arcade from memory :D

Anyway, sorry for the long post; I'm just trying to get full use out of my 5-a-day limit.
beatmaniaIIDX 5th Style