Heya :3

Don't be a stranger (or a lurker)...introduce yourself here!

Moderator: Moderators

GMSRocks104
Standard
Standard

Heya :3

Post by GMSRocks104 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:47 pm

Hey guys! It's cool to see that there's a Indiana DDR community. So, I thought I'd join and a little bit about myself:
I've enjoyed rhythm games like Guitar Hero and Project Diva around my teens and those games helped my realize that this genre is my thing. However, I casually played DDR on my Xbox when I was a kid and shortly got rid of it. I may have been really young during the early 2000s but I clearly remember the sensation of DDR! With new-found interest, I bought a PS2 DDR game/dancepad for 5 bucks recently at a local Goodwill and I realized what I have been missing out on. A great music game that I consider (and I bet many others) a revolution in the genre and the scene I saw at ACEN this year got me interested to take this game more seriously. I'm just starting out but I am determined to improve with the PS2 game and invest in a good metal pad for StepMania, any recommendations?

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Re: Heya :3

Post by Potter » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:54 am

this will be your last post
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:36 am

I haven't followed much, but I would say the quality of most metal pads aren't that great. The home peripheral market seemed to die out a bit, and a lot of the metal pads you see around the internet look kind of shady. I remember buying a metal pad back when I first started playing back in like 02' or 03' and it was pretty flimsy and the wires shorted out pretty quickly. I'm sure they've gotten better, but I haven't followed. Most of us these days own our own machines since we are all old and nerdy. I would say your best bet to get better is to see if you can find a local arcade that has the game (that's hopefully in good shape) and to practice on the real thing.

And as potter said, most people tend to introduce themselves and then disappear, never to post again lol. Where in Indiana do you live? You can check out the arcade locator here or our own Locations forum for a nearby arcade maybe. https://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/arcades.php

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:10 pm

In terms of a good pad/platform Cobalt Flux and BlueShark were the best and both haven't been around in years sadly. Honestly, the best option outside of buying a cabinet at this point is to build your own as this point.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

GMSRocks104
Standard
Standard

Post by GMSRocks104 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:00 pm

Potter wrote:this will be your last post
Why so pessimistic...? :?

And thank you very much Riot for a arcade locator! I was thinking about the Cobalt Flux but again that's discontinued.. But I've heard good things from precision dance pads (Omega GX) and I plan to e-mail them.
I live in the Carmel area :D Let me fetch my monocle haha

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:22 pm

There are some other dudes that live around there that can probably point you to arcades and stuff. I'm up in Fort Wayne - most of the arcades got rid of music games. I would say 75% of the remaining posters on this forum have their own machine now haha.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:08 pm

Riot wrote:There are some other dudes that live around there that can probably point you to arcades and stuff. I'm up in Fort Wayne - most of the arcades got rid of music games. I would say 75% of the remaining posters on this forum have their own machine now haha.
This is mostly true. I will mention that I've heard mixed results about Omega GX (That price is WTF worthy) and personally I feel the experience isn't the same when compared to playing on an actual cabinet.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Post by Diamondback1996 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:03 am

Only DDR I know of in the area is at Tilt in Circle Centre. They have two machines, and X and an SN2. The SN2 was broken last time I went and it's been like that since at least October. The X is in okay shape, good for what it is. The SN2 is definitely the better machine when it's working though. They also have Pump It Up NX (PIU is 5 panels: 4 corner panels and a center one).

There's an SN1 at that Holiday Inn waterpark on Michigan Road. Not sure on the condition or if you can even get in without a waterpark pass or room.

There's a couple of ITG2s (basically the same concept as DDR) in Hamilton County according to the ZIv database: one in Carmel at Laser Flash (which may move to a location in Fishers) and another in Fishers at Pinheads.

Aside from those machines and any others that have flown under the radar, everything else is PIU around here. The best machine in the area overall (aside from private ones) is most likely the PIU Infinity at Latitude 360 near Castleton Square Mall.

The DDR situation here has pretty much forced me to look for my own machine so I can actually play.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:14 am

Welcome. If you're into Pump it Up at all, there are better options in town for playing!

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:18 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Welcome. If you're into Pump it Up at all, there are better options in town for playing!
Well.... that's not exactly true anymore as I'm about to update a location post. :(
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:21 am

GMSRocks104 wrote:
Potter wrote:this will be your last post
Why so pessimistic...? :?

sorry, I meant your third to last post
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

GMSRocks104
Standard
Standard

Post by GMSRocks104 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:54 pm

I'm not going anywhere Potter.. and also stop being condescending and rude, it's uncalled for. Maybe that's why a lot of newcomers were steered away from this forum because you think you hold a prestigious status that makes them feel unwelcome. At the end of the day, it's a video game that I plan to enjoy for a long time regardless of how many steps I can play on. And you know what? You can't take that away from me. Feel free to mock me if you want if that makes you feel better.

By the way to others, still playing ITG and DDR. I went to Lowe's and cut some plywood for a base and bar kit for a GX. Precession Dance Pads is using customizable pressure plates so it will feel more arcade like and I can adjust it to my liking! I e-mailed them with a custom skin though so it will take awhile. I'm stuck with a ghetto set-up of the dance mat duck-taped to plywood.
Been to the arcades in Carmel to get a feel of how picky I want them. I'm not obsessed (yet!) nor ready to commit thousands of dollars for a arcade cabinet. I just don't have the space mostly haha. Plus I'm going to TooManyGames this weekend and I bet they will have some cabinets to get me sweating.
Hopefully meet-ups are still happening here. I have only seen one per year for the last few years. What's the history? A veteran user I know IRL told me a bit but not too much.. But I've heard a ton of stories and I hope I'll be around.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:12 pm

GMSRocks104 wrote:I'm not going anywhere Potter.. and also stop being condescending and rude, it's uncalled for. Maybe that's why a lot of newcomers were steered away from this forum because you think you hold a prestigious status that makes them feel unwelcome. At the end of the day, it's a video game that I plan to enjoy for a long time regardless of how many steps I can play on. And you know what? You can't take that away from me. Feel free to mock me if you want if that makes you feel better.

irl LOL. you sound like you're 13 so I'll be nice, but it was a joke. we have a new member on here every week that makes a post identical to yours then never comes back. getting the joke would require reading comprehension, so I can see why you were hitting a wall with it

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:58 am

Meet-ups are pretty uncommon these days for a few reasons:

1. Not many public venues left.
2. Lots of DDR machines in private ownership.
3. Nobody seems to take the helm to plan anything.

All that said, this community is still pretty friendly, and posting here is a great way to kill time during the workday!

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:20 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Meet-ups are pretty uncommon these days for a few reasons:

1. Not many public venues left.
2. Lots of DDR machines in private ownership.
3. Nobody seems to take the helm to plan anything.

All that said, this community is still pretty friendly, and posting here is a great way to kill time during the workday!
Well, maybe we should change #3. I know that until I do finalize my permanent residence I can't host anything, but I would definitely bring chips and soda to whatever event did happen if it was a private residence.
Memorable 2016 quotes: