Hello!

Don't be a stranger (or a lurker)...introduce yourself here!

Moderator: Moderators

pinktofu
Light
Light

Hello!

Post by pinktofu » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:21 pm

Hey everyone! I am out of Los Angeles, CA, and I am the owner of 2 DDR machines:

1. 6th mix full legitimate - came with med res monitor, replacing
2. 8th mix bootleg upgrade from 4th mix - very worn dance pad, refurbing
I also own a separate 8th mix system unit/pcb.
I purchased a memory card panel which I have yet to test, based on what I have read from these forums, it sounds like I need to connect it to the pcb via usb.

Thanks!
--Pinktofu

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Re: Hello!

Post by MonMotha » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:11 pm

Do NOT plug the memory card board into a PC (like an actual PC that you can plug a keyboard, etc. into, running Windows, Linux, whatever). The cable is USB, but it's not actually USB: it's JVS. It definitely won't work, and it might break things.

If by "PC" you mean the "system unit" in the machine, then yes. It plugs into the "USB port" on it, which is again not actually USB but JVS. This ONLY applies to the original "System 573" model hardware used by 1st-Extreme. Some of the very new versions (DDR X and newer) are actual PCs and have their USB ports exposed. Same thing as I originally said applies: do NOT plug the card slots in. They won't work, and you might break them in this case. There's no support for the playstation card slots on versions of DDR newer than Extreme.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

pinktofu
Light
Light

Post by pinktofu » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:22 pm

Hey! Thanks for the response.

I had no intention of plugging in the memory board board into a PC, but I appreciate the warning.

And yes, I meant the system unit to the memory card board. I assume if it not an actual USB slot, it does not use a USB cable? If so, any ideas where to acquire this cable?

My only intention is to use the memory card board and panel in my 6th mix unit.

Thank you!

--Pinktofu

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:54 am

Welcome to IndyDDR.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:57 pm

It does use a USB cable. The connectors are the same as USB, but it's not actually USB on the cable. It's very confusing and was done because the guys who devised the standard wanted a cheap, readily available cable. Any ol' USB cable will work. Just make sure you know what you're plugging it into.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:41 am

Also, hello, and welcome to IndyDDR, your go-to source for obscure technical details on the inner workings of DDR machines.

Also, probably your go-to source for information about music arcade games, including but not limited to, DDR, in the great state of Indiana. At least, sometimes, your go-to source for such information. You may also find some links to videos and/or pictures of cats which may or may not be captioned.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:15 am

I don't know how we got a reputation that we can answer obscure questions about DDR such that people from Australia and San Francisco post here but hey, the more the merrier.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:32 am

Merk wrote:I don't know how we got a reputation that we can answer obscure questions about DDR such that people from Australia and San Francisco post here but hey, the more the merrier.
Pretty sure a lot of the technical articles from DDRFreak have IndyDDR watermarks and reference links.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:49 am

Man does anyone remember when DDRfreak was still around? I remember going there back in the 4th mix days.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:52 pm

I love how indyddr is like THE ddr forum now. who would have thought we'd be the one to stand the test of timeeeee

we're famousss
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

JzN
Standard
Standard

Post by JzN » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:16 pm

mind you that for all of MonMotha's help and other IndyDDR'ers, there are now several more living DDR cabs around the world...

a Rare breed...

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:54 am

Videogame collecting can be pretty cool.