I was in Mishawaka, Indiana today

Don't be a stranger (or a lurker)...introduce yourself here!

Moderator: Moderators

the gattchoon
Standard
Standard

I was in Mishawaka, Indiana today

Post by the gattchoon » Sun May 14, 2006 12:27 am

Hey... I was at the Megaplay Family Entertainment Center today in Mishawaka, Indiana.

I recently moved to South Bend, IN from California (for school... I go to Notre Dame). I haven't played DDR for ages (I am an oldie on DDR Freak, and almost long lost name =P) and I was just wondering who's in the area and who is a regular at Megaplay.

I know there might be a competition (mainly PA, no?) in July there, but what's the competition level? Gotta know how much catching up to do since I became a lazy butt. =)

I'll be here for at least the next four years, so I'm real on the Meet&Greet stuff for around town and if any go to ND.

Any questions, just ask. =)

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Sun May 14, 2006 12:41 am

Welcome to IndyDDR! *insert witty fun stuff here*

What part of California are you from? I'm originally from the Bay Area myself.
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

the gattchoon
Standard
Standard

Post by the gattchoon » Sun May 14, 2006 1:00 am

"O RLY? YES RLY. NO WAI!"

That's about what's going to happen..

I'm from Antioch, and I'm sure if you're really from the Bay Area, you'll know that little place about "an hour" north of SF. My brother, Cynan (VP of DDR Freak) is still in the Bay Area, too.

Good stuff, and thanks! =)

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Sun May 14, 2006 1:12 am

Ah, ok. To be honest, I don't think I've ever been to Antioch...

I'm from the Castro Valley/Hayward area to be exact. I haven't actually lived out there since '98, but I'm usually out there to visit at least once or twice a year. In fact, I'll probably be going out there for a few weeks in July.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sun May 14, 2006 1:44 am

Welcome to Indy DDR.

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Sun May 14, 2006 2:58 am

Welcome to IndyDDR! Having never been to California myself, I can honestly say, "Ooh! Antioch! Another small town I've never heard of!"

...but, uh, welcome anyway. :D

Why does your avatar picture look creepily familiar? Do you use it on DDRFreak too, or am I just going [more] insane? :shock:

Welcome again (to IndyDDR, IN and ND). Good luck on that July tournament - this is the first I've heard about it, but I'm sure it will be publicized enough for lots of competition to find you by the time it rolls around. 8)

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sun May 14, 2006 10:59 am

Antioch...as in the place where the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch is from?!?! ARE YOU THE WIELDER OF THE SACRED PAW EXPLOSIVE?!?! Oh, and hey, is that you in your avy pic? Cuz if so...DAMN! (In a good way).

-Dan

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sun May 14, 2006 11:50 am

Welcome! I'm glad we got your registration all straightened out. Thanks for contacting me about it.

I just visited your MySpace page that you have linked in your profile and was greeted by BoA. It made me smile, and I sat on the page all the way to the end of the song. </fanboy>

I'd poke around more, but I'm a LiveJournal junkie. Though a little investigation turned up that you had one of those too, so I added you. :) </stalker>

As was already mentioned previously, this site is indeed older than this current iteration and has existed in one form or another (sometimes more than one at a time) since late 2000 when the first Indy-based DDR community site was created as a Yahoo! Club by the now absent but never forgotten Polly. This later became a Yahoo! Group when Yahoo! bought eGroups (I think that was it...it was a long time ago) and merged the two services together.

What came be known as IndyDDR was just a folder in my personal webspace where I started sharing pictures of the group of people who started showing up regularly to play DDR at our local GameWorks Studio. I registered the IndyDDR.com domain in May of 2001 and transferred that folder to its own host with a link back to the Yahoo! Group.

Other features started getting added to the site, and then to meet the needs of the growing community that needed more organized, threaded messaging, I started up a phpBB forum on the IndyDDR site in Septebmer of that year that ultimately replaced the old Yahoo! Group.

What Arka has dubbed "The Great Reset" occurred in November of 2004 in response to a trend that had devolved the site into a bunch of pointless bickering. It laid dormant until February of 2005 when this slimmed down version you see now was born.

A lot of the content had fallen into obscurity and disrepair. Only the most popular features returned--most notably this forum. The hope was that the cooling off period helped settle people down and several new features (including the post limits and ratings you've already noticed) were put in place in an effort to keep things a little more orderly.

At any rate, I hope you're enjoying your Indiana and IndyDDR experience and that you'll have the chance to be active within this community both online and in person.

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Sun May 14, 2006 11:06 pm

I feel inadequate posting after a brief history of time by Brian Ho :lol: . But welcome to IndyDDR! Enjoy the forums and enjoy ND! even though Purdue is like 100x better.
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

the gattchoon
Standard
Standard

Post by the gattchoon » Sun May 14, 2006 11:56 pm

Green Tea wrote:I feel inadequate posting after a brief history of time by Brian Ho :lol: . But welcome to IndyDDR! Enjoy the forums and enjoy ND! even though Purdue is like 100x better.
Haha! Oh well... I'm not into the whole college rivalry stuff. I didn't even go to any of the football games this past year. I know, I don't like football and ND is all about Fighting Irish spirit and football, right? Haha... oh well. I'm there for school and that's about it. =P

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Mon May 15, 2006 12:02 am

Welcome to the forums. Name's Katy.

Eh, I live in Bloomington, but I occasionally go to Carmel or Indy to play some didder and ITG. I'm only ok at it. Not stellar yet. But I'm in training.

the gattchoon
Standard
Standard

Post by the gattchoon » Mon May 15, 2006 12:10 am

blackcat24 wrote:Welcome to the forums. Name's Katy.

Eh, I live in Bloomington, but I occasionally go to Carmel or Indy to play some didder and ITG. I'm only ok at it. Not stellar yet. But I'm in training.
Thanks!

Hey, just as long as you have fun in the process. No biggie... I sucked at it when I started in '99, but it was fun because I did it with my big brother and some of his friends. What I learned from personal experience... being a girl [especially a "gamer" girl] in the arcade... you don't always have to be "stellar." Just be nice and have fun. If you get along easily with others, you'll get up there before you know it because the more friends you make, the less you'll feel uncomfortable and the more you'll have fun. And laugh about it all, even when you fail a song. Because I do that all the time. My brother and I used to make fun of each other when we failed. It's all good. =)

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Mon May 15, 2006 9:54 am

Yeah, I have my good days and bad days. Sometimes I get really angry when I fail songs that I know I can pass...other times I accept it. I'm not that bad at DDR considering I haven't done it as long as a lot of other people do. I can do a majority of the 8 footers, and atm I am working my way up the DDR -and- ITG 9 footers.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon May 15, 2006 3:42 pm

My big question:
"Do you freestyle?"

In general, freestyle has been all but stillborn in Indiana. Several people have tried it over the years, but few have done so with any seriousness and even fewer have stuck with it past one or two events.

I'm one of only a tiny handful of people that have freestyled with any sort of regularity or consistency. And I'm certainly no DJ 8-Ball. ;) We could definitely use a fresh face and new talent (even if it's just new to us) on the freestyle front...especially a girl. It's probably indicative of a problem when the most frequent girl freestyler in Indiana...is me. :oops:

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Mon May 15, 2006 4:01 pm

Yes, yes. Freestyling... Though I may not be terribly great at it, I've found myself doing quite a lot of freestyle on Pump lately (much to the disdain of my knees and pants).

Anyway, I'd have to agree with Ho that more interest in freestyle would be quite welcome.