question about ITG

Moderator: Moderators

Bionix
Standard
Standard

question about ITG

Post by Bionix » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:53 am

I have heard rumors that there is a way to get into the operations screen by playing a certian song then hitting a certian step patteren? Ture? False?
Warning incoming game!

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:19 am

While I can neither confirm nor deny that rumor, I will say that it is a very common rumor about all arcade games, not limited to music type games. Supposedly, one can get to the operator menu on 3rd VK2 DDR machines by SSSing Starian on S4R or something like that. I've never seen such a thing done in person, though I'm sure it's happened and my guess is that no operator menu results :) I've heard similar rumors with fighting games whereby you use certain moves to defeat certain enemies using a certain character or similar nonsense. I've never seen anything like this actually be true. I would say that you'd deserve it if you do something like 100% Pandemonium Expert though :)
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Grubb
Standard
Standard

Post by Grubb » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:46 am

MonMotha wrote:While I can neither confirm nor deny that rumor, I will say that it is a very common rumor about all arcade games, not limited to music type games. Supposedly, one can get to the operator menu on 3rd VK2 DDR machines by SSSing Starian on S4R or something like that. I've never seen such a thing done in person, though I'm sure it's happened and my guess is that no operator menu results :) I've heard similar rumors with fighting games whereby you use certain moves to defeat certain enemies using a certain character or similar nonsense. I've never seen anything like this actually be true. I would say that you'd deserve it if you do something like 100% Pandemonium Expert though :)
Last time I SSSed Starian on SSR mode at Laser Flash, no operator menu appeared =\

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:03 am

While it is not uncommon for there to be easter eggs and secrets buried within games by their programmers, it is unlikely that they would include any such secret that could result in the loss of money for the arcade operator. If word of this kind of thing got out (as secrets always seem to), I would expect the game company would get a lot of nasty phone calls from many very unhappy customers wanting answers as to why their machines spent the day on freeplay.

More likely this is an unsubstantiated rumor like so many others that float around about games. Unless someone can successfully replicate such a thing, if any player ever did access the operator menu during gameplay it was more likely a glitch than a secret.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:44 am

Ho wrote:I would expect the game company would get a lot of nasty phone calls from many very unhappy customers wanting answers as to why their machines spent the day on freeplay.
Well maybe if you'd take the key out of the front of the machine and put the default back on accepting coins, you wouldn't have that problem with your machine :)

Agreed, though. I can't see a game company pulling anything where you could get that kind of access. 'Secrets' like that are simply too easy to get access to when you've got a giant global network (I hear they have the Internet on computers now...). A smaller game house like Roxor would be more likely to include easter eggs at all than a larger one like Konami, but I can't see them including anything like that.

Of course, if you look at what people consider an "easter egg", then one could possibly consider OMES on DDR to be an easter egg. Or maybe the mod codes (including Another/Maniac on 1st or SSR on 3rd) on the older mixes since they weren't indicated anywhere within the game itself. Or how about Raw on Pump :)

These are the kind of things you're likely to see as easter eggs in an arcade, not secret access to the operator menu (especially on games that don't even have an operator menu - I've heard rumors about original Pac Man!).
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Bionix
Standard
Standard

Post by Bionix » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:55 pm

Thanks for the anser the original reason i posted this was because the ITG in mishawaka was either hacked into or a key was taken from the back area and was set for 5 songs/1 token. When the owner told me of this "Code" I to thought it was a bunch of malarkey. But he wanted me to try and flush out the person if they are on here. So if someone from up north responded with a yes or something simmilar i would say cheak this guy out. More likely a key was just stolen.
Warning incoming game!

BakaOrochi
Korean!
Korean!

Post by BakaOrochi » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:44 pm

Actually from what I heard, the entering operator menu thing was a glitch from early builds of ITG, which was obviously fixed later. You could also enter credits through some sort of glitch that was linked to the speaker lights, strangely enough.

Ahh, Stepmania..

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:47 pm

If you AAA max 300 heavy on extreme you can unlock reptile i swear.
insert code compile execute return

fpd
Standard
Standard

Post by fpd » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:09 pm

sam wrote:If you AAA max 300 heavy on extreme you can unlock reptile i swear.
How do I unlock Scorpion?
YAGUCHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pkmnx
Standard
Standard

Post by pkmnx » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:13 pm

I play exclusively at the Mishawaka ITG. The following is correct.

(just to quash any step pattern rumors)

It's a bug. We've had it happen a total of 6 or so times now...twice it happened while the machine was idling (we were just sitting there and it went into the menu), once or twice during song selection, and the rest in mid-song. Trust me, I was cut off from a full-Excellent combo about 2/3 of the way through ROMeo & Juli8 Expert by this. >_>

For once, I can honestly say that I reported it without doing anything the two times it happened to me. An employee told me that someone had put in 30+ credits on one occasion, but the 5/1 thing is news to me.

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:33 pm

if you get into the menu turn coin options off :twisted:
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:13 pm

Is the menu just like a stepmania menu?

pkmnx
Standard
Standard

Post by pkmnx » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:55 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Is the menu just like a stepmania menu?
Yes, with a few extra options for arcade machines.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:09 pm

Yes, this is a confirmed bug in some versions of ITG. For instance I believe the Brunswick Zone IRG machine in Chicago seemingly randomly goes into the operator menu every couple of games, so you can pretty much play for free there.

As for the secret code to access the operator menu thing, a few years ago I once personally somehow accessed the operator menu on Cruisin' World (or Cruisin' USA, I forgot) when I was randomly pushing pedals/buttons/turning the wheel. Despite my best efforts I was never able to do it again, but the fact remains that it did occur.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:20 am

LikeableRodent wrote:As for the secret code to access the operator menu thing, a few years ago I once personally somehow accessed the operator menu on Cruisin' World (or Cruisin' USA, I forgot) when I was randomly pushing pedals/buttons/turning the wheel. Despite my best efforts I was never able to do it again, but the fact remains that it did occur.
I would think something like that might be a simple malfunction. For instance, if the wire for the service button wasn't connected well or had some sort of a short. It's usually just a momentary switch, so if it were faulty I could see that a vibration of some sort might be able to trigger it.