The first 16 footer has been quaded

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: The first 16 footer has been quaded

Post by Merk » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:08 am

Yeah it's annoying but I've trained myself to just mouse3 links that I click on indyddr

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:51 am

The fact that I even read this thread is something of an oddity, but I'll go ahead and address this even though it's probably better suited for the Feedback forum...
Potter wrote:also, can we take a step back and ponder how fucking effing baller this site would be if we could embed youtubes? It would be so much easier, especially since this is the only fucking site I visit where links clicked open in the same tab, so when I habitually close the tab after watching the video, I get to open indyddr and find the thread I was in again. I know brian hates change on this forum and would absolutely never ever do this, even though in phpbb3 it takes literally 5 minutes and is flawless security wise, brian, Ill paypal you 50 dollars right now to allow youtube embeds. Id like, actually check the forum more often and stuff
I'll perhaps give some thought to YouTube embeds. Is it for YouTube only and not just Flash embeds (which we did have here in a previous incarnation of the forums)? My biggest concern with anything like this isn't so much security as it is page load times where you end up waiting for an external site to respond before the page can be completed.

As for the latter point, that actually bothers me, too. I've often accidentally closed a tab after visiting a link myself. I'm sure I could fix that in the templates, but is there an easier way (just some setting in phpBB3)?

You see, it's not that I fear or hate change... It's that change requires work and IndyDDR is pretty darn low in my priority thread for allocating any sort of effort. One of the reasons it still exists is that its current incarnation has been kept simple enough to pretty much run on autopilot and not require much, if any, intervention.

It was one thing when we were an active, vibrant, and growing community. I was delighted to throw hours and hours at the site for the visible benefits it provided the community. But now that we're down to maybe a dozen of us just shooting the shit over whatever (which I do still enjoy), I am not as motivated to spend much time providing what amounts to minor conveniences for a small number of people--even if one of those people is myself.

You're still welcome to make suggestions (though I invite you to do them in the Feedback forum where I'm more likely to actually see them). I will evaluate them and I'll probably at least tell you my reasoning as to why I will or will not do it. And, if I seem to be ignoring a suggestion, I may be taking Thumper's father's advice. ;)

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:56 pm

I know middle clicking a link in Firefox will open it in a new tab regardless of what the page says. Does that not work in Chrome, Opera, etc.?

(I'm guessing it doesn't work in IE, but who knows)
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:15 pm

Middle clicking works, I just don't have to do it on a single other site, so I'm trained to automatically click normally when I see a link. Sometiems I'll remember on here, but not often.

It only allows youtube embeds. Load times are next to nil as it only loads the iframe first or whatever, until you click play on a video. I had pages with tons of embeds and zero page load issues, I think on indyddr with one or two max videos for pages its a non-issue.

It's this easy - admin CP>posting tab>click "add a new bbcode" on the far right. Then put this in -

http://i.imgur.com/ZIKDl.png

That's [youtube]{SIMPLETEXT}[/youtube]

in first field.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/{SIMPLETEXT}" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

in second field. Check the show in post box. that's all you have to do. when a user puts text (the video id of a yt vid) between a youtube tag in a post, it hands it off to that preset embed code, so the poster can't actually use any real html or anything. Also, I use the SIMPLETEXT tag over any other as simpletext only allows you to enter letters and numbers and such, so you can't try to sneak anything in to get passed onto an html/php handler. Been using it on my forum for a couple years without issue
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:46 pm

Dude Potter just solved his own problem, copy/paste dat sumbitch

Fattoxthegreat
Light
Light

Post by Fattoxthegreat » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:07 pm

I'd like to see all the Mad Matt types even try to lay a hand on Valkyrie Dimension on Challenge. Simple 16th streams at high speeds can only be so impressive.
"When you're always pessimistic, you're always being pleasantly surprised."
-A wise and unknown man