The first 16 footer has been quaded

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The first 16 footer has been quaded

Post by Ho » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:41 pm

Amp Divorax wrote:
Ho wrote:Watching the video that started this thread actually makes me like ITG even a little less. It just seems boring to me--both the game and the play style.
Oh no, Dave101 will not be pleased with this and may try to assassinate you now.
I've voiced all of this before. This video just reminded me. I think he's already well acquainted with our wildly different opinions about ITG.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:01 pm

I agree about that song. It's a dumb gimmick to a meh track. It exists only to serve as a physical challenge. That's fine, but I'm not interested.

To be fair, it was never an ITG song. It was a chart created by some dude just like any other chart created by any other dude. In a world of user created content, you get turds and gems alike.

DWI Extreme is my gem.
http://www.dwiextreme.com/
(Sound plays when you click the link.)

All of this aside, if DDR content creators made a secret deal with ITG content creators and did some switching around prior to the game's release I bet $10,000 nobody would be able to call which songs were switched. ITG has plenty of songs rated 9 and under and DDR has songs rated (by old standards) 10 and higher.

People get so lost in the mine-no-mine tug of war in DDR/ITG. Don't be dance game racists.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:06 pm

style and a personality
"heart"
These are intangibles. How would you measure heart, style, and personality between two things in such a way that some moron can look at your comparison and go, "Yeah, this thing is better!" By what metric would you measure heart?

Check the Youtube, this is the sort of flowery language sports casters use when there's nothing to talk about or to explain some inexplicable upset that, on paper, looked incredibly improbable. You see Tim Tebow beat the Steelers because he has the grit, heart, and leadership.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:50 pm

Stepmania/ITG opened the opportunity for users to contribute to the game's progression beyond playstation memory card edits. I will argue to the grave that the playability of Dedicab pads is better than the Japanese DDR cabs and anything Betson has crapped up. That's going to be a preference thing.

I think it's possible to have really fun and difficult tracks that aren't just bullshit stream spam. Pandemonium Expert was a terribly boring 13 on ITG. Destiny and Energizer were both pretty fun for their difficulty. Summer was a very fun 13. I think ITG also has easier charts that are still fun (Bumblebee, The Game, Romeo and Juliet, etc.).

MaXx Unlimited and The Legend of Max were definitely fun songs even when their difficulty was relevant. I think Fascination MaXx is a terrible attempt from Konami to say, "Look, we can make hard songs too!" after the ITG lawsuit.

It just depends what you play a game for. Personally, since 5th mix dropped and I could consistently AA songs, I've played for scores. I know certain people like freestyle or just pure enjoyment of playing a song they like. Honestly, think back to when you played DDR 1st or USA. Did anyone honestly think something like what Mad Matt did in that video would be possible? Hell no. Afronova and Dead End were absolutely ridiculous. Progression is natural.

Also, omfglolwtfbbqnewbloods show Riot a little respect. He used to be a good player in Ft. Wayne's didder scene, spiky hair, cargo shorts and all.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:55 pm

^LOL it was Happy Feet in the video, not Mat Matt.

Mad Matt doesn't get quads, though he did do this recently:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3bzh7Ge1NE#t=4m35s

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:07 am

Do you think Matt Mad?
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:31 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:To be fair, it was never an ITG song. It was a chart created by some dude just like any other chart created by any other dude. In a world of user created content, you get turds and gems alike.
Fluffyumpkins wrote:All of this aside, if DDR content creators made a secret deal with ITG content creators and did some switching around prior to the game's release I bet $10,000 nobody would be able to call which songs were switched. ITG has plenty of songs rated 9 and under and DDR has songs rated (by old standards) 10 and higher.

People get so lost in the mine-no-mine tug of war in DDR/ITG. Don't be dance game racists.
I'm specifically talking about the elements of each game outside of the songs and charts. I know those aren't important to everyone, but they are very important to me. That's the same reason why cosmetics are a factor to me in cabinet condition while they are not a concern for DAVE101 (see other thread).

And frankly, DDR has plenty of turds when it comes to songs and charts, too. But there are a handful of DDR song/chart combinations I love whereas I have not found one yet in ITG (official content). However, I would be happy to have someone show me my new favorite chart on ITG (official or custom). But I will say that the occasions when I have played the DDR charts I love on ITG, I seemed to enjoy them less because of all the DDR elements that are missing from ITG.
Merk wrote:
style and a personality
"heart"
These are intangibles. How would you measure heart, style, and personality between two things in such a way that some moron can look at your comparison and go, "Yeah, this thing is better!" By what metric would you measure heart?
The things themselves are not intangible. For instance, DDR has characters while ITG does not. That's very tangible. However, I will grant you that their importance to me could be considered intangible.

And how would I measure it? Me personally? That's easy. One I like, the other I do not.

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:03 am

Brian allow flash tags so I can embed youtubs

Your new favorite ITG sim: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rfrXBCRrM8#t=20s

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:08 am

Black shirt was pretty cool. Green shirt needs to learn to balance.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:15 am

DAVE101 wrote:Brian allow flash tags so I can embed youtubs

Your new favorite ITG sim: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rfrXBCRrM8#t=20s
That is the most fun ITG has ever looked to me.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:30 am

That's because it wasn't an ITG song/chart. It was custom, and almost certainly made in Stepmania. It just happened to be played on an ITG cabinet. If Konami allowed for custom songs/charts, you'd see the exact same thing.

This is my whole argument about content. Giving players the ability to create songs/charts without limits allows for greater innovation and pushes gameplay to fun levels far beyond what Konami/roxor alone had to offer with their content. If you want to believe that creating good song/step combinations is some sort of art form, then removing limits is a minimum.

This is all moot though since people have already decided which games they like/dislike, and no amount of reasoning will change this.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:54 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:This is my whole argument about content. Giving players the ability to create songs/charts without limits allows for greater innovation and pushes gameplay to fun levels far beyond what Konami/roxor alone had to offer with their content.
I agree with you completely on this point. Ultimately, the songs/charts in DDR were created by people, too. And if we can get more good people making good songs and charts, that's great for players of any of these games.

However, I still prefer the overall experience of DDR to ITG for the aforementioned reasons. See my comment above about playing my favorite DDR charts in ITG.

But then again, I prefer PIU to either of those because I find the step patterns to be more enjoyable (mostly due to the motions necessary for the 5-panel layout vs. the 4-panel layout). The video that started this thread is a prime example of pretty much everything I don't enjoy about 4-panel: practically motionless, below waist pivoting. I really enjoy 5-panel turns that...well, turn you.

ohnoitschris
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ohnoitschris » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:59 am

i wanna see pretty much anything 12+ quadded on a machine with all of the innermost sensors removed

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:08 pm

... Why?

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:58 am

itt lol

also, can we take a step back and ponder how fucking effing baller this site would be if we could embed youtubes? It would be so much easier, especially since this is the only fucking site I visit where links clicked open in the same tab, so when I habitually close the tab after watching the video, I get to open indyddr and find the thread I was in again. I know brian hates change on this forum and would absolutely never ever do this, even though in phpbb3 it takes literally 5 minutes and is flawless security wise, brian, Ill paypal you 50 dollars right now to allow youtube embeds. Id like, actually check the forum more often and stuff
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy