The next casualty in the worst month of Bemani history!

Moderator: Moderators

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

The next casualty in the worst month of Bemani history!

Post by Amp Divorax » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:00 pm

Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The next casualty in the worst month of Bemani history!

Post by Ho » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:32 am

I object to your categorization of this news as Bemani. Rhythm game, ok. Bemani, no.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:07 pm

Ho wrote:I object to your categorization of this news as Bemani. Rhythm game, ok. Bemani, no.
Bettermani.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:29 pm

SoDeepPolaris wrote:
Ho wrote:I object to your categorization of this news as Bemani. Rhythm game, ok. Bemani, no.
Bettermani.
Stepmaniani.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:30 pm

SoDeepPolaris wrote:
Bettermani.
I strongly object to that in its entirety!

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:47 pm

ROTFLOL!

Ho, I know you won't agree with my logic, but since Konami considers Rock Revolution and Karaoke Revolution to be Bemani, the fact that they own the In The Groove series gives me enough reason to classify it as Bemani as well.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:59 pm

Rock Revolution and Karaoke Revolution are Konami published games. Karaoke Revolution at least actually does bear the name "BEMANI" and the Bemani logo. I'm not sure if Rock Revolution is officially marketed as "BEMANI" or not. The logo isn't on the front of the keepcase, and I can't find it on any pictures of boxes, but they do claim ownership of the trademark on the website for it.

ITG just happens to be owned by Konami at this point. Konami has never themselves published anything under that name, and it has NEVER been titled "BEMANI" or borne the Bemani logo.

PIU Pro is clearly not "BEMANI". It's a Roxor creation with stuff published under license from Andamiro. That's pretty much as "not BEMANI" as you can get while still being a music/rhythm game.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:06 am

While it was never released by Konami directly, it can be considered to be Bemani as Konami has always grouped their music games under that umbrella.

Also did I ever mention PIU Pro? No. So I have to ask why that was even brought up?
Memorable 2016 quotes:

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:45 am

SEMANTICS

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:01 am

I have to agree that just because Konami owns the rights to ITG, that doesn't make it bemani. It's like saying that while Ford owned stock in Mazda, the Mazdas sold on their lots were now magically Fords. They didn't make them. They nearly owned the right to sell them. Therefore, they were most definitely not Fords.
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:04 am

LikeableRodent wrote:SEMANTICS
Let's argue them some more! :)

Regardless of the status of In the Groove, Groovestats is not affiliated with Konami in any way other than its subject matter covering games that may or may not be classified as Bemani (and I would still argue are not). IndyDDR is (allegedly) about DDR, but I'm sure Konami would object to me flying the Bemani flag on the homepage.
Amp Divorax wrote:Also did I ever mention PIU Pro? No. So I have to ask why that was even brought up?
According to the link you provided, Groovestats also covers PIU Pro. I believe that's where the connection was drawn.
Amp Divorax wrote:While it was never released by Konami directly, it can be considered to be Bemani as Konami has always grouped their music games under that umbrella.
Martial Beat was not a Bemani game. It actually fell under the (now defunct? ... at least I haven't heard of it again--though I haven't been paying attention either) Konami Sports. (And thank goodness for that or it would be the one Bemani game that I didn't like and felt absolutely absurd while playing.)

Poking around on Konami's site, ParaParaParadise and Dance 86.4 don't seem to be categorized as Bemani either. I've never actually seen or played Dance 86.4, so I can't really comment. As for ParaPara, I do know that the Bemani logo at least appears on the PS2 game. I don't recall if it does on any of the arcade machines. So I'm not sure what is up with that game.

While I rarely care about polling rates, desynch, inclusion/exclusion of music, and other granular details about these games that you complain about, I'll be happy to discuss/argue the branding, marketing, trademarking and other mind-numbing trivial facts like these about these games. ;)

(BTW, that's not intended as hostility. I'm just pointing out that the things you get really worked up over often don't matter much to me but this particular bit of minutiae is the kind of thing that I personally get into.)

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:14 pm

http://www.konami.jp/am/mbeat/

Never heard of this... I just watched some videos on Youtube... but I still don't get it. How does one play?

I like the RnP hyper k mix though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXU6oZ8Y ... re=related

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:52 pm

The arcade version was a DDR cabinet without the stage. In its place they had a sensor frame similar to the ones they used on Mocap Boxing and Police 911. With the sensors the game could detect the motion of your body as well as punches and kicks. I believe the home version had wrist and ankle bands that you put on that could detect your motion.

The gameplay, from my very brief experience, was basically doing Tae Bo-like moves in time with music. I guess if you can imagine playing the Chop Chop Master Onion level of Parappa the Rapper by actually performing the moves that he instructs...it would be kind of like that.

"Kick, Punch, it's all in the mind..."

I was good with it being in my mind. I didn't care for actually kicking and punching rhythms in a game.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:58 pm

Bubble Bobble is my favorite Bemani game.

: )

Do you guys bubbling bobbles?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:58 pm

Riot wrote:Bubble Bobble is my favorite Bemani game.

: )

Do you guys bubbling bobbles?
ImageImage