Suggest-me-a-flashdrive

Moderator: Moderators

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Suggest-me-a-flashdrive

Post by Cbav » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:44 am

my "LG usb drive" isn't compatible with the ITG2 machine... so is there like a cheap Wal-Mart version flash that anyone uses that doesn't cost too much that's compatible. =[
Can get ahold of me @spookyxcraig

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:04 pm

I picked a good time to answer this thread, because I have about 5 electronic store sale ads on my desk right now. I make NO GUARANTEE these are compatible, but may be great deals.

These sale ads are for the October 22 issue of the Indianapolis Star:

OfficeMax:
-$20: SanDisk Cruzer Micro 1GB USB Flash Drive

Staples:
-$15 and $25: Sony USB 2.0 Micro Vault in 512 MB and 1GB. (Note: both have mail-in rebates)

Best Buy:
-$25: SanDisk 1GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive, 4GB for $100

Office Depot:
-$15: Ativa Thumb Drive, 512MB
-$25: Ativa Thumb Trive, 1GB

H.H. Gregg:
-No Flash Drives
-$2999, 50-inch Samsung Plasma Screen HDTV.

Aren't I the generous one?
ShammerS wrote:Nice cookies, Jeff.
BigBadOrc wrote:boop
Fun fact: only 3 posts at IndyDDR.com contain the word "boop."

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:07 pm

Jeff Jeff Revolution wrote:Best Buy:
-$25: SanDisk 1GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
I would suggest this one....SanDisk seems to work really well on ITG2 machines...that is what I have and use for ITG2

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:06 pm

sweet action. even though it almost took a month for a reply. =P

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:52 pm

Alright, I'm getting pissed cause I don't have time to hit up Best Buy to grab a flashdrive. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my flash, like it has an option set that isn't compatible with the ITG2 machines? I've already checked out InTheGroove.com's troubleshooting guide to flashdrives on their machines. Yes, it's set to FAT.

couple questions...
Does the version (R16, R21) of the machine determine what USB's work and what don't?

If I have files already on my flash (games / cd's), will that hinder my flash from working?

Does it matter when I plug in my flash that it will work? Say I plug it in while selecting a song, or before I insert tokens.

TaQa
Standard
Standard

Post by TaQa » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:06 pm

Cbav wrote:Alright, I'm getting pissed cause I don't have time to hit up Best Buy to grab a flashdrive. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my flash, like it has an option set that isn't compatible with the ITG2 machines? I've already checked out InTheGroove.com's troubleshooting guide to flashdrives on their machines. Yes, it's set to FAT.

couple questions...
Does the version (R16, R21) of the machine determine what USB's work and what don't?

If I have files already on my flash (games / cd's), will that hinder my flash from working?

Does it matter when I plug in my flash that it will work? Say I plug it in while selecting a song, or before I insert tokens.
The first USB flash drive I bought was an Attachè 2 (I forget the brand name), but it, at the time, happened to be the only flash drive not compatible with ITG. So if thats the one you have, there's your problem.

No, the version doesn't matter. I dunno what That Fun Place runs, but it certainly isn't R21 or R16 (you can check to see what version it is by putting in your coins to play, then on the "In The Groove 2" main screen, somewhere on the bottom it tells you what revision the machine is running). I DO think you should look into getting your boss to get the R21 upgrade (It is FREE (if you send in the HD, so the game would be out of commission), and if you don't want to put the game out, I think its something like 30 dollars).

Other files should NOT stop your USB drive to not work.

You need to put in your USB drive before you choose your first song for it to log anything for you. It'll have this little USB icon dealie on the side you put in with ???? next to it until it reads it.

Edit: It's even easier than I thought o upgrade

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:30 pm

Ok. Tomorrow at work I'll check the version, and attempt to upgrade to R21, that is if my flash will work for me.

UnLiMiTeDmAxX
Standard
Standard

Post by UnLiMiTeDmAxX » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:07 am

I had THIS USB and it worked fine, but when I recently bought THIS flash drive it didnt work. Both are Sandisk so I figured it would work but it didnt work on our machine. I have yet to test the 1GB on another machine. Perhaps it's just our machine, but just do not buy that second one.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:56 am

weird. my flash is a 1GB and it doesn't seem to work either. =[

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:11 am

Anything that is "U3" (like the second one UnlimitedMaxx mentioned) usually won't work as they require special drivers to be loaded that only exist for Windows (and maybe MacOS X). Figure anything that works out of the box on a Linux 2.4 system (in other words, anything that is fully USB Mass Storage platform compliant and doesn't require runtime firmware downloads) will work. Quite possibly, the easiest thing to do is look at some of the giant Linux hardware compatibility lists.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:52 pm

lgolem wrote:
Jeff Jeff Revolution wrote:Best Buy:
-$25: SanDisk 1GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
I would suggest this one....SanDisk seems to work really well on ITG2 machines...that is what I have and use for ITG2
I'm going to Best Buy after school tomorrow to pick up a new flashdrive. My 1GB LG Flash doesn't work. I tried it today at work and it would say something like, 'High power USB not compatible' or some junk like that.

lgolem why I question you is, I'm wondering if the ITG2 machine has problems with larger file-storage units. My flash is 1GB and doesn't work. I'm wondering if the Sandisc 1GB flash won't work either. I mainly need something large enough to hold many screenshots, and the R21 update for my machine.

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:49 pm

sorry double post-

I have a question about the information on the flash... it has a "Songs" folder on it, what can I do with that?

TaQa
Standard
Standard

Post by TaQa » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:08 am

Cbav wrote:sorry double post-

I have a question about the information on the flash... it has a "Songs" folder on it, what can I do with that?
You can play custom songs, any song under 2 minutes (theres a way to get around that, but I don't feel like explaining it). You just need the song file in .ogg format and the stepfile in .sm format, no backgrounds or banners.

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:59 pm

TaQa wrote: You can play custom songs, any song under 2 minutes (theres a way to get around that, but I don't feel like explaining it). You just need the song file in .ogg format and the stepfile in .sm format, no backgrounds or banners.
Oh sweet jesus I'd love to have a link to a faq for that. I wanted to add Listen to Your Heart, but it's 3 seconds too long. =[
-in the middle of making a step chart for 'Winter'.. yum

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:51 pm

Cbav wrote:
TaQa wrote: You can play custom songs, any song under 2 minutes (theres a way to get around that, but I don't feel like explaining it). You just need the song file in .ogg format and the stepfile in .sm format, no backgrounds or banners.
Oh sweet jesus I'd love to have a link to a faq for that.
http://www.bemanistyle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8315

If you'd rather not read through the whole thing, http://www.bemanistyle.com/forum/showpo ... ostcount=6 is the applicable post.

Don't be evil - i.e., don't use it to vastly abuse the length limitations, since that's not very fair to the arcade owner OR the person waiting in line after you. It sounds like it's fine for what you wanted, though.