I downloaded the file he put up, but have NO idea how it's worked. =[

tutorialplzkthx >_<
Can get ahold of me @spookyxcraig

TaQa
Standard
Standard

Post by TaQa » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:28 pm

Its pretty simple, but SOUNDS like it shouldn't work:

Put the file somewhere (desktop is pretty easy)

Drag .ogg file on top of the downloaded file's icon

Enjoy

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:37 pm

So I guess there is a 5 mb limit, but OGG files tend to run very small. I wonder how long a song you could pull off.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:51 pm

OGG Vorbis, like MP3, can use different bitrates in a quality vs. size tradeoff as it is a lossy compression algorithm. Figure a 96kbit/sec ABR Vorbis is about the same as a 160kbit/sec CBR MP3 in terms of perceptible "quality" for most of the kind of music you'll be putting on ITG (actual performances of many classical pieces and some drum heavy stuff will suffer a bit at that bitrate). Vorbis is comparable to MPEG4 AAC (iTMS uses this) or the recent WMA codecs at medium-low bitrates, is generally better at very low bitrates (for music, not speech), and tends to lose to AAC at very high bitrates (which are generally transparent to most listeners anyway) while remaining comparable to WMA.

Vorbis can be pushed down to 64kbit/sec at 44.1/48kHz without becoming objectionable. I run the audio for the movies I encode for IndyDDR at 28-30kbit/sec, but they are downsampled to 22.05kHz and are just starting to artifact to the point of becoming noticable for even completely casual listening.

When you encode the Vorbis file, you should be able to specify either the average bitrate or the "quality". I believe q=3 is 128kbit/sec for 44.1/48k audio using the current incarnation of the reference encoder, but I could be mistaken. If you actually want to specify a bitrate, the reference encoder will let you do so, going so far as to force CBR if you really want to (and you don't).

What that program does, btw, is just alter the header so that it says the file is shorter than it is in terms of time. Since it's impossible to know the duration of the song based solely on the file size for VBR files, ITG then starts streaming the file and doesn't end the song until there's no more data left. HAX!

Oh, and to answer the question, at 64kbit/sec, about a 10.5 minute song would still fit in 5MiB.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:32 pm

lol flash drives...

Right now i'm using a 2 GB Memorex and it works great.

I've had two Sandisk Cruzers with U3 that I fixed and then used on ITG. However, they both up and died on me after only a few months of use. So now I stay away from Sandisk entirely.

You can get around the U3 problem. Extremely annoying to have this kind of software preinstalled on a flash drive. It basically means that your flash drive is formatted differently. I think 5MB is CDFS formatted, and the rest is a normal flash drive. That means when you insert your flash drive into something, it tries to autoplay just like a CD. I'm guessing this makes it not work with ITG because after uninstalling U3 I got it to work: http://www.u3.com/support/#CQ3
groovestats
<3 blackcat

Flound3r
Standard
Standard

Post by Flound3r » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:45 am

Sandisk Mini Cruzer.
d0nt t4lk l1k3 th15 pl0x