Why is PIU so cheap to buy?

Moderator: Moderators

JP_Sasuke17
Standard
Standard

Why is PIU so cheap to buy?

Post by JP_Sasuke17 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:40 pm

At Circle Center today it was only 25 for the game and a mat, but beat mania was like 50 or 60 and ddr cost between 30-45?
I just love the way Dancing on Arrows make me feel, especially when I pass out from this song....

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:51 pm

It's cheap because, unfortunately, hardly anyone wants it. Same reason the Beatmania bundle is $30 at Target.
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:00 am

dude i want that.

I hope EB Games has a bundle. PIU for meeee
Can get ahold of me @spookyxcraig

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:28 am

WhiteDragon wrote:It's cheap because, unfortunately, hardly anyone wants it.
American sales of Pump it Up in the US were TERRIBLE, I am pretty sure andimiro lost ALOT in that move.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:12 am

Maybe if they'd, you know, told people that it existed? Marketing...it's a good thing (for the people selling stuff). This is probably one of the big reasons why BMUS flopped, too. When the Exceed SE bundle came out, it was around $50-60, depending on where you went.

Incidentally, if somebody wants a bundle and can't find it, let me know. I've got the PS2 version with Mastiff pad.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:39 pm

A lot of people only get into games if they already know the songs (Guitar Hero). DDR made an attempt at adding some popular tracks to CS versions but as far as I know, pump is mostly Pop, K-Pop, and Banya.

Pump sells to fans of the game, but doesn't offer much to people who "want to play DDR".

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:55 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:A lot of people only get into games if they already know the songs (Guitar Hero). DDR made an attempt at adding some popular tracks to CS versions but as far as I know, pump is mostly Pop, K-Pop, and Banya.

Pump sells to fans of the game, but doesn't offer much to people who "want to play DDR".
Exceed SE actually had 6 tracks that were exclusive to North America. Some of them were fairly well known licenses like Name of the Game. Guitar Hero has the advantage of being created specifically for the North American market, and as such ALL of the licenses are North American. Doing that on a game like Pump it Up would be hard simply because it would eliminate a large number of the licenses they have already (which are mostly K-Pop).

That's not to say you wouldn't recognize many of the songs that are on there other than the SE exclusives. Conga, in the Pop channel, is fairly well known in the USA. Shake It Up and Born to be Alive, while not particularly contemporary, are also well known in North America (I hear them on "retro" radio stations all the time). Then of course there's the whole slew of classical remixes in the Banya channel.

Sure, there's still lots of K-Pop on there most people have never heard of, but it's not like DDR isn't full of J-Pop licenses nobody has ever heard of around these parts...

The reason Exceed SE failed is primarily a complete lack of marketing. It was utterly unadvertised. The only advertising it got was a few mentions in ad flyers, with no description of the game. I'd argue that its songlist is more North American friendly than the older US CS releases of DDR (up through about Extreme 2).

Of course, the fact that DDR dominates the United States didn't help it either.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:36 pm

Hmm, I didn't know they added liscenced songs for the home version. Then I stand by my theory that people who are not dancing game fanatics see DDR as a type of game rather than a game itself.

In the same way that someone might call any kind of electronic music 'techno', they would accidently limit themselves to that particular flavor instead of other types. If you go to Amazon and look for techno, you'll be cutting yourself off from a lot of house, trance, and Potter's weird idm-break-dance-speed-core.

Same thing applies to DDR. People call any sort of dancing game Dance Dance Revolution. When you go to the store and ask if they have DDR, the clerk won't likely show you the latest PIU. I'm sure I'm not the only one here that has heard Pump referred to as ' a DDR with 5 buttons.'

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:49 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:'a DDR with 5 buttons.'
I think that is why in general Pump it Up is not as popular as ddr because most see it as a knockoff of DDR so they saw it think...its DDR...no...it has 5 buttons what a crappy knockoff.

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:23 pm

lgolem wrote:
I think that is why in general Pump it Up is not as popular as ddr because most see it as a knockoff of DDR so they saw it think...its DDR...no...it has 5 buttons what a crappy knockoff.
exactly
Team KIMO represent!

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:24 pm

I cannot tell you how many times I have used that exact phrase to describe PIU.
ShammerS wrote:Nice cookies, Jeff.
BigBadOrc wrote:boop
Fun fact: only 3 posts at IndyDDR.com contain the word "boop."

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:42 pm

Jeff Jeff Revolution wrote:
I cannot tell you how many times I have used that exact phrase to describe PIU.
I'd always just say, "It's for fags"

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:20 am

lgolem wrote:
It's funny though, because DDR & PIU were both developed around the same time, indepently. If anything's a knockoff, it's ITG, which does DDR...better...than DDR.

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:45 pm

Cbav wrote:I'd always just say, "It's for fags"
Wow jeeze. Mixed ratings. I didn't intend that to make people upset.

That's what I used to say about the game. That was when I felt that PIU was a cheap rip-off of the DDR series.
I totally respect the series now, and I'm looking forward to getting into it.

Better? :P

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:46 pm

Actually, i think piu is picking up in arcades... its just that no one knows about it as a home game

as far as licenced us songs, piu did a much better job than ddr has ever done in all of its 5 ps2 games (although i dont know much about SN)
You will be baked
Jeff wrote:Try playing in your room where your father enters to see you making crotch gestures with your hands.