Why is PIU so cheap to buy?

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
lgolem
Heavy
Heavy
Posts: 2888
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:45 am
Location: Bloomington

Post by lgolem » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:26 pm

Pheonixguy wrote:as far as licenced us songs
Not only with those 5 song on the home version but NX has used Underground Chicago Hip Hop for some of the new songs...they are trying and I think they are doing a good job at it....besides those Korean songs sound a lot better to me than this american shit I hear.

User avatar
Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy
Posts: 1044
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:53 pm
Location: Apeture Science
Contact:

Post by Pheonixguy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:36 pm

lgolem wrote:
Pheonixguy wrote:as far as licenced us songs
Not only with those 5 song on the home version but NX has used Underground Chicago Hip Hop for some of the new songs...they are trying and I think they are doing a good job at it....besides those Korean songs sound a lot better to me than this american shit I hear.
Those 5 songs are better than the X number of songs on ddr, they are (for the most part) good songs and are moderatly challenging... :)

This is one thing that piu DEFINATELY has over ddr
You will be baked
Jeff wrote:Try playing in your room where your father enters to see you making crotch gestures with your hands.

User avatar
lgolem
Heavy
Heavy
Posts: 2888
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:45 am
Location: Bloomington

Post by lgolem » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:40 pm

Pheonixguy wrote:
lgolem wrote:
Pheonixguy wrote:as far as licenced us songs
Not only with those 5 song on the home version but NX has used Underground Chicago Hip Hop for some of the new songs...they are trying and I think they are doing a good job at it....besides those Korean songs sound a lot better to me than this american shit I hear.
Those 5 songs are better than the X number of songs on ddr, they are (for the most part) good songs and are moderatly challenging... :)

This is one thing that piu DEFINATELY has over ddr
Walkie Talkie Man FTW ^_^

User avatar
lgolem
Heavy
Heavy
Posts: 2888
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:45 am
Location: Bloomington

Post by lgolem » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:46 pm

Double post:

Or better yet from the days of Exceed 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74IxmjyEXR8

LET THE SUNSHINE IN

User avatar
Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy
Posts: 1044
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:53 pm
Location: Apeture Science
Contact:

Post by Pheonixguy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:32 pm

or everyones favorite bga, the booby song!
You will be baked
Jeff wrote:Try playing in your room where your father enters to see you making crotch gestures with your hands.

User avatar
Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy
Posts: 1044
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:53 pm
Location: Apeture Science
Contact:

Post by Pheonixguy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:34 pm

DOUBLE POST!

The booby song (and bambole) are probably other reasons it didnt sell well, what parent is going to buy a game with sexual references for their little kid? (you dont need to answer that :roll: )
You will be baked
Jeff wrote:Try playing in your room where your father enters to see you making crotch gestures with your hands.

User avatar
MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey
Posts: 2494
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:18 pm

Post by MonMotha » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:41 pm

Pheonixguy wrote:DOUBLE POST!

The booby song (and bambole) are probably other reasons it didnt sell well, what parent is going to buy a game with sexual references for their little kid? (you dont need to answer that :roll: )
The same parents who buy their little kids Grand Theft Auto, which seems rather popular amongst the 12-18 crowd. Music/Dance games aren't particularly popular with kids younger than 12 to begin with.

IIRC, PIU Exceed SE was rated E, or possibly T - certainly not M or AO. Either they skipped over booby looby ra, or didn't find extremely low res animated images of a girl wearing skimpy clothes to be objectionable (which, if you ask me, is probably a reasonable call).

No, the reason it didn't sell well is simply because nobody knew about it to begin with.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

User avatar
Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy
Posts: 1044
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:53 pm
Location: Apeture Science
Contact:

Post by Pheonixguy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:43 pm

Actually, every little kid i know loves it...

and it is rated T, which probably didnt help matters
You will be baked
Jeff wrote:Try playing in your room where your father enters to see you making crotch gestures with your hands.

User avatar
MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey
Posts: 2494
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:18 pm

Post by MonMotha » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:54 pm

I HIGHLY doubt the fact that it had a Teen rating made ANY significant difference in the sales of the product. The ONLY people who knew about it were non-casual Pump it Up players. The fact that it inevitibly got put on a nice high shelf made it likely that any impulse buyers would be well into their "teen" years anyway.

I think you also VASTLY underestimate your average parent's ability to read video game ratings. The fact that people went absolutely bonkers over the "Hot Coffee" *MOD* to GTA, which is already rated M, illustrates this. Most parents simpy buy either buy Johnny whatever video game he asks for, or they don't buy him video games at all. If it's the former, who cares about the rating. In the latter case, anybody with enough disposable income to buy the PIU box set at the original price ($50-60) would have been very likely to meet the age "requirement" (which is generally unenforced by retailers for anything other than M/AO anyway).

The game simply had absoultely zero marketing in an area where the player community is rather niche to begin with. DDR can get by with little marketing because there's tons of word-of-mouth advertising going on. Pump can't get by with that. It's also the most likely reason for BMUS failing as badly as it did.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Post Reply