Pump it Up coming to PS2 and Xbox

Moderator: Moderators

xK1
Standard
Standard

Pump it Up coming to PS2 and Xbox

Post by xK1 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:28 am

From 1up.com: Mastiff Announces Pump it Up
Mastiff, publishers of such titles as Gungrave OD and La Pucelle Tactics, has announced that it plans to bring arcade dancing game Pump it Up: Exceed for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox.
The popular arcade dancing game, created by Korean amusement manufacturer Andamiro, has similar gameplay mechanics to Konami's Dance Dance Revolution -- albeit a rather different layout for the pad, which Mastiff's "Head Woof" Bill Swartz maintains provides more realistic, dance-like moves than Konami's game. "Other dancing games are about watching the screen and stomping in the right spot, which is great if you didn't get enough whack-a-mole as a kid. Pump It Up gets you dancing like you're in a club."

The home version of Pump it Up: Exceed will feature both licensed western music, Korean pop music, and original arcade compositions. The home version will also feature a variety of new modes not found in the coin-operated original. No release date for the home version has yet been set.
Interesting to see that they think there is enough of a market in America to bring it over here. How long do you think it'll be before we see a RedOctane PIU pad? :P

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:39 am

RedOctane has been selling PC-based PIU for a long time now. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't go after the console market for this game. If you're talking RedOctane-branded PIU gear...that wouldn't surprise me either. I'm not really convinced they manufacture their merchandise anyway since so many nearly identical knockoffs of it are sold under various other brand names. Of course I would also point out that many of the knockoffs have a tendency to be of lower quality.

xK1
Standard
Standard

Post by xK1 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:48 am

I was really tired when I looked at the RedOctane site and somehow missed the section reading "Pump It Up". Whoops. :oops:

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:20 pm

ooooooooooooooooooooold news. This was on DDRFreak a LONG time ago :o the PS2 version is asian release only blablabla 100+ songs.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:10 pm

It's not that old of news, and the North American release was reported on DDR Freak February 11.

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:01 pm

Ho wrote:It's not that old of news, and the North American release was reported on DDR Freak February 11.
ok that 1 i didnt know about :) you got me this time ho.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:14 pm

I would never dance like that in a club.

Secef
Standard
Standard

Post by Secef » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:20 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:I would never dance like that in a club.
Word.

In no-way-related news, Rapper's Delight is a licensed song at least on the PS2 version. That should be pretty interesting if Andamiro USA (or Mastiff) can manage to generate fun steps for it.

Hoody2006
Standard
Standard

Post by Hoody2006 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:10 pm

thats great its just anohter way to work on your craft of dancing
if it doesnt matter who wins or loses then why do they keep score
-Vince Lombardi-

GaKki
Standard
Standard

Post by GaKki » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:38 pm

I am actually anticipating this one. I like PIU.

mexican ninja
Heavy
Heavy

Post by mexican ninja » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:44 pm

SWEET!

This is now the only reason I'm keeping my Fluxes.

Tounge73
Light
Light

Post by Tounge73 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:47 pm

at all Official Tournys in the US , Mastiff will have the ps2 version for play . the next one is in Charlotte NC on Sept. 24. i hope some of yall can make it

BakaOrochi
Korean!
Korean!

Post by BakaOrochi » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:32 am

FYI

Check Bemanistyle's headlines (unless it was changed already), the songlist is already up.

CANON-D, WE DON'T STOP.

And it has 101+ songs.

End of story.

I'm sold.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:29 pm

It was relesed today!

A friend of mine got it this evening and we played a few rounds at his house. I only gave it a pretty quick look, but it seemed like most of the songs that those of use who have been playing on the Exceed 2 at X-Site are there. I'm not sure specifically which ones might be missing, but scrolling through the song lists looked pretty familiar overall. However, several were locked. They display in the list, but in grayscale with a big lock icon over them. I assume they'll unlock with gameplay. We were able to unlock a couple just in the half hour or so we played.

There were also about half a dozen US exclusive songs in the mix. I played a couple and enjoyed them. The step patterns were fun and interesting. They didn't feel half-assed.

The included pad isn't too bad. It's not thick or cushiony like an Ignition (not that I was expecting it to be), but it laid flat and responded quite well. I didn't have any trouble with it. The design on it is kinda ugly though. There's just a lot going on and it feels kind of overdone in my opinion.

Overall, I liked it and I imagine I'll get one of my own before too long. I'll be interested to hear what other peoples' opinions are.