Spare Parts

Moderator: Moderators

FLAKK
Heavy
Heavy

Spare Parts

Post by FLAKK » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:44 pm

I am currently doing a StepMania project with my Pump machine and need to find a place that can sell me the quick-connectors to the ends of the umbilical cable. A cheap umbilical cable would work too because I could just rewire it all to a 25 pin D-Sub connector. I need two 3x5 pin and two 2x3 pin male connectors. Radio Shack has only the 2x3 pin and Fry's seems to not have either of the connectors needed.

Does anyone have any ideas where to go?
Yea, I'm like Mother Teresa, except I pwn.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:47 pm

I've looked and I cannot for the life of me figure out who makes those damned connectors. They don't appear to be made by any of the mainstay American manufacturers of connectors (Molex, Tyco/AMP, Hirose). You're definately not going to be finding them at Radio Shack (they only sell the ancient 0.93" Molex series). I'm not sure about Fry's, but I'm guessing they'll be lacking as well. They're probably made by some Korean company; everything else in there is.

I'm guessing that you won't be able to easily hook them up to a PC, anyway, since there are IO boards in those stages that probably need initlized, similar to DDR's. I guess you could try...
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

FLAKK
Heavy
Heavy

Post by FLAKK » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:26 pm

Looking at the wiring diagram, I can see the control box but I can't really tell where it's at in relation to the pads. If the I/O board is in the stage itself, that may be a problem. However, if it is inside the cabinet, it may not. I plan on wiring the stages up to Xbox controllers (using them for their control chips) and plugging them into my laptop using USB. If all goes well, Windows should see the pads as generic game controllers and Stepmania will be playable on the machine. I don't care to get the lights to work (although it'd be nice if they did).

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:13 pm

The IO boards are under the 8 position on the stages. I have no clue what functions they perform. On DDR, they combine the 4 sensors onto the one wire that goes to JAMMA while allowing the machine to poll each sensor individually for test mode. It also handles the lights on DDR.

There's no real reason to go hacking XBox controllers. There's plenty of devices out there that will make raw logic levels show up as USB HID devices. Ultimarc makes a series of them, and I've certainly been known to throw together similar things using the dev boards I have laying around (I think every USB dev board I own has at one point been a keyboard or mouse).
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

FLAKK
Heavy
Heavy

Post by FLAKK » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:49 pm

Update: We've narrowed it down to the essential wires needed to get the pads to work with our USB controller. We decided to try using the Xbox controller first, because its..um..free. Hopefully we will have a Stepmania cabinet tonight (at least one pad)! :D