new to pump

Moderator: Moderators

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

new to pump

Post by Pheonixguy » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:06 pm

i tryed play pump it up recently, and i found that its hard to do after playing ddr for awhile, is there really anything (other then playing it alot) that could help me get used to it?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:25 pm

Nope.

FLAKK
Heavy
Heavy

Post by FLAKK » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:09 pm

Just think red arrow = step forward and blue arrow = step backward

I don't know if this helps you, but it definitely helped me when I first started playing (mostly when starting doubles).
Yea, I'm like Mother Teresa, except I pwn.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:05 pm

well I would give you my addvice but I am still technically a newby to it as well....but from my friend who started on DDR and went to Pump she said don't act like you are awesome at pump play as though you had no prior experience, so start off with ones then gradually move your way up just like a newb all together...you will move up faster than I did, but still you need to start from the begining.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:11 am

That's good advice. Treat it like a new game. Just because you can pass 6s and 7s (for example) in DDR doesn't mean you should start there in PIU. There are plenty of skills that transfer between the two games, but there are many differences as well. Start at the beginning and work your way up just like DDR.

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:25 pm

thanks, where are there machines closest to lafayette?

DJ Br3ezeway
Standard
Standard

Post by DJ Br3ezeway » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:34 pm

I've only played PIU at the arcade once and I was just wondering something....If there is any one who is really good at PIU and DDR, how would you compare the hardest song in PIU to "PARANOiA survivor MAX" (oni)?

Harleigh RVNG
Standard
Standard

Post by Harleigh RVNG » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:14 pm

ok.... Paranoia Survivor MAX..... the hardest song in PIU, completely blows it outa the water!!!!!!! Thats all i should need to say...
I press UR, UL, DL, DR, UR.... it's a spin...

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:43 pm

DJ Br3ezeway wrote:I've only played PIU at the arcade once and I was just wondering something....If there is any one who is really good at PIU and DDR, how would you compare the hardest song in PIU to "PARANOiA survivor MAX" (oni)?
Hardest song on Pump Zero is probably LIADZ2. It's say it makes PSMO look fairly straightforward and downright SLOW. Same with Witch Doctor, Dignity, and Cannon-D. PSMO has some oddball turns (that border on not making sense at all) that make it tough, but so does LIADZ2, and Dignity has the M run of doom (aka "the snake") as well as a bunch of hands (that are way to fast to actually use hands on, so you just have to try to jump them). I'd say even Moonlight blows LOM and PSMH out of the water, probably PSMO, too.

The hard stuff on Pump definately seems to go for speed, though, at least by rating. There are a few songs on DDR that are as technically challenging as even difficult pump songs (Maxx Unlimited, for example), but they aren't nearly as fast in most cases.

An important thing to remember is that DDR has been stagnant for years. PSMO was damn hard when it came out. At that time, Slam would have been hard for pump (it's still hard, but not much harder than PSMO). I presume Supernova will have some stupid hard stuff on it to rival that of pump and compete with ITG as well.

As for machine locations for the person that asked, the only publicly playable pump machines I'm aware of in the state are Putt Putt in Ft. Wayne, X-Site in Indianapolis, Great X-Scape in Bloomington, and the crappy, crappy OBG at Great Times in Indy. There's supposedly one at a church somewhere that you can play if you sit through a youth group indoctrination, but I'm not up and up (Up Up?) on that.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:29 pm

MonMotha wrote:There's supposedly one at a church somewhere that you can play if you sit through a youth group indoctrination, but I'm not up and up (Up Up?) on that.
Yep, Northview Christian Life Church in Carmel. I haven't been there myself, but my younger sister went their for a big youth group convention type thing. They've got an Exceed GX machine there, and apparently it's in good condition and all. However, as MonMotha said, it's not open for public use. You have to go to their youth group or some similar event.
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:03 am

Interesting...

The one I had heard of (and probably what MonMotha was thinking of) was at a church in Muncie. Of course I never confirmed it, so it could have been Carmel...or perhaps both?!

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:09 pm

god i love that canon-d chart
Team KIMO represent!

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:55 pm

why would a church have a pump machine....

If supernova had hard songs, wouldnt it have to be new songs? And if its going to have as many ps2 songs as been said, then there wont be too many really hard songs.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:02 pm

There are a number of transplants from other Bemani games (mostly beatmania) that I don't believe have shown up on the US releases. There are also some songs that have been on Japanese releases that weren't on US releases. Then there are a few songs that are entirely new, both some Konami originals and presumably there will be the requisite slew of licenses (which may get cut from the US version of the game, though people are insisting the releases will be identical except for display language). Some of these are hard.

Then there's Fascination Maxx, which is just retarded.

As to why a church would have a Pump machine, I have no idea.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:02 pm

Apparently they didnt have enough people in their youth group.^_^

Do they have foam pads for the ps2 for pump?