PIU Zero thoughts + scoring questions

Moderator: Moderators

Secef
Standard
Standard

PIU Zero thoughts + scoring questions

Post by Secef » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:12 pm

I played PIU Zero for the first time tonight. First of all, Mission Mode reminds me that I suck at this game. A lot. Secondly, I think Chung Hwa Ban Jeom is my new favorite song to play on CZ. Number one, the song sounds like something I'd see in a crazy random Flash movie, and number two, it's ridiculous amounts of fun.

I also surprisingly like "I Love You Baby," the "My Summer Love"-knock off by the Ace of Base tribute band. :roll: I laughed the entire time I played that song I think.

Love is a Danger Zone Full Mix HD in the remix station is too jumpy and freezey for its own good. Meaning that I barely obtained victory because I suck. My legs didn't appreciate that. ;_; Further proof I need to work on not double-stepping.

I like all the new Banya songs. Unfortunately, I suck too much to play most of them on CZ. Hell, LIADZ HD even put me away. I can no longer pass all the hard songs. Phooie. Oh, and why the hell is Hypnosis gone?! I LOVED the CZ steps for it. *cries*

And lastly, the new videos are cool. Especially Jump and Phantom's. Not sure why, but they are.

Now... a question about PIU scoring methods. I'm a bit confused. I realize that the point bonuses have been cut down considerably (I'm no longer getting over a million points for Dignity HD and Monkey Fingers HD), but what made me curious was this: When I played Dignity HD in the 2nd or 3rd round (I think), I ended up with 600kish points, and did pretty well on it (24 greats, couple noncombos, forget the max combo). Later on, I play Beethoven Virus HD (it's just fun, dammit) on my first song, get like 2 greats and end up with a higher score than I received for Dignity HD. This struck me as odd, naturally. Do you receive less points in later rounds?

Also, I played Chung Hwa Ban Jeom CZ numerous times during the evening, one time nearly FCing it (550ish combo) and received 1.4 million points for my effort. Now, later plays when I was tired lead to not so great combo amounts and a somewhat significantly lower score of 1.2 million. I may have just been doing crappier on timing accuracy (quite probable) but this led me to believe, combined with my Dignity HD score from earlier, that perhaps the combo amount has something to do with the scoring? I dunno.

Basically... I find the scoring wonky. I can't deduce its method. Someone help me here. *whimpers*

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:44 pm

I don't know a thing about scoring, but I do know that PIU Zero is a pretty great game. I think they cleaned up the patterns for a lot of the newer songs. I also love the 32nd notes in a few songs.

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:52 pm

Hot is the best song in the game.
Team KIMO represent!

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:44 pm

Lil Dyme wrote:Hot is the best song in the game.
That was in Exceed 2 though. RAWR!

I really like the CZ steps for Emergency and Huu Yah Yeah. Fun stuff.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:47 pm

I will direct MonMotha to this thread. He can give you the answers you seek ripped straight from the game itself.

Yume_Taira
Standard
Standard

Post by Yume_Taira » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:50 pm

SoDeepPolaris wrote:
Lil Dyme wrote:Hot is the best song in the game.
That was in Exceed 2 though. RAWR!

I really like the CZ steps for Emergency and Huu Yah Yeah. Fun stuff.
I definitely love the What's Goin' On Crazy steps; despite their easiness, they are just so much fun to do. And who can deny the cute chibi-cheerleader in the background?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:55 pm

Yume_Taira wrote:I definitely love the What's Goin' On

And who can deny the cute chibi-cheerleader in the background?
I refer to it as the "look at my butt" song.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:58 pm

Here's how I read the Zero scoring. Some of the scores I've seen look a little high, though, so I may be missing a hidden bonus or something. I need to check into it.

Base point values per step are:
Perfect: 1000
Great: 500
Good: 100
Bad: -200
Miss (Tap Step): -500
Miss (Hold): -300

If your combo is > 50 and you got a perfect or great, add 1000.
If the step has 3 panels, multiply by 1.5. If there are 4 or more panels, multiply by 2.

Finally, if playing on Nightmare, add 500000 to your final score. If you S the song (any difficulty), add 100000 to the final score.

You'll note that the nightmare bonus has been toned down from Exceed 2's rather excessive 1M, and the 500th step combo bonus has also been removed (to be replaced by the S bonus, from the looks of it). Also, step values no longer increase consitantly with combo, but rather simply double for perfects and triple for greats once you cross the 50 combo threshold. In other words, to score, play songs you can combo well and that have lots of steps (makes sense).

Anothing interesting fact: in some cases (not all) a single miss can remove up to 1/4 of the stage break bar.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Secef
Standard
Standard

Post by Secef » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:53 pm

MonMotha wrote:lots of very helpful information
That explains quite a lot. I find this information to be very helpful and... informative. I'll keep it in mind next time I play to see if I can notice the scoring fluxuations. Thanks a lot! :D

trythil
Standard
Standard

Re: PIU Zero thoughts + scoring questions

Post by trythil » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:00 am

Secef wrote: Secondly, I think Chung Hwa Ban Jeom is my new favorite song to play on CZ. Number one, the song sounds like something I'd see in a crazy random Flash movie
You may very well have seen it in some random movie; a sped-up version of it is the background to the (in?)famous chin2.mpeg 'net meme.

Yume_Taira
Standard
Standard

Re: PIU Zero thoughts + scoring questions

Post by Yume_Taira » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:28 am

trythil wrote:
Secef wrote: Secondly, I think Chung Hwa Ban Jeom is my new favorite song to play on CZ. Number one, the song sounds like something I'd see in a crazy random Flash movie
You may very well have seen it in some random movie; a sped-up version of it is the background to the (in?)famous chin2.mpeg 'net meme.
Indeed it is! I pointed that out before the game even was released. Pump Haven had previews of the new K-pop songs, including that one. I almost fell out of my seat laughing when I recognized the tune.