Moderator: Moderators

BakaOrochi
Korean!
Korean!

Fruits of labor

Post by BakaOrochi » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:02 pm

Raw
Foxy Lady (Harisu)

Still working on my encoding ideas (Raw needs to be redone), but I'm just making it a point to say that Brian is arfing awesome.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:33 pm

15MB, full res, Cannon D Long version

Of course, pretty much nothing but VideoLAN can play it on Windows, but it's small, and it looks AWESOME.

If you'd like info on how to do that, I'll be happy to provide it. Suffice to say, h.264 rocks.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

BakaOrochi
Korean!
Korean!

Post by BakaOrochi » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:13 am

I'm trying to stray away from formats like mp4 and stay with standard extensions that people are more familiar with (mp4's I've noticed tend to cause problems with people who have no fcuking clue what they're doing). I'll have to check out what you got tomorrow; I'm sure it's sharper and cleaner than what I encoded =P

*edit*
And dammit, you took my next avatar idea ARRRR

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:46 am

You can, in theory, put an h.264/avc video into an AVI container, but it is completely nonstandard and pretty much nothing that can't read MPEG4 or Matroska containers will play it anyway. AVIs also don't like VBR audio (again, there are nonstandard hacks to get around it that most players will accept). My container of choice is usually Matroska. That's actually not my encode. Trythil did that one, and his quality beat mine slightly (he generally uses a slightly newer x264 than I do), and he tends to prefer MP4.

Closest thing other than VLC on Windows that will play that is QuickTime. It should be able to demux the container and play the audio, but it will barf on the video because it uses features in h.264 that are unsupported by QuickTime (QuickTime uses a subset of h.264 for their HD trailers and such).

On Linux, I usually use mplayer or vlc. Currently, my vlc h.264 playback is busted, so mplayer it is :) For some reason, I've never gotten xine to handle it. Linux video codec infrastructure is still pretty bad, unfortunately (though the tools are awesome once you get them to speak your desired codecs!).

I crammed Raw in 4.3MB (audio + video) at full res. The final scene (with the Exceed 2 logo) looks kinda meh, but the rest is pretty good. The final scene has some characteristics that MPEG like things (including h.264) tend to not like - it looks a lot like ripples in water, for example. I'm trying to see if I can specify a bitrate profile to crank the bitrate for that last scene.

Oh, and look at my avatar on pump haven. The reason the animated version isn't on here is because of a shaky black border I need to get rid of.

Also, I'm curious, how were you capturing the video before?
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:55 pm

Double Post!

Oh, I think I figured out part of the reason your videos are so big: Your audio is uncompressed linear PCM. It's been downsampled to 32kHz, but even MP3'ing it would help a LOT (since it's running at 1Mbit).

I tend to use Vorbis/Ogg or MPEG4/AAC for my audio, but MP3 is probably a bit more portable.
A normality test:
+++ATH

BakaOrochi
Korean!
Korean!

Post by BakaOrochi » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:03 am

For Prex 3 and prior videoes, I ripped them via some program and using some trick with PC Pump versions that don't display arrows or meters. Then I align the video stream with a separate audio stream via Premiere.

That's very odd, my settings are set for MP3 @ 128kpbs (no reason for anything higher), they shouldn't be coming out uncompressed PCM...strange.

I'll have to take another look at them tomorrow, but my aim so far is to try to keep the format consistant with most of the other main video media on Bemanistyle (AVI, MPG). Even though I've been encoding video for years, I'm still pretty green with Premiere and all these newfangled codec settings (delta frame, key frames, bitrate, blah blah blah). Keeping filesize at about 20-30MB per video isn't a big deal, but compatibility and quality are what I'm worried about (and people really do bi+ch about the littelest things, esp. if it's not in a more standard format...hell people think OUR media is bad because they didn't install Divx codecs on their computers), then it's keeping the file under 50 MB for 1:30 songs.