Post items you have for sale or are looking to buy
**Read the rules announcement in this forum before participating**

Moderator: Moderators

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: WTB: DDR Extreme Arcade Machine

Post by Riot » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:13 pm

Yeah when my machine was delivered we moved it in and set it up with 3 people I believe. Make sure you measure doorways carefully hehe. My doorway was 1/8" too narrow and I had to take off the coin door because the little coin slot protrusion was the 1/8" I needed.

BenMadsen
Standard
Standard

Post by BenMadsen » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:19 pm

What did you use to move the cabinet down stairs?

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:59 pm

I didn't move it down stairs and don't know a good way to do that. I would just take off the marquee and try to to angle it down carefully. I'm not sure how stairs would work tbh unless your stairs are very wide.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:04 pm

STI actually might prefer it not be on a pallet. They take advantage of the fact that it has its own casters to wheel it around inside the truck and at your end without need for a forklift.

They will do inside delivery as part of their "white glove" service, but they don't do stairs. I think it's available if you ask and pay extra, though. Since I needed it in my basement, anyway, I just asked them to leave it in the garage, and they obliged.

They will not disassemble or re-assemble the unit. They can probably ship it almost fully assembled if you want, but you'll pay a humongous amount since the dimensional charges will be huge. DDR, when properly broken down (2 pieces: cabinet alone with no marquee + stages stacked with marquee on top) may actually get billed by actual weight rather than dimensional.

Michelle is who I've worked with in the past, too.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

BenMadsen
Standard
Standard

Post by BenMadsen » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:27 pm

Cool. I'll call them Monday and see if I can talk to Michelle and work something out. I will have BFC take the marquee off and see if they will disconnect the pads. The stairs outside are very wide, they aren't like a staircase, just huge, walk-down stairs. There is also a hill next to them that would be an option, but it is probably a 30 degree incline, so that may not be better.

Do you happen to have a contact number for them, or a way to reach Michelle otherwise?

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:47 pm

Michelle Bianchi
Precision Transportation Inc
Toll Free 877-432-2646
Direct 630-352-3312
Fax 866-651-5919

mbianchi@precision-nal.com

Again, this was 4 years ago so I don't know if things changed. Dug up an old e-mail.

BenMadsen
Standard
Standard

Post by BenMadsen » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:24 pm

Man. You guys are just awesome around here. I wish I frequented this site back in the day. Thank you SO much.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:40 am

Let us know how it works out.

BenMadsen
Standard
Standard

Post by BenMadsen » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:23 pm

Got some shipping quotes today from various companies. STI quoted $670, while UPS quoted $570. All of this includes in-home delivery with stairs. Not bad prices at all. STI said it would be 7-9 business days for delivery, where UPS said 3. I'm leaning towards UPS for their advantages. However, UPS wants everything on pallets, and I'm afraid that the two pads stacked and then the marquee on top of them will potentially damage them, so I'm trying to see if they will just skip the pallets.

Either way, seems like everything should work out fine here in several days. I'm hoping assembling everything will be fairly straightforward. I have some friends who have 8 new sensors to give me, so I'll be able to get one of the pads into great shape before ordering more. Excited!

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:49 pm

Where's this thing coming from? $670 seems high given current fuel prices even if it's coming from California. You should be able to get it closer to $500-575, I would think. You're probably getting charged dimensional weight on it. How it's packaged makes a big difference since it controls how big it is.

You can safely stack the stage halves and marquee for transport. Set the leveler feet so that they don't slide around, use heavy cardboard between each layer, shrink wrap it, and strap or tie with rope to a pallet. STI will do some of this for you, but they won't disassemble it. If the seller disassembles it into the three pieces, I think the STI crew will stack them on the pallet for you. Of course, if the shipped will do that for free, then you may be able to use a cheaper service that expects it all on pallets. The cabinet just needs to be blanket wrapped and rolled around unless the shipper requires it on a pallet. They'll strap it to the side rails in the truck during transport to keep it from rolling around.

That's a surprisingly good quote from UPS. Their freight services are usually quite expensive.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:50 pm

Sorry I'm coming to this late.

I'm really surprised you got a quote from UPS. This isn't something they normally do. Unless you got a quote from UPS Freight. At that point, I wouldn't know since I've never worked with that division.

As for STI, I really can't say enough good things about them. They have moved many machines for me in the past and have always done a good job. The one time I did have some damage, they paid out a claim on it without hassle.

What dimensions did you give STI for the quote (And did you talk to Michelle? She's really nice and helpful. :))? These can make a HUGE difference on the quote that you get. I can assure you that there's no problem with stacking the two stage halves on top of each other so long as the bars are removed first. Then just stack the bars and the marquee on top of the stages and you end up with two pieces with a much smaller dimensional weight.

I haven't moved a machine in several years at this point, so I don't know what the going rates are. $670 seems reasonable but a little high. The oddball truth is that I've never personally moved a DDR with STI, but I've moved many other large machines. However, I've moved comparably sized machines for less when fuel prices were higher. I can give you the dimensions I would give STI if I were going to move it later when I get home, if you're interested.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:04 pm

Now that I think about it. I think I have moved two Pump machines with STI. Let me see if I can dig up those receipts for how much I paid. I also moved a Pump before I knew about STI and paid...a lot more. As an aside, I moved my DDR myself in a rented van.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:10 pm

I have moved a DDR through STI. I unfortunately don't seem to have the documentation from it handy, so I'm going from memory, here. It came from somewhere in Utah, went to Fort Wayne, IN, and it cost around $600 or so. This was in mid-2009, so I guess fuel prices would have potentially been fairly low. It got billed by actual weight, rather than dimensional, which is some what unusual for arcade games. The heavy stages were stacked densely, and that pushed the actual weight higher than the dimensional weight.

What did you declare the value as? That does make some difference, too. They won't reimburse for anything more than you actually paid for the item in a recent sale, so there's no sense valuing it higher as it'll just drive the insurance cost up.

Edit: Ah ha. Found the CC auth. QG9109 booked on 6/30/09 and came to $594.30. Looks like I did the rest of the work over the phone. I want to say it came from Provo, UT, but it was definitely somewhere near Salt Lake City. Would have had the value declared as roughly $3000.
A normality test:
+++ATH

BenMadsen
Standard
Standard

Post by BenMadsen » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:30 pm

The UPS Quote I got was through a site called "FreightCenter". They run what you're moving through a lot of other sites and find the cheapest offer. I knew UPS did Freight delivery, because our homeowners insurance gives us a discount with UPS freight. However, the discount FreightCenter got was cheaper than our homeowners insurance.

I told them the machine was valued at $1000.

The dimensions I gave UPS were:
Pallet 1) Cabinet (500lbs. including pallet)
Height - 70in.
Width - 48in.
Depth - 29in.

Pallet 2) Pads/Marquee (500lbs. including pallet)
Height - 30in.
Width - 35in.
Depth - 48in.

When I talked to Michelle at STI, she didn't even ask for dimensions. She knew the machines came apart into four major parts and knew it weighed a little under 1000 pounds. I'm going to call tomorrow and talk with each of them a bit more before deciding on an option.

Another issue with STI is that they use a 53 foot truck, and my street is essentially a single lane street (since cars park on both sides), so it will be tricky and will require neighbors moving their cars for delivery. UPS uses a smaller truck, as far as I know. I'll iron out details tomorrow and make a decision.

I didn't think 570-670 was too bad of an offer at all, especially considering it was slightly higher because they have to move it down stairs.

Also, Hi Ho! Brian, right? I haven't seen you in a long time and we only met a few times, so I'm not sure if you remember me. You were always really nice. Hope you're doing well!

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:42 pm

Oh, if you requested inside delivery with stairs that will drive the price up, some.

According to my handy-dandy list of Bemani cabinet sizes, those dimensions are pretty spot-on. The weights are pretty close, from experience, too. I guess Michelle has booked enough DDR machines now to not even have to ask. They've long been the community go-to for moving these things since back when they were booking through NAVL/Beltmann.

They do require that the area be semi tractor-trailer accessible. They don't much seem to care about HOW accessible it is as long as the truck can safely get there and get back out. They actually had to back the truck out of my neighborhood when I lived in Ft. Wayne because the turnaround at the end of the street was too small. It didn't seem to bother them too much. If they can't get a semi down the street, that will drive the price up, too, though I'd think UPS's freight division would have similar concerns. You might also check to make sure that UPS quoted you lift gate service.

Where is the machine coming from? Distance is the big factor, typically, due to fuel cost.
A normality test:
+++ATH