**Read the rules announcement in this forum before participating**

Moderator: Moderators

Painful
Beginner
Beginner

WTB : OBSA-45UK-G Sanwa Start Button

Post by Painful » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:58 am

Hello,

I had posted a couple of months back looking for good locations to play DDR/ITG. I appreciated the feedback and found that for ITG, LaserFlash up in Carmel was a great location! Thanks for the suggestions.

As far as DDR goes, I was lucky enough to be able to take the advice a few of you had given out and bought a used machine off of eBay. It was listed as non functional. The original purchaser had gotten it from a high school liquidation sale and had accidentally "broken" it by changing discs around. Was able to locate the install and play CD for 8th (and it looked like the board had the 8th IC).

Long story short is the unit is functional now! Woohoo! Missing an arrow (which I've ordered) and there are a few cosmetic issues I'll end up working through, but first and foremost - both of the start buttons are barely functional. I've tried cleaning the contacts and verifying the connection at the contacts are nice and tight. The microswitches on both seem to be on their last legs.

I've gotten requests out on a couple of different channels to see if I can pick some of these up, but wanted to touch base here, not only to see if anyone had a couple of extras in their own personal stock they'd be willing to sell, but to let everyone know that if you're interested, you're welcome to swing by and try the machine out, say hello, etc!

Thanks in advance!!!

Fluffyumpkins

Re: WTB : OBSA-45UK-G Sanwa Start Button

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:23 pm

I swear Indy has the most privately owned machines per household. Congrats on the purchase.

Painful
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Painful » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:36 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:I swear Indy has the most privately owned machines per household. Congrats on the purchase.
Thanks! Pretty psyched about it.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:35 pm

I think you can buy most Sanwa stuff on Rakuten these days. They will act as a freight forwarder and get them to you in the USA from Japan. Be prepared to shell out a lot of cash, though.

Alternately, Happ sells buttons that are pretty darned close in terms of fit, though they don't look identical. They're WAY cheaper.

You can also just replace the microswitches if the buttons themselves are in serviceable condition. New microswitches can be very cheap, or you can splurge and pay like $5 each for the OEM-equivalent ones.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Painful
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Painful » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:11 am

MonMotha wrote:I think you can buy most Sanwa stuff on Rakuten these days. They will act as a freight forwarder and get them to you in the USA from Japan. Be prepared to shell out a lot of cash, though.

Alternately, Happ sells buttons that are pretty darned close in terms of fit, though they don't look identical. They're WAY cheaper.

You can also just replace the microswitches if the buttons themselves are in serviceable condition. New microswitches can be very cheap, or you can splurge and pay like $5 each for the OEM-equivalent ones.
This is definitely a route I'd like to go - the microswitch appears to be toast, but the rest of the assembly is fine. Do you have any recommendations on where I can get these? I wonder if the switch itself has a separate p/n... I'd check now but I've got to get to work - will definitely check when I get home.

Thanks for the info!

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:13 pm

The Omron V-10G-1C24-K is almost an exact replacement (the EXACT OEM part is not generally stocked in U.S. distribution chains). The differences are extremely minimal; I use these in my IIDX machine which is probably one of the most demanding applications of microswitch performance I have.

Digikey has them: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/e ... V-10G-1C24 or search Digikey part number SW126-ND if that link doesn't work.
Mouser also has them: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Omr ... %2buLDxg== or search Mouser part number 653-V10G1C24.

Both will sell you singles with no minimum order. IIRC, Digikey offers slightly cheaper shipping options (USPS 1st class with no tracker) than Mouser, these days. Also, they're apparently even cheaper than I was thinking (~$2.25).

I've also got a bunch of old switches pulled out of various things. They won't feel like the OEM switch, but you can have them for free if you want them. Just let me know how many and where you want them sent.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Painful
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Painful » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:14 pm

I appreciate the feedback and help! I finally grew a brain and took the microswitches out (I didn't realize they could be removed from the button itself... oops). I bought two replacement microswitches at Frys for 2 bucks a shot and they work correctly now. Woohoo!

In the immediate I need to get my hands on a triangle bracket and get a definite number on the amount of pad sensors that need to be replaced.

Satisfaction gained from being able to enter the unlock code for the system, as that was a bit of a challenge with a non-functional start button.