Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Cave Shmups on PC

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:04 am

Well, this is a legitimate surprise. Cave is releasing Mushihimesama (Also known as Bug Princess on iOS) on PC this winter with more games planned for release. I don't know if anybody follows shmups anymore, but this is a great start if they are going through their back catalog when compared to their domestic 360 releases.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: Cave Shmups on PC

Post by Riot » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:51 pm

This is a genuine surprise.

Never played a Cave shmup that I'm aware of, will have to try if it's cheap!

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:56 am

Mushihimesama will be $20 when it comes out, which is actually pretty low compared to the $60-$70 cost for the 360 port when that was released. Also, the Matsuri version DLC is openly available for purchase whereas it was only available in the first print edition and the Cave Shooting Collection for the 360.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:49 am

Riot wrote:This is a genuine surprise.

I think you played DoDonPachi.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:10 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:
Riot wrote:This is a genuine surprise.

I think you played DoDonPachi.
Which one? There are numerous games in the DonPachi series now.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:21 pm

DA-DA-DA-DA-DA-DO DON PACHI

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:05 am

Mushihimesama is coming out today and will be $20 normally with $5 for the 1.5 (Also known as Matsuri) DLC. For it's first week it will be on sale at $15 (Which will come with the soundtrack for free) with the DLC at $3.75. I watched the live stream from the publisher and here's my notes.

- The 360 port served partially as the foundation of this, but Cave working on PC ports has been apparently a year in the making.
- The game is native 720p and I didn't see any options to change the resolution. This to me is what the hell worthy as 1080p is the standard for PC monitors with people starting to migrate to 1440p and in some extreme cases 2160p (4k) so I'm very disappointed with that announcement.
- The next Cave game will be announced around Christmas and I sincerely hope it isn't Deathsmiles or Akai Katana as both got a domestic release and I feel that Cave should go for games that didn't get a stateside release first.
- It appears to be fairly accurate for the two arcade versions (orig

Overall, I say support the game as these are smaller companies and they mean business. I just hope that Cave realizes that 720p won't cut it for PC gaming due to up-scaling adding latency sometimes with lesser monitors.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:21 am

Overall impressions:
- $15 for Arcade, Novice, and arrange. Given that this was $70 for just Arcade and Arrange on the PStwo (plus it had graphics worse than the arcade) and $70-$80 on the 360 this is a relative steal.
- My monitor loves to complain about the non-1080p resolution and you can change one of the initialization files to do 1080p so I think Cave and the publisher should do an update for that.
- This game was made with 360 controllers in mind. Which means in turn that I had to do a bit of reconfiguring for my PS3/PS4 Hori fightstick and even then it has no way to configure the start button so it would be recommended that cave revise how they handled buttons for the games.
- There is currently a bug where the game forgets if it is to be fullscreen or not when it's set and just opens in a window.
- Some people apparently are having an issue where the game is locked at 56 fps in some scenarios. I have not experienced this but I've seen enough reports to where I can't ignore it. (Note: Cave has released an update to fix this issue and a couple of crashing issues.)
- When I played, steam achievements were apparently not working, but I will confirm if this is still an issue today after work.

Overall, there are a couple of hiccups, but nothing at the level of Batman: Arkham Knight. All shmups fans should buy it and make sure they give constructive feedback to help Cave and it's publisher.
Memorable 2016 quotes: