Mobile games that don't suck

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Fluffyumpkins

Mobile games that don't suck

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:19 am

As of July, there are 1,300,000 games available on the Google Play store. An overwhelming majority of these games are microtransaction-ridden addiction simulators and bringing ad bars to your phone while you wait 20 minutes before you can play Casual Castle or Addiction Empire again. These games are a blight on the industry, and waste the potential of these incredible pocket computers we carry around every day. I want so badly to believe there are good games out there. I want to find the diamonds, resting in their resplendence at the bottom of the deepest trench in a sea of diarrhea.

Suggest some games! They don't have to be free. I'm willing to pay for quality.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mobile games that don't suck

Post by Ho » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:36 am

Contre Jour is a good physics-based puzzler. It's sort of Angry Birds with more actions and abilities except that you're getting from point A to point B rather than breaking shit. It also has a pretty slick black-and-white art style akin to Limbo.

Flight Commander is a fun little time waster where you play as an air traffic controller trying to land more and more planes at an airport. It gets pretty hairy keeping them from crashing into each other once you've been playing for a while and there's a ton of planes on the screen.

FC Rocket is sequel to Flight Commander with a space theme and a little faster pacing.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:10 pm

Frozen Bubble is an open source game similar to Puzzle Bobble/Bust-A-Move. There is a build available in F-Droid with no ads whatsoever, or you can disable them in the Google Play build (I don't know who gets the revenue from the ads in said build).
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:04 pm

Oddly enough, DJ Max Technica Q was pretty good despite it's flaws.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:23 am

I like Puzzle and Dragons.
It has microtransactions, but you can get away pretty easily with not using them. The core puzzle mechanics are a lot of fun and the game eventually introduces enough challenge for it to become a fun, party-management sort of deal. Gets a bit grindy later on, though.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:45 pm

Pokebis wrote:I like Puzzle and Dragons.
It has microtransactions, but you can get away pretty easily with not using them. The core puzzle mechanics are a lot of fun and the game eventually introduces enough challenge for it to become a fun, party-management sort of deal. Gets a bit grindy later on, though.
I played that for awhile but unless super late game unless you have very specific gods a lot of the bosses are nearly impossible to kill =(

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:59 am

Really interesting albeit long article on F2P games and the psychology behind them: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RaminSho ... Tricks.php

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:59 am

I always feel some combination of anger and disappointment after reading articles like these. F2P feels psychologically abusive and hurts game design, which is bad, but the fact that it rakes in so much god damn money is depressing. If that's what pays the bills, you're going to see more talented developers cash out instead of making quality products. Since we just talked about it, I'll throw Riot under the bus:

Riot is a billion times more likely to give money to Clash of Clans, which is doing its best to get into Riot's wallet using gameplay that's more addictive than it is fun, than to his favorite musical artists that are creating something interesting that he feels an honest-to-god emotional connection to. It's not his fault he's being taken advantage of, and I'm not even sure he's supposed to be responsible for the direction the industry takes, but when I see a smart, young, frugal, 9/10 good looking guy just giving it up...

I need to emotionally detach from vibeo games.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:15 am

I played through Ridiculous Fishing recently. Not a bad little game. The soundtrack is pretty good too. Lots of charm.

6/10 game for $3. Not a bad deal, but I wouldn't say it's a must buy either.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:20 pm

I enjoyed the point the beginning of the article about how F2P games are akin to credit card companies in the sense that they are marketed to 18-25 year olds because of the legal protections that no longer apply to them and their inexperience with handling money and impulse control. It reminded me of all the "GET A FREE T-SHIRT SIGN UP FOR THIS CREDIT CARD" booths that I would see all over campus back in the IU days.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:18 pm

But I like Clash of Clans because I enjoy raiding other people's villages and doing wars and play with other RL friends. I still don't see how having fun for 200+ hours in a game and spending $25 is somehow worse or some vampiric cash-grab moreso than paying $3 for a 2 hour game.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:26 pm

Because these games don't take skill and are specifically designed at the cost of fun gameplay to give you an illusion of progress by spending money.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:45 pm

Riot wrote:I still don't see how having fun for 200+ hours in a game and spending $25 is somehow worse or some vampiric cash-grab moreso than paying $3 for a 2 hour game.
I agree with this 100%, but I would challenge the word 'fun.' I'm arguing that Candy Clash & Dragons isn't fun for 200+ hours. The game has been built from the ground up to feed an addiction/compulsion, then try to cash out on it. Ask yourself honestly, "am I having a good time playing this game, or do I feel like I need to be playing it?" Have you been bored of this game for a while now, but you're playing because you're so invested? It just seems evil to me to try to play mind games with people, especially when we know video games have potential to be some of the most fun stuff ever. Like it or not, you're making the problem worse by giving them money.

Ridiculous Fishing never:

- Asked me to follow, like, tweet, or give them a social networking tugjob.
- Asked me to pay for anything after having purchased the game.
- Showed me an advertisement for a giant breasted woman. (Although I kinda wish it had)
- Prevented me from playing the game for a set amount of time.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:02 pm

Well what if it's fun for me? I like the idea of leveling up a base and warring other people and killing theirs. It's also fun because friends play and we chat through it and smoosh other dudes (that sounds sexual). I admit that at super high levels it's kind of boring to grind for gold/elixir in game by attacking other bases all the time and waiting for troops to finish training (but I just leave my old phone on while they do so I don't get raided in the mean time), but I like having goals to look forward to. I do kind of feel like I'm playing because I've invested a lot of time, but I still enjoy it so I dunno. And CoC does not advertise with buxom babes that's its imposter game, nor does it do the other stuff. You can choose to pay for some stuff but it never makes it seem integral to progress at all.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:36 pm

Don't you feel shitty when someone crushes your little base because they gave Supercell $10?