When the hell did Zelda games become such a chore to play?

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

WyomingMyst
Standard
Standard

When the hell did Zelda games become such a chore to play?

Post by WyomingMyst » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:49 am

I have been playing Skyward Sword which is needlessly to say one of my least favorite of the series. One reason is the infuriating controls with the Wii Motion Plus. (I never knew I could develop such a hate for Baku's until this game). Another is the tiring process of preparing and arming oneself for tackling each step of the main story. For example I am just about to hit the fifth dungeon of this game now, however I am right now trying to get two Health Potions prepped for the journey, however since I know have a high heart meter, I have to upgrade the basic potions the more potent ones, which involves travelling to each of the three regions to find insects to be used in the upgrades. I also am trying to get the best available shield upgraded to the maximum potential and that required more materials needed than to build a car it seemed including having Link go into psychological dillusions in his own mind to find a material called Dusk Relics. *sigh*

Seriously, spending up to a half a day to prep for each major part of the story is not fun, it's a chore. Heck it's easier to breed Pokemon than this.

*end video game rant*

Fluffyumpkins

Re: When the hell did Zelda games become such a chore to play?

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:59 pm

http://www.indyddr.com/forums/viewtopic ... ord#p88097
http://www.indyddr.com/forums/viewtopic ... ord#p88005

You are exactly right. Skyward Sword was balls. There's one neat mechanic introduced around the desert area, but that's about it. Flying has never been any less fun than in Skyward Sword.

WyomingMyst
Standard
Standard

Post by WyomingMyst » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:59 am

I also noticed Nintendo is desperate to keep items fresh in the series. Skyward Sword was not bad, except the Beetle was quite the "what the hell is this?" device when I first saw it.

Twilight Princess though was just bad with item variety, when I helped play through that game, I was mean and didn't help him try to figure out how to use the Spinner. I think we wasted a half hour on that. Lol.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:09 pm

WyomingMyst wrote:I also noticed Nintendo is desperate to keep items fresh in the series. Skyward Sword was not bad, except the Beetle was quite the "what the hell is this?" device when I first saw it.

Twilight Princess though was just bad with item variety, when I helped play through that game, I was mean and didn't help him try to figure out how to use the Spinner. I think we wasted a half hour on that. Lol.
It's a played out formula:

1. Walk around dungeon and observe you can't get to some places.
2. Walk where you can go.
3. Fight miniboss.
4. Get dungeon item.
5. Go to the places missed in step 1.
6. Fight boss using item found in dungeon to exploit boss weakness.
7. Get heart container and never use item again unless required.

Holy shit we get it. Now innovate.

WyomingMyst
Standard
Standard

Post by WyomingMyst » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:02 am

On a positive note I have mastered the game today. It is going back onto the shelf and probably never going to come back out until 2015.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 pm

This is kinda off topic, but oh well. Wii U doesn't seem to be doing that well and I don't think it has a chance to really compete in this coming generation against the 720/PS4. Not that those consoles will necessarily be awesome or blow us out of the water or anything, but I think the fanbase is just much more loyal and there is a larger component of Call of Duty people foaming for this perceived "omg next gen console!!!1". I honestly think Wii U might be one of, if not the, last traditional consoles Nintendo releases and that they'll focus on handheld after this. Maybe one more after Wii U, but I dunno. Opinions?

WyomingMyst
Standard
Standard

Post by WyomingMyst » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:00 pm

Riot wrote:This is kinda off topic, but oh well. Wii U doesn't seem to be doing that well and I don't think it has a chance to really compete in this coming generation against the 720/PS4. Not that those consoles will necessarily be awesome or blow us out of the water or anything, but I think the fanbase is just much more loyal and there is a larger component of Call of Duty people foaming for this perceived "omg next gen console!!!1". I honestly think Wii U might be one of, if not the, last traditional consoles Nintendo releases and that they'll focus on handheld after this. Maybe one more after Wii U, but I dunno. Opinions?
Wii U is not doing what Wii did in 2006, no question there. However Wii U is a little lack luster right now because really there are no good games for it yet. I am going to wait until after E3 to see if Wii U will hold its own against the other two consoles. As for handheld, well that market is under threat with smart phone gaming, and it will be titles like Pokemon that will keep the 3DS afloat.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed May 08, 2013 3:43 pm

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/08/ea-f ... ndo-wii-u/

More fuel to my argument that Wii U will probably bite the dust pretty bad this generation.