Street Fighter x Tekken

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Street Fighter x Tekken

Post by Riot » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:47 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... YuzIivBMVs#!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pNvOjSG ... r_embedded

Anybody else pumped?! From all the streams I've been watching, all the pros really like this game and say it's reminiscent of CvS2, which I never played but everyone always says was awesome. Apparently it's really offensive-based, the gems are actually pretty cool, and the combo timing leniency is a bit easier and kind of a mixture of dial-a-combo like Marvel but still retains some of the cancels/link extended possibilities from SF4.

I'm obviously gonna play Akuma, but I'm very interested in Hugo, Raven, Ken, Jin, Yoshimitsu, and Rolento as possible partners. Apparently Hugo is super good.

Plus Merk is in the game!

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Re: Street Fighter x Tekken

Post by Pokebis » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:34 pm

Haven't been paying too much attention, but if it's as Namco vs. Capcom as I've seen in a few screenshots I can imagine it's awesome.
It it slow and technical like SSF4 or more fast-paced and meta like MvC3?

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:01 pm

It looks slow as shit. I am not really excited about this game and I am mostly curious as to how Tekken characters are going to translate to a 2D fighter.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:14 pm

Merk wrote:It looks slow as shit. I am not really excited about this game and I am mostly curious as to how Tekken characters are going to translate to a 2D fighter.
Wall bounces and super low damage combos, duh.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:53 pm

Everything I've seen doesn't portray it as slow... in fact everyone says it's really offensive and fast. Combos do a little more damage than S4 because you now have two characters to go between per round, but there are so many added layers of possibilities with tags, mid-combo extending tags, launcher switch things, etc. that there will be a lot more crazy possibilities. From what I hear the Tekken characters are really good. Nearly all of them have some kind of fireball-invulnerable dash through type move. A lot of them make use of extended ground bounce and wall bounce combos. Because of this, there are a lot more in-your-face type characters which will probably discourage more turtle play.

I'm just saying I wasn't excited at all about this game, but after watching it more and listening to what everyone is saying, it should be really good.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:31 pm

I've watched videos and it really looks like a hacked SF4. It looks like it still has retains extremely link-oriented combos which is probably my biggest gripe with SF4.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:41 am

Well come to Fort Wang next weekend and see for yourself!

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:59 am

Yeah I think I am for David Perry's birthday. I'll be in touch!

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:37 pm

Merk wrote:I've watched videos and it really looks like a hacked SF4. It looks like it still has retains extremely link-oriented combos which is probably my biggest gripe with SF4.
Every dude on the stream keeps saying it doesn't play like SF4 at all. A lot more footsie oriented like older games apparently. We'll see on Tuesday I guess!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:45 pm

Merk has already made up his mind. Once he's made his decision about a video game, there's no amount of evidence that could change his viewpoint.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:50 pm

Yep, that's what I've been trying to say for years. If you go into a game thinking for sure you're going to hate it, you're just going to be looking out for all the flaws so you can solidify your opinion. That's why I don't hate on any game that much; I go into games like FF13 trying to appreciate all that's GOOD about it instead of all the things that are bad.

Everything I've been hearing lately about this game has been really good so I'm excited : ) : )

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:53 pm

Riot wrote:Yep, that's what I've been trying to say for years. If you go into a game thinking for sure you're going to hate it, you're just going to be looking out for all the flaws so you can solidify your opinion. That's why I don't hate on any game that much; I go into games like FF13 trying to appreciate all that's GOOD about it instead of all the things that are bad.

Everything I've been hearing lately about this game has been really good so I'm excited : ) : )
Maybe, but I'm specifically saying this is what Merk does. Other people may be less rigid.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:11 pm

http://kotaku.com/5889066/competitive-g ... ent-debate
http://kotaku.com/5889415/this-is-what- ... looks-like

C'mon people. Keep it classy. This is just another one, of many, reasons I don't feel compelled to take the time to learn new fighting games. It's pretty clear these aren't the people I want to associate myself with.

Remember that really weird dude's house in Fort Wayne? Narsty.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:40 pm

Well what do you expect out of a big nasty guy like this

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:35 pm

Riot wrote:Well what do you expect out of a big nasty guy like this

A good baby sitter and stand up citizen?
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.