ummmmm Street Fighter III: Online Edition anyone???

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: ummmmm Street Fighter III: Online Edition anyone???

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:04 pm

IF YOU ARE GETTING THIS GAME GET IT FOR THE XBOX 360 SO WE CAN ALL PLAY TOGETHER ON A BEAUTIFUL AND HOPEFULLY LAGLESS SETUP.

I think my name is MerkMan or MerkMang. I am honestly never on but now that 3SOE is coming out I will be on all the time assuming lag is truly not a huge issue. Now you all can expose me for how bad I am at this game.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:58 pm

It's MerkMang. Mark I will play with you if you play Ultimate with me. Maybe I will learn Ken and tier whore but I will probably stick with Akuma and continue to get owned.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:00 pm

Why would I not get Ultimate? We have to train you for EVO 2012 bro.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:30 pm

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/aug/ ... on-review/

dang bwos pretty good scores all around

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:48 am

Riot I really hope you pick this game up tomorrow and train hard with Akuma in the little character trial mode thingy.

Urien vs. Akuma is a weird match up. If Urien tags you in the air with a fireball then you're going to eat a 50%-75% combo. On the other hand, if you can reversal teleport then you are immune to Urien's unblockable setups. Basically, if you don't play retarded then the match is very much in Akuma's favor - learn to parry in the air.

Urien's biggest weakness IMO is a lack of any good blockstrings, reversals, and safe hit confirms that lead in to big damage. His dash, grab, and pokes sort of make up for this and he's the only character that can turn a grab into a big super combo (if your opponent can't fast stand consistently) but it makes his game plan really one-dimensional. Basically, if you know how to play the game then Urien can be easily beaten; if not then you might as well throw the controller down.

Ken is a really well designed character and he's good without having all the bullshit that Chun-Li has. Everyone and their mother is going to be playing him so you might as well hop on board the gravy train! If you want to play 3S on easy mode, do this:

Training mode
Set dummy to random guard
Pick Chun-Li
Practice hit confirming c.MK into SA2
Practice until you can go 10/10 consistently
Win games

And for everyone that is not familiar with the game, the tierlist goes as follows (this is from memory so I may be off):

Chun-Li
Yun
Ken / Makoto
Dudley
Akuma
Yang
Urien

Everyone else is not really tournament viable, but they go roughly as such:

Ryu
Oro
Elena
Ibuki
Hugo
Necro
Alex
Remy
Q
Twelve
Sean

ImuyumI
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum

Post by ImuyumI » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:01 am

You be dissin' my Twelve yo.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:48 am

Twelve is such a weird character that he doesn't really fit in to the game. I sorta see what Capcom was trying to do with the character but in the Third Strike engine it doesn't work at all. Most of his normals are 1-hit parry bait with terrible recovery (Chun can punish st.HK with a mid screen SA2 on block). He has no guaranteed high damage BnBs and his entire game is pokes but the shit of it all is that his pokes have absolutely god awful priority. He's good in air-to-air situations but your opponent can beat Twelve by simply not jumping or - better yet - using an anti-air.

Most of the time his best super is XCOPY because it makes him not Twelve plus he gets a fancy attack and defense boost. The conundrum of picking this super though is that you can't use EX moves (since it's a one stock super) which Twelve really needs (EX-Dive is really good if you catch your opponent jumping and EX-spazzy arms does good chip).

He would be a beast in SF2 though for sure. Walk under them sonic booms bro!

EDIT: This is a prime example why Twelve is not good - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cKHmpKyHq0 - you would think that Hugo v. Twelve matchup would be in the ranged poker's favor but it's not. Twelve has to work so hard for so little damage that Hugo only needs to catch Twelve a few times before it's gg.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:02 am

Fucking work and plasma donation aughghghghgh I want to get home and download / play this game.

There's a default input lag for GGPO that is set to two frames by default that you need to change for no input delay. I'm not sure why they had this set as the default but whatever.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:24 am

Is ranked match broken for anyone else? I get stuck in "Searching for opponent" hell. I am uber impatient and lobby matches take way too long and my connection usually drops mid-match.

I think the internet in my room is fucked up because I had awful roll backs and lag spikes all day.

Some of these character trials are retarded (Dudley 5) but a lot of them are pretty good. Yun 5 really pisses me off because it makes you use hp palm in the corner Genei Jin combo instead of the usual lp palm. Ken 5 is probably the most impractical one I've seen thus far.

EDIT: I meant Ken 5 - not Ken 4. Whichever one has you juggling Q in the corner for no damage and 2.5 meters.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:43 pm

Yeah ranked was broken for me too and other people on forums were saying the same thing. I'll give their servers a few days. After we stopped playing and I played with ghetto dave and brent and some other people it was fine so yeah port forward and tell people to stop torrenting. You get to live my 505 experience. And I did pretty good overall. I'd say I won 60-70% of all the games I've played so far.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:21 pm

I really wish I could play this game without the stuttering so I could crush your smug soul like I did the last time we played live in the Marvel room.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:54 pm

Merk wrote:I really wish I could play this game without the stuttering so I could crush your smug soul like I did the last time we played live in the Marvel room.
MerkMang I had some stuttering too but maybe not as much as you. I AIN'T SMUG BRO REAL TALK MANG BRO NAW MEAN BRO FREAL BRO

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/aug/ ... /#comments

Merk

Post by Merk » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:39 pm

This is game is pretty fun if you can find a game with no lag. Ranked match is still broken for me.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:59 am

Ranked match works for me I just have to wait 1-3 minutes to find someone. Will someone play this game with me today after school? I am getting better and want to be competitive.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:00 am

Played a bit this morning and holy shit do I crush baddies on the internet. It's a world of difference from actual GGPO where only really really really fucking good people played and I got beat down constantly.

Riot I want to fight you but I have to play DDR mans.