ImuyumI
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum

Re: Let's tierlist random videogames

Post by ImuyumI » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:27 am

SoDeepPolaris wrote:
Fluffyumpkins wrote:E-Euro.
I-Italy.

The more I think about it, I should be switched with E. "Durrrr we took a tomato and herbs and mashed it up. Let's put it on pasta and charge a lot of money. Mucha Belle!"
-Benito Mussolini

Indian would be A tier.
Makes me wonder if you've even had legitimate Italian food. Fazolis and macaroni grill don't count.
I agree with SDP. My sister takes a lot of f'ing time making her own sauce and fresh pasta is a heckuva lot different than getting the boxed/generic stuff.

Albiet, I'm slightly biased since I am partly Italian and love Italian food.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:35 pm

I will admit that tiramisu is top tier as far as desserts.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Wed May 29, 2013 8:27 pm

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu May 30, 2013 8:23 am

http://www.destructoid.com/999-on-ios-l ... 4765.phtml?

I tried to skim it since it was spoiler heavy, but I'll stick with the DS.

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:13 pm

So I don't play video games much (see image), but I got really enticed with Portal. I can not resist a good puzzle, so I turned on the Box for the first time in a while.
Attachments
XBL.JPG
XBL.JPG (141.92 KiB) Viewed 15128 times

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri May 31, 2013 12:06 pm

Wow. 6 years. Really?

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Fri May 31, 2013 11:14 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:http://www.destructoid.com/999-on-ios-l ... 4765.phtml?

I tried to skim it since it was spoiler heavy, but I'll stick with the DS.
I'd imagine they kept the vital elements of the story that are told during the puzzles (there are plenty of those). To be completely honest, I felt the puzzles bogged down the game, because to see all of the endings you had to do them over and over and over again and it got really tedious. The text-skip was also too slow.
Virtue's Reward fixed this perfectly by just having a scene-select sort of timeline deal where you could jump between part at any point not having to worry about redoing rooms unless you really wanted to. Seriously, the timeline mechanic is one of the best things I've ever seen happen to the VN genre. Removes any tediousness that's possibly there.
But, yeah, if they don't pull it off EXACTLY right for the iOS port it could potentially ruin the punch of the story.
I also don't really care for that "HD" art. Same for the Pheonix Wright "HD" iOS port. That stuff's disgusting.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:06 am

Holy. Shit. Spoilers.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:14 pm

I made a post in the Breaking Bad thread about where it fit in the overall TV finale tier-list and it got me thinking -- let's tier some TV show finales!

S:

Six Feet Under -- The quintessential "Where are they now?" ending. All characters got a little send off and their ultimate fates, good and bad, get revealed in a montage.

A:

Breaking Bad -- The "Just another episode!" ending. The show will be remembered in its entirety and not for its finale. All important loose ends get tied up and the show ends without the possibility of some stupid bullshit sequel.

The Shield -- The "You so stuuuupiiiiid" ending. The main character deservedly loses everything and gets pigeon-hold into a shitty desk job he hates. General consensus is that the ending is very satisfying and fits the theme of the show.

Twin Peaks -- The "Whoops we got canceled" cliff hanger ending. Sure, there were more questions than answers but in retrospect this is the perfect ending for this show.

Quantum Leap -- The "Thinking man's Debbie downer" ending. Al gets a happy ending but Sam Beckett gets super fucked and has an existential crisis about his existence. Fade to black, white text, "And he never returned home..." I hate to say it but this show could use a reboot now that we've had a solid two decades of American history that the show can work with.

B:

Cowboy Bebop -- The "Holy shit an anime actually ended" ending. Kudos to Japan for actually writing a definitive end to a show that didn't include some philosophical or spiritual crazytalk. Of course it has its typical anime leaps of logic but all in all the ending was solid.

King of The Hill -- The "Just another episode" ending. Hank is finally proud of Bobby for one short moment. The show is basically a sitcom so really, what did you expect? It's not a bad episode and it didn't try to do anything outlandish so it fits in B-Tier. It's wholly average!

Married... With Children -- See above. The premise and execution of the ending is more or less the same.

Star Trek: TNG -- A combo of the "Where are they now?" and "Just another episode!" endings. We get a little glimpse into each character's fate but they tried to write it as another "Adventure of the week" episode which, although fitting with the show, could have used some sort of finality. I can't blame them though considering they still had movies to produce. Basically, this show will be remembered as a series and the finale is just another piece of the whole.

C:

The X-Files -- The "Clip show" ending. Government conspiracy? Alien plot to colonize Earth? Let's talk about all the great shit we did for the last 7 years instead!

Seinfeld -- See above, except instead of an overarching story we shove all the catchphrases we created over the last decade and go, "See? Remember that guy? LOL!"

Sopranos -- The "Don't show, don't tell" ending. The fat and now dead Italian was slated to be murdered by his ex-associates but OH NO we ran out of filming tape. Print this shit anyway!

The Office -- The "We should have been canceled forever ago" ending. Forced appearance by the one actor that made the show worthwhile? Check. Force appearance by the camera crew that we don't give a fuck about that got shoe-horned in to the last season? Check. Did the British actually do it right by not dragging this shit out? God damn it... yes.

Bob Newheart Show -- The "It was just a dream" ending. Self-explanatory. The entire show ends up just being a dream of the protagonist.

St. Elsewhere -- The "It was just a retard's daydream." Self-explanatory and completely unnecessary. It sure as fuck was rememberable for being way out there.

Alf -- Another "Whoops we got canceled" ending. Alf gets captured by the government and is presumably doomed to a future of experimentation and ultimately dissection. We never get to see it though because the show got canceled. Surprisingly this made the show end on a pretty dark note!

Roseanne -- The "Everything is a lie" ending. The last episodes shows all the characters benefiting from a fantastic windfall and everyone ends up happy and getting what they want out of life..... Until it's revealed in a somewhat pointless twist that the last few seasons were a lie and that John Goodman had died, some baby died, and all the characters ultimately ended up either in despair or dead.

D:

Dexter -- The "How to mercy kill a TV show" ending. Dexter as a show had been in constant pain over the last four years and wanted nothing more than to be put to rest. It wasn't pretty but in the end everyone got what they wanted. God damn this was a bad show and there's nothing the poor little finale could have done to save it.

Lost -- The "You just don't GET it" ending. This is what happens when you build the hype train for years and come down with a sudden case of writer's block. Ambiguous spiritual ending? Check. No explanation for any of the weird shit that we'd been promised would be explained? Check. Pretentious fan-base that has guzzled the Kool-Aid and won't accept an ounce of criticism? Check.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:55 pm

Don't know where else to put this but this is worth sharing:

https://twitter.com/ffvii_blazed

Some dude redoes the dialog in every scene in FF7 as if the characters were high as fuck. The premise sounds stupid but it's execution is really, really good if you like stoner humor and have a fairly decent memory of the plot of FF7 and how the scenes flow.

Since it's twitter you have to scroll all the way down to the bottom and read upwards.

The scene where you do have to save that little girl from drowning in Junon:
TIFA: cloud do mouth-to-mouth
CLOUD: why
TIFA: to save her
CLOUD: i mean why me
TIFA: what
CLOUD: shouldn’t a girl do it
TIFA: she’s gonna die
CLOUD: i mean ok i will if i have to but why don’t you do it like we both know how
TIFA: you just have to
CLOUD: whatever i’ll do it even though she’s like 9 or whatever
TIFA: you’re killing her
CLOUD: then why didn’t you just go first ugh *gasp*

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:50 pm

Merk requested this here because he talked about Seinfeld earlier:

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:03 pm

I guess Zero Escape 3, the sequel to "999: 9 persons, 9 hours, 9 doors" and "Virtue's Last Reward", was announced

That's p cool, I didn't think they'd make another!