EVO 2011

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: EVO 2011

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:33 am

ImuyumI wrote: It's 2 hours if you don't obey the speed limit :) Also, might be interested in going. *researches different forms of poker*
I have never seen anything other than No-Limit / Fixed-Limit Texas Hold 'em played in every card room I have ever been in so that's all you'll need to know. I did see an Omaha High game though once being played by a bunch of degenerate regulars at a VFW card room in Fort Wayne - they were throwing away chips left and right and it was great because I had all the bad players to myself while the sharks ate each other. I'd love to play in a 7-card stud game somewhere but the only place I've ever even seen it advertised was at the Bellagio in Vegas and it was a high stakes 20/40 game. Even if I could afford playing in that game I'd be god damned if the Bellagio could even amass five players to make a table.

Unfortunately, since card rooms are pretty rare in Indiana and are generally found out by word-of-mouth the games are played by regulars and are thus a bit tougher (as in, the players are better) than what you'd find in Vegas. Don't get me wrong, a 1/2 No-Limit game at some place like French Lick is still full of bad players and playing a tight-aggressive game is still a winning strategy, but you'll run in to significantly less tourists who will gamble-shove with shit like bottom pair or baby flushes. On one hand this reduces variance which is always good IMO, but because rake tends to be so god damn high in these game you can make a case that 1/2 No-Limit games are unbeatable in the long run because of the smaller pots.

Unless you're talking about table games against the house (Three-Card poker, Paigow, Caribbean Stud, etc.) in which case by all means go for it. I don't really play any of those other than Paigow and I use that as a means to get free drinks and slowly bleed off chips.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:59 pm

Chad, how much do we owe you? My old Indy apartment has been officially rented out so now I have an extra $1,000 to dick around with and I want to cover all my debts.

Merk

Post by Merk » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:34 pm

EVO 2012: